Beginners and Beyond

Thursdailies - Thank me later (Read 48 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

CoolWELCOME TO THE DAILIES THREAD!Cool

Anyone and everyone can post your runs, cross-training, abdominal work, rest days, race plans, training questions, etc.. The only stupid question is the one you did not post. There’s a great mix of beginners and veterans, runners and walkers, and maniacs and returners, from injury to running. We're all a little crazy here, too! While this thread is a terrific source of motivation for runners and serves as outstanding accountability, you’ll quickly find this remarkable group to be highly supportive of all life experiences. So, come on in, put your feet up, and stay a while (not literally)! And whoever is up first is welcome to start the thread and we definitely keep some weird hours here.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Ugh...Running/life lesson that I learn repeatedly?  One can't try to train like a pro and live like a complete beginner.  Yesterday's afternoon run was pretty rough.  I started out fairly hard, and then by about 6 miles in thought, wow, it's really hot and quite humid.  Taking my shirt off helped for a while, but as I continued to tire, I thought, huh, it's 1pm and so far today I've had a 1/2 bowl of cereal and nothing to drink.  Needless to say, I did not make it my intended 14 miles but instead stopped and walked after 11 miles.

For me, diet continues to be the hardest part of training regularly.  I've never been a bad eater, but prior to running, I was never disciplined with my food and drink (especially the drink as I'm perpetually under-hydrated).  I try, but I still fail quite a bit.  And, I'm wondering if training at about 5lbs lighter than I did last cycle isn't working very well?

The evening run was better, and since I was a little irked at myself I ran the 5 group miles pretty hard, sprinting the big hill and closing with 2 MP miles.

I'm up early for 10 miles with my strong running partner, so maybe he'll help to get me out of this malaise that I've been in this week.

LRB

And, I'm wondering if training at about 5lbs lighter than I did last cycle isn't working very well?

It sounds to me like you might be running low on carbs for the voluime and type of running you are doing.  That seven layer burrito from Taco Bell will add about 68 grams of the good stuff to your daily intake, and is relatively easy to choke down.

Fitting in an 8 ounce cup of rice, potatoes, or pasta will work as well.

I am up for an as yet undetermined amount of miles.  This week has been funny as I have not decided where or for how long I am going to run until i head out the door.

Having a Garmin helps with that as I can just run, and not worry about mapping routes and what not.

Up next though, Mrs. Coffee.

delicate flower

Happy Friday!  Well it's Friday for me, anyway...plus I leave work early today for a PT appointment.  Just two more appointments after today and I am DONE.

Last night I ran one of my favorite routes, which includes about two miles on a dirt path.  9.3 miles at 8:49 pace.  I hadn't run that route since last October, since it was covered in snow all winter plus I wasn't allowed to run on trails after surgery until last week.  I set out for an easy run, which it was for the first four miles.  I forgot how tough the second half of that run is though and I got tired the last two miles.  Turns out it's the second fastest I've run that route, which I'm happy with since it certainly wasn't that hard an effort.   

Another busy day in the office.  Have a great Thursday, and welcome to August.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Working from home.  12 miles later tonight.

SIAR, you need to eat more before you run and you know it.  Also, running in the Summer at noon is hard (impossible down here but I assume over there is not that bad).  You're running in the hottest part of the day without food.  Shame on you!  Considered yourself whipped and sniffed!

LRB, enjoy the miles.

Baboon, jealous of your Friday.

Damaris

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

10.15 miles at 7:49 pace for me. The run felt good. Running with the store owner is always a good way to catch up and hear some good info. I think I had shared that I'll be volunteering at the Akron Marathon? He just let me know that I'll be in a small group catering to the invited runners, which should be a pretty cool experience. I also think I inadvertently volunteered to run the 1:30 pace group at that half I'm pacing 8/17. Oops.

LRB...you're probably right on the carbs (and I love me some TB). Have a good ROUD.

Baboon...nice work on the evening run. Hopefully August brings some August weather.

Docket...I know - not smart. Enjoy the MLR later.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Wink

Rest day for me. Besides it gives SIAR a chance to be in the lead

I have run 15 days in a row. Time to take a day off even if I really don't want to.

Marjorie

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Wink

Rest day for me. Besides it gives SIAR a chance to be in the lead

I have run 15 days in a row. Time to take a day off even if I really don't want to.

Aww. Thank you! Enjoy your rest.

StepbyStep-SH

Morning, all!

Shaking my mom-finger at SIAR: You need to eat breakfast to fuel your day, young man! (Which is exactly what I've been telling my 7-year-old for the last 30 minutes as he would rather read than eat right now. Roll eyes)

4.35 recovery-ish miles this morning. I kept them even slower than everything else has been this week, because I am going to try for 18 tomorrow, which will put all 50 miles for my week into 5 days. And I haven't run more than 43 mpw in several months. Wish me luck!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Pinktastic

Good Morning Runners!!

You know I like mornings for the most part – I just wish I didn’t have to get up to enjoy them…..     At least there’s coffee….    :-)

SIAR – Thanks for starting us off.   Sorry that yesterday’s run was so tough, but it looks like you bounced right back with this morning’s run.  Good for you!!   Now go eat and get some hydration going!!

LRB – Enjoy the quality time with Mrs. Coffee this morning!!   Hope your run goes fantastically as well!!

Phil – Happy Friday to you!!   What are your big plans for the long weekend?   Great run last night!!

Damaris – I hope that the quiet of working from home helps you be super productive today!   Have a wonderful run later!

Marjorie – You surprised me with the SRD, but good for you!!    Enjoy it!!

Shari – Nice run this morning – and great advice about breakfast!   Fingers crossed your 18 go smoothly tomorrow!!

87 degrees and 77% humidity this morning.   Bleck!   I was sweating just turning around to lock the front door!!   Ugh!   I did manage to slog through 4.80 miles.   It was not enjoyable, but I’m glad that I stuck it out and got it done.   Last day of babysitting visitors at the office today.  Woo hoo!!   I might even work from home tomorrow!!

Have a Pinktacular Thursday!!   And, may your next run motivate you to surpass your own expectations and goals!!

- Sarah

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Hip Redux

A seven-layer burrito before running seems like a great way to have a visit from the poo monster.

SIAR - I think just eating more before a mid-day run will help.  I couldn't function at 1pm with no food in me, let alone exercise.

LRB - enjoy your coffee and run.

Phil - my friday too. Big grin

D - enjoy the run tonight.  Ankle ok?

Marjorie - have a great RD!

Step - good luck on the 18 tomorrow!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Hi!

SRD for me. Thunderstorms all day makes it seem like a good idea.

Hip Redux

Also - I ran my XC race last night, with minimal pain.  It was the first run in probably a month where I felt that I actually had a full range of motion in that hip.   Today is not much worse painwise than yesterday.  So  I am not sure WTF is going on.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oski, thanks for asking.  Ankle is OK!

Ugh, I have a new case just filed with hearings tomorrow and a conference call at 3pm.  This day turned from nice and quiet to WTF.  I have until 3pm to read 200 pages.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy First Day of August.  Today's  holidays are World-Wide Web Day and US Air Force Day!   Having done 24 years in the Air Force myself, I am partial to that second one!  Air Force Day was established on August 1, 1947, by President Truman "in recognition of the personnel of the victorious Army Air Forces and all those who have developed and maintained our nation's air strength." August 1 was chosen to mark the 40th anniversary of the establishment, in 1907, of the Aeronautical Division in the Office of the Chief Signal Officer of the Army.

internet cartoons, internet cartoon, internet picture, internet pictures, internet image, internet images, internet illustration, internet illustrations

internet cartoons, internet cartoon, internet picture, internet pictures, internet image, internet images, internet illustration, internet illustrations

air force cartoons, air force cartoon, air force picture, air force pictures, air force image, air force images, air force illustration, air force illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt