Beginners and Beyond

Today Is Brought To You By The Friday Penguins! (Read 29 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Hello Hello Penguins!

Yesterday I ran 6 miles with 8x15 second hill sprints. That was some workout. Might try to get 4 miles tonight.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Morning all!

6 easy done. DD looks better but will need to confirm jaundice level with tmr blood test.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

obiebyke

Nice job, runners! Another SRD for me, which is good because my leg is still hurting and now I have the cold that's going around my school. Good excuse to leave work early (I have some comp hours coming), take a nap, drink some tea...

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today is October 18th.  On this day in 1967, Walt Disney released the "Jungle Book" animated movie.

Today's Holidays: 

National Chocolate Cupcake Day!  I'm not fond of cupcakes myself, but for everyone who is, enjoy!

No Beard Day - Are you a clean-shaven person?  I had a beard and long hair in high school.....now I can't even stand my hair touching my ears, lol.  Guess a 24-year career in the military will do that to you!

World Menopause Day

Alaska Day - A legal holiday in the U.S. state of Alaska, the anniversary of the formal transfer of the Territory of Alaska from Russia to the U.S.

Grand Ole Opry Day - The Grand Ole Opry opened this day in 1925.

country music cartoons, country music cartoon, funny, country music picture, country music pictures, country music image, country music images, country music illustration, country music illustrations

country music cartoons, country music cartoon, funny, country music picture, country music pictures, country music image, country music images, country music illustration, country music illustrations

KEYWORD1  1998-05-18   monster  monsters  science fiction  sci fi  godzilla  zilla  luck  lucky

KEYWORD1  1995-07-26  lyle lovett  lovett  rock star  rock musician  hair  hair styles  curly hair

alaska cartoons, alaska cartoon, funny, alaska picture, alaska pictures, alaska image, alaska images, alaska illustration, alaska illustrations

alaska cartoons, alaska cartoon, funny, alaska picture, alaska pictures, alaska image, alaska images, alaska illustration, alaska illustrations

KEYWORD1  2004-07-01  mail  fed ex  delivery  deliveries  alaska  overnight  late delivery  late del

KEYWORD1  2000-10-23  monster  monsters  science fiction  vampire  vampires  dracula  winter  cold

cupcake, gossip, frosting, make up, jealousy, appearance,

KEYWORD1  2009-01-08  cat  cats  cat owner  cat owners  pet  pets  pet owner  pet owners

beard cartoons, beard cartoon, funny, beard picture, beard pictures, beard image, beard images, beard illustration, beard illustrations

beard cartoons, beard cartoon, funny, beard picture, beard pictures, beard image, beard images, beard illustration, beard illustrations

KEYWORD1  2012-03-18  family  parent  parents  parenting  mom  moms  mother  mothers

KEYWORD1  2011-01-26  cat  cats  feline  felines  pet  pets  animal  animals

KEYWORD1  2004-12-06  christmas  holiday  holidays  santa  santa claus  claus  kris kringle  st. nic

KEYWORD1  2011-12-18  christmas  holiday  holidays  santa  santa claus  claus  kris kringle  st. nic

http://www.martybucella.com/DHF122.gif

http://www.martybucella.com/DHF170.gif

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good morning, Penguins!

Really nice run/walk along the San Antonio Riverwalk yesterday after work!  Beautiful evening, 76 degrees, low humidity, low dewpoint.   Ended up with 4.2 miles.  Even got to treat a few doggies who were out walking with their Humans on the quiet side of the Riverwalk.  Actually, I probably went a little farther than 4.2 because on some of the crowded parts of the Riverwalk, I just turned my timer off and walked a bit until I got through the throngs of people and could run again.  But I only log the time that I'm actually doing my run/walk intervals, so 4.2 is in the books.    This week I ran Tues-Wed-Thurs.  I don't usually run 3 days in a row during the week, but the weather has been so great around here for a change that I just had to get out there and enjoy it.    Today is a rest day and this weekend for once I have NO races, so will just run on my own on Saturday and Sunday at a couple of the local parks.  I am sleepy today too...city water folks out in my neighborhood all night fixing something and running their trucks.  I got about 4 hours sleep.  Probably powernap at my desk today. Joking

Congrats on your workout, Gustav!

Glad your DD is better, Bin!

Hope you feel better obiebyke!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

Good morning.

Only working a half day today, then driving up to my hometown for a visit and a race.  But it's not really a race for me -- more like a social event / supported training run.

hog4life

Scotty, no races? Are you sick? Joking

Bin, glad little one is getting better.

Gustav, nice hill workout!

Obie, hope you get to feeling better.

Today is a RD for me. It's also the end of another 60 hour work week.

hog4life

Phillie, have fun at the not racing social event.

Zelanie

Morning, everyone!  Last night's social run went well.  There were a few new faces and we went to a new brewery that I haven't been to.  Plus one guy brought a photo of some penguins that he had taken when he ran the inaugural Antarctica Marathon!

We are going to the Shakespeare festival this weekend, so I don't know how much time we will have to check in.  Hope that everyone has a good weekend!

Gustav- You are becoming a pro on those hill sprints!  Good luck with your run later.

Bin- Glad you're able to fit in some miles.  Hope for good news on DD's test tomorrow.

Obie- Feel better!

Scotty- I think even your revised goal is a worthy one to aim for!  Enjoy your "rest" weekend!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

I'm taking the day off for no other reason than I freakin' want to!! I'm dropping dd off at school then going to the reservoir for a 12 mile run. Then to the car wash(because I don't want to do it myself) and to my favorite hole in the wall for a great breakfast burrito while I sit and read the paper!!  Lol. Sick days are there for a reason, you know.

Have a great weekend!

Sloooow.

Morning all.

Gustav, definitely sounds like a solid run! Hope the 4 tonight goes well.

Bin, glad your little one is looking a little less yellow Smile

Okiebyke, enjoy the rest day, sorry to hear about the cold though!

Scotty, hope you get a desk nap today! Only benefit to one deaf ear, if I sleep on my good side I can't hear anything. Sounds like some nice weather down in San Antonio.

Philliefan, hope you have a wonderful visit and race.

Mitch, enjoy your rest day. Seems to me you need an extra good nights sleep tonight.

Zelanie, have a great time at the Shakespeare festival. That sounds like a bunch of fun!

Jack, taking the day off and a 12 mile run in the same thought cracked me up. Have a great "day off" Big grin.

I need a kick in the pants! I have way too much stress right now. The ambulance company my partner works for lost their government contract at a local fort because of cutbacks. The companies owner decided to cut my partners salary 50%, but still expects him to work as he was before. He's already worked 35 hours this week, and this morning he left to do a 48 hour shift on a unit to try and make up the difference. I'm mad and lonely.

I still have some pain from surgery, Tuesday I started my "monthlies" for the first time in 3 years, and got a cold the same day. I ran 1.5 miles on Tuesday and nothing since. I have backache, headache, a cold, an earache, lol! And I'm tired. I'm not sleeping well because of job stresses and I have to get up at 6am to get ODD ready for school.

On top of that, he's away for a 48 hour shift and it's 54F outside. Perfect running temperature.

Thanks for letting me rant, I just wanted to get it off my chest. I should run on the treadmill today but I just don't want to do anything. I have 22 days until my 10K and I'm self sabotaging myself.

Zelanie

Coralie- When you're feeling like that, it's time to go for a run.  It won't fix any of the other crap, but you'll feel so much better afterward.

Jack- Enjoy the mental health day!

Dad on the run.

Ok, so I did a 10k last night around my neighborhood. I wore my Triumph with some insert called 10 second pro or something like that. Anyways the run went really well, very minor ITBS pain and honestly the worst was mile 3 where I ran slower. I'm pretty excited I manage to run the 10k under an hour and felt decent afterwards, at least well enough to spend some "alone" time with DW Wink lol.

Here are my splits for last nights run

<form>

<colgroup span="4"></colgroup> <tfoot> </tfoot>

Split Split

Hours:Minutes:Seconds Time

Miles Distance

Minutes per Mile Avg Pace

Summary 58:55.7 6.21 9:30
                              1 8:43.5 1.00 8:44
                              2 8:37.5 1.00 8:37
                              3 11:14.6 1.00 11:15
                              4 9:57.9 1.00 9:58
                              5 9:51.3 1.00 9:51
                              6 8:45.2 1.00 8:45
                              7 1:45.7 0.21 8:35

I also ran 4 this morning with negative splits but at a slower pace.

10:35, 10:34, 10:09, 9:58

Feeling pretty good about the shoes being the main reason I was having ITB issues. It's still there but did feel alot better lastnight and this morning.

Gustav - Good job with the hills

Bin - Glad your DD is doing better

Obie - Hope your leg starts feeling better soon, Sorry about the cold :/

Scotty - Way to go with the 4.2 and 3 days in a row of running

Phillie - Enjoy your not race

Hog - Hello there. Have I asked you yet if you were coming down for the Vulcan run on Nov 2nd?

Zelanie - Glad you enjoyed the social run

Jack - Enjoy your RD!

</form>

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Coralie - You snuck in on me, but I agree with Z, get out there and do a little run.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.