Beginners and Beyond

Would you wear any Boston 2014 merchandise? (Read 104 times)

happylily

Huh, I can't find it on their website!  I'm a dummy.

If this was a regular ol' Boston Marathon year, then I think the situation might be different.  But the marathon took on a much larger meaning last year that I really don't think "poser" plays a factor here.   There was SO MUCH Boston gear out and about last year after the marathon around here.

And, no one has ever asked if I've run Boston when I wear the visor or shirt.  Probably in the same way people don't ask if I play baseball when I wear my Sox hat.    Maybe it would be different if it were the jacket, I dunno.

You certainly are no dummy. That's MY title anyway, hands off of it.  Here is the link

Yes, I agree completely about it being a special year. Boston 2014 is a celebration of all runners, in a way.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Nevrgivup

I better start looking for stuff if they are selling out! Smile I'm sure the expo will have all kinds of fun stuff. I'm sure they will be getting more sizes in though. One would think.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

happylily

I better start looking for stuff if they are selling out! Smile I'm sure the expo will have all kinds of fun stuff. I'm sure they will be getting more sizes in though. One would think.

Hilary, if you see something you like in your size and are thinking of buying, don't hesitate too long. Last year, I went to the expo on Sunday morning, when they were opening, and they had almost nothing left in size XS and very little in the small. It was frustrating.

Nevrgivup

Hilary, if you see something you like in your size and are thinking of buying, don't hesitate too long. Last year, I went to the expo on Sunday morning, when they were opening, and they had almost nothing left in size XS and very little in the small. It was frustrating.

I'll be going on Friday so hopefully they will have some things in my size. Can't wait. Smile

#artbydmcbride

I always wanted to buy a 'I'm in training for Boston 2014' shirt, but they don't have such a thing....a missed merchandizing opportunity for them....

Runners run

happylily

I always wanted to buy a 'I'm in training for Boston 2014' shirt, but they don't have such a thing....a missed merchandizing opportunity for them....

LOL...

Inknburn has a "I run Boston" shirt and another one which is identical except it says "I run for Boston". Of course, it it's not Adidas, it's not the "real deal". :-)

DavePNW

I would buy the "I'm in training for Boston 2025", because that is when I enter the AG where I have a chance at qualifying....

Dave

hugsy

I've never bought a race shirt for a race that I haven't run, and Boston is no different. I *might* buy the jacket when I run it if it's a good color combo. But what people wear doesn't bother me. If you like it, buy it.
                  Nevrgivup

10-11 years ago I did what many find unthinkable, ordered a pair of 2002 Boston Marathon shorts even though I never entered that race. My reasoning was to inspire me on my quest to qualify / run the 2007 Boston Marathon when I turned 50 YO. It had been 7 years since I'd last BQ / run Boston and there was no guarantee I'd reach my goal, seeing my last marathon in 2000 was over 5 hours. But since I'd given myself a number of years to chip away at it I was willing to try.

Those 1st two years, which were the most challenging mentally and physically, I wore those shorts every day I trained. All I had to do was look down to remind myself why I was out there. If anyone asked I would have been happy to explain - no one did. I guess it made it a little easier seeing I'd already qualified for Boston three times and run it twice. Not to mnetion a 3:05 marathon that didn't qualify me due to the strick [2:50] standard back in the day. So it wasn't like I was major poser. I pretty much engulfed myself in everything Boston back then while hoping my foot would some day heal so I could begin the training required vs the maintainence miles I'd been limited. The shorts are, like me, a bit faded from wear but I still have them.

It would depend on the individual, what I'd think. In your case I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought. Does everyone that wears a professional team jersey play sports? 1st impressions would suggest not.

I love every thing about this Mike. <3

Nevrgivup

You Rang?

I would buy the "I'm in training for Boston 2025", because that is when I enter the AG where I have a chance at qualifying....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  TRUTH! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

happylily

Sounds like some people here need a dose of self-confidence and optimism. 

Hilary, thanks! Those are really cute!

LRB

I do not think it is any secret here what I think about what other people do with their lives, time or money:

As for me, no I am not wearing one, but I generally do not wear or post identifying material of any kind on my car or home be it politics, religion, or the latest cause.

The three exceptions to that are the American flag, violence against women, and child abuse.

Nata2011

I bought a unicorn toy at the 2013 expo...I was not

even intending to run a marathon distance - just was supporting a friend

last time I checked Ralph Lauren was happily peddling official olympics clothes collection in all Macy's stores

Happylilly - you ran Boston few too many times so rock that shirt!

I have quite a few tech tees from local races that I didn't run, thanks to thrift store cherry picking.  If asked about that particular race, I'd just shrug and tell the truth:  "I didn't run this one, but it's a nice shirt for $2 at Amvets."

Marathons are different.  My Dad got me a Boston 2012 hoodie since he was there shortly after the race, and I wouldn't put the thing on until I had qualified for 2013.  I still won't wear it out -- someone is bound to ask "how did you survive the 90 degree heat?!"

And the 2013 jacket? It is an attention magnet.  Run in it, and cars honk.  Put it on after a race, and strangers will come up and start talking about their Boston experiences as if I've known them for years.  If I'm not feeling especially social, I won't wear it.  Definitely not something I'd wear if I hadn't been there.