Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies (Read 45 times)

Hip Redux

We are. The TomTom nerds are sticking together.

LRB

Cyberic

'Sup True!

3 miles easy + 5 x 1000 intervals at VO2 max done on the treadmill.  Believe me when I tell you that I did not want any part of a speed work session this morning right up until the moment it was time to fire it up, ugh.

Turned out to be a solid workout though which says something for the obligations of training goals.

Now it's time to do what I do; gain weight. lol

Similar to mine: I did 6 x 3 minutes at ~ I speed (something like 750-800 meters), with 2 minutes E between. About 3 miles combined W/U and C/D. On an indoor track though, not on a TM.

From the Internet.

The roads are crap and I'm not super interested in turning an ankle or getting hit by a car, so no running outside, and I'm not going to work today so no treadmill either. Hour or so of shoveling this morning, will do some strength stuff later just so I feel like I did *something* today. Also did a long run's worth of shoveling yesterday (2.5 hours). We've gotten over 6 feet of snow between January 26 and today. The snowbanks are now over my head. All this shovel cross-training has to count for something in fitness terms, right?

Was thinking of running a 10 mile race (just easy pace, nothing crazy) on Sunday in the next town over because it's not the treadmill and I will not be the only runner trying not to get hit by a car, but now it's supposed to snow Saturday night into Sunday, so maybe not :C Winter, please be over soon!!

LRB

Had lunch now I am back in the office for personal stuff.. I have an 80 minute TRX class after work at 6:00 which in my current state should thoroughly kick my ass.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

5.1 intervals. Crampy hamstring interfered a bit but I got them done.  The wind made it tough too.  We get the circular stuff so no matter which way you go you are pretty much running into the wind.

Marjorie

DaveP MI, smokin’ intervals. I hope that your knee is OK.

Half Crazy K 2.0, enjoy your time on the TM.

Phil, have an excellent easy run.

Damaris, have fun doing Pilates, six miles, and lifting.

Shari, good luck.

B-Plus, excellent eight last night.

FreeSoul 87, brava on the running and the lifting.

Happy Birthday, scottydawg! Have a great run on the Riverwalk.

Zelanie, have a wonderful track workout.

Jack K., have an awesome tempo run.

Cyberic99, nice interval workout on the track.

Lauren710, enjoy weight training.

Rick, blazing intervals. Have fun with TRX.

Marjorie, fantastic 5.1 o'intervals.

The MBTA trains are out of service today. I took a bus to Haymarket, then walked a bit more than two miles to Kenmore Square, where I caught a bus that took me to the gym. I did forty-five more minutes of TM work. My bouts of running are now up to five minutes, before I have to clear my congestion. I’m having to use the PEP device and the neti more frequently, but I’ll take it, if it means being able to run.

After work, I’ll return to the gym for weights and cardio. Good times.

Forty-eight more days until I’m in a place with completely visible sidewalks.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

OK,here you go - and sorry to the 'real winter' folks for this  - but what a GREAT birthday run/walk.  Got down to the San Antonio Riverwalk about 11 a.m., ended up doing 4 miles under BEAUTIFUL blue skies and lots of sunshine in a 68 degree temp, sweet.

And then afterwards, sat on the patio of the Blue Star Brewery with this view of perfect blue skies and this lovely house right across the river....

photo riverwalk birthday_zpsovrnkd4h.jpg

...and enjoyed a cold  "pale ale" lager...as I relaxed post run....loot at all that BLUE sky behind me...sweet!  Can't beat it for February!

photo Riverwalk scotty_zps6tir4spr.jpg

.what a nice way to end a run!  Beautiful weather, nice post-run drink...and made a couple new friends, as I chatted for a few minutes with one of the guys at the table next to me and found out he had lived in the town I grew up in.  Small world!

Really nice birthday run! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Cyberic

What sucks about TomTom, to me, is that they don't support ANT+, and so my ANT+ peripherals would be wasted. I have a Timex, and will likely stay with Timex or switch to Garmin, given that they still support ANT+, when I change my watch.

Oh and Scotty, thanks for rubbing it in 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What sucks about TomTom, to me, is that they don't support ANT+, and so my ANT+ peripherals would be wasted. I have a Timex, and will likely stay with Timex or switch to Garmin, given that they still support ANT+, when I change my watch.

Oh and Scotty, thanks for rubbing it in 

I used to love the ANT+ but have you noticed the newer Garmins have gone back to plugging them in instead of ANT+.  My husband has one of the recent Garmins and there are no ANT+ compatibility either.  It might be they will no longer carry ANT+ in the future either.

Damaris

LRB

I do not really care as much about uploading workouts as I did anymore. For me it was just nice to create precise workouts on Garmin connect, but I can push the stupid button lap button every time I pass the old oak tree then again when I pass the metal bench if necessary, sigh.

StepbyStep-SH

Good news on the knee front:

1) The people who originally looked at the MRI were imagining things when they thought the femoral collateral ligament was torn. It is perfectly fine.

2) ACL is partially-torn, but he thinks it is "acute on chronic" meaning I partially tore it at some time in the past, and may have torn it a bit more this time around. But because I have functioned quite well with it partially torn for quite some time, I can likely continue to do so again. He does recommend that I wear a brace when doing anything involving turns, twists or downhills, especially after the meniscus scope. He did say that there is a good chance I will be able to work with a PT to get to the point, a few months after the meniscus surgery, where I might be able to trust the knee without the brace. And if I can't, I could consider an ACL reconstruction at a later point.

Next steps: Back to my primary health system for a meniscus scope (take out the torn chunk and smooth off some rough cartilage in the joint), PT, and maybe back to normal activity in 6-12 weeks after the scope.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

1) The people who originally looked at the MRI were imagining things when they thought the femoral collateral ligament was torn. It is perfectly fine.

2) ACL is partially-torn, but he thinks it is "acute on chronic" meaning I partially tore it at some time in the past, and may have torn it a bit more this time around. But because I have functioned quite well with it partially torn for quite some time, I can likely continue to do so again. He does recommend that I wear a brace when doing anything involving turns, twists or downhills, especially after the meniscus scope. He did say that there is a good chance I will be able to work with a PT to get to the point, a few months after the meniscus surgery, where I might be able to trust the knee without the brace. And if I can't, I could consider an ACL reconstruction at a later point.

Next steps: Back to my primary health system for a meniscus scope (take out the torn chunk and smooth off some rough cartilage in the joint), PT, and maybe back to normal activity in 6-12 weeks after the scope.

I'm glad it's good news for you. Still sounds like a tough time ahead, but in the big scheme of things, it's nothing that you cannot handle, Shari. Do you have any idea when you could have done the initial damage?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cyberic

Glad your post started with "Good news" because I didn't understand much of the rest, except for the brace part which I understood.

StepbyStep-SH

I'm glad it's good news for you. Still sounds like a tough time ahead, but in the big scheme of things, it's nothing that you cannot handle, Shari. Do you have any idea when you could have done the initial damage?

I thought the initial damage may have been from high school basketball when I ended up benched for 6 weeks (but never went to a doctor ), but the surgeon said he doubted that as a 17-year-old I would have recovered from a partial ACL tear the way I did then. So ... dunno. No other event sticks out in my mind.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.