Beginners and Beyond

Sometimes the best race ever is a big fat DNF (FE pics though...and pics of my amazing cheerleader)! (Read 131 times)

Philliefan33

Kristen, what rotten luck to be prevented from finishing, but you have wonderful perspective. I'm glad you got to meet Judy!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks everyone for your positivity!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Plus we got to meet IRL!  Next time let's make it at a race we both finish Wink

Yay for meeting IRL it was really nice to meet you!!! I agree with you! If your offer still stands about pacing me I may take you up on it...I am eyeing that Prospect Park race on November 10th to make another try for sub-60. It is long enough after my October half marathon to have recovered, it is at a time of year that (hopefully!) we will not be running in awful, muggy, hot soup (please please please let it be 50 degrees!), and that date has no football conflicts (my dad has season tickets to Rutgers so I have to plan fall races around that because I try to go to as many home games as I can).

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

tracilynn

Best RR ever!Cool

~~~~~~~

Traci

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

"Like"

Very cool!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

GinnyinPA

What an amazing day. Sorry you didn't get to finish, but it sounds like a fun time was had anyway.

meaghansketch

Yay for meeting IRL it was really nice to meet you!!! I agree with you! If your offer still stands about pacing me I may take you up on it...I am eyeing that Prospect Park race on November 10th to make another try for sub-60. It is long enough after my October half marathon to have recovered, it is at a time of year that (hopefully!) we will not be running in awful, muggy, hot soup (please please please let it be 50 degrees!), and that date has no football conflicts (my dad has season tickets to Rutgers so I have to plan fall races around that because I try to go to as many home games as I can).

.Yes, the offer definitely stands, with the caveat that it'll be a week to the day after my marathon...  I have recovered pretty quickly from past marathons, and the pace shouldn't be overly challenging to me, but just be aware of the fact that at best I'm not going to be at 100%, and at worst... well, let's not go there.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Very, very cool. Smile

kristin: Is facebook the only way to sign up for that? That looks like a great organization.

Zelanie

Sounds like a fantastic day!  That sub-60 is yours for the taking, but the FE and getting to meet Judy was very special!

Antipodean

What a great cause to run for. You and Judy are lucky to have each other!

Sorry you didn't get a full race out of it, but it sounds like you made the best of it!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Mmmmm...beer

Who needs a race when you can have an FE and meet your I Run 4 match on the same day?  Sounds like a great day to me! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Love the Half

Wow.  In my 15 mile race last Saturday, I saw a big dark cloud and a huge bolt of lightning just after I got past the 14 mile mark.  I wondered if they were going to cancel the race and I think I would have cried if I had reached that point and then they cancelled.  Glad you had a great day anyway.  Sometimes, running is not about PR's and fast times.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Unfortunately, yes. I think it is because while you are of course free to also correspond with your match's parents privately, a lot of energy is derrived from everyone in the group posting pictures and messages back and forth in the group facebook page for everyone in the group to see as well as your match. I have heard of people making a facebook profile specifically for the group, though, if they don't use facebook for other things.

Very, very cool. Smile

kristin: Is facebook the only way to sign up for that? That looks like a great organization.

Baboon

delicate flower

Good stuff, Kristin!  Love the RR.  Smile

<3

bluerun

Super B****

It sucks that you didn't get to run the full race, but there were so many other awesome things about the day!  Personally, I know I'd be really, really pissed about not being able to finish, so it's doubly incredible to me that you have the perspective to recognize the good parts of the day over the aggravating.

Plus, it was so nice to finally meet you -- I think is the third or fourth race we've both done (well, been at), so it's good to know you're actually real.  Joking

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog