Beginners and Beyond

Saturdailies if we want them or not (Read 35 times)

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Happy Saturday!

I got in a hilly 6. Taking care of a few odds and ends then heading over to my best friend's house for dinner.

Ric-G

Are most school tracks open to public or do you need to ask before using? I know most of the school tracks here are fenced in, and I've never thought to check to see if the gates are locked or not, I figure if I do want to do some speed work I'd like to try it on a track every once in a while.

I've found most are open and the walkers there always know to keep to the outside lanes to let the runners do speed work....NOT.  That's the problem with most tracks. The truth is, no one owes me anything and I just accept walkers don't get it and don't care or need to care. Anyway I did 10 this morning and not a local track...have a great day all.

D2 - congrats, nice job!

marathon pr - 3:16

Hip Redux

6ish miles at tempo (HM) pace.  Which was kind of difficult because the snow removal was sporadic at best.

Here are the splits:

9:36

9:50

10:20

9:31

10:18

for an overall at 9:50, which is right on target.  The slower speeds were uphills and/or snowy/icy areas, so I was going just on "feeling" - I felt like I pretty much nailed what I wanted to do, which like never happens. lol

LRB

Look at you O!!

Nice race Dave!

Welp, it is offically mass hysteria here!  I went to meijer for one stupid carton of Silk and there were one million people there shopping in anticipation of 6 stinking inches of snow tomorrow!  Really?!

happylily

D2, awesome speed, congrats!

Oski, great miles in tough conditions! No pain at all now?

Ric, 10 miles is great on such a cold day.

LRB, people are in a state of panic because of the way the media are announcing what's to come. But I have to admit, it's nice to not have to go out at all when it gets that cold!

I did another 3 slow miles. 9 total for the day. Tomorrow will be a shortish LR and I start training next week. I can't wait!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

Oski, great miles in tough conditions! No pain at all now?

*KNOCK ON WOOD*   No groin pain.  No knee pain.  I have some low back pain today but honestly, I deal with that pretty much all the time anyway, so it is what it is.  I'll take it!

When is your next race?  Boston?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That is great, Oski!

I decided upon a URD instead.  Foot feels OK but I can feel it's not at 100% and I want to do a LR tomorrow.  Don't want to screw up next week's marathon.

Damaris

delicate flower

6ish miles at tempo (HM) pace.  Which was kind of difficult because the snow removal was sporadic at best.

Here are the splits:

9:36

9:50

10:20

10:18

for an overall at 9:50, which is right on target.  The slower speeds were uphills and/or snowy/icy areas, so I was going just on "feeling" - I felt like I pretty much nailed what I wanted to do, which like never happens. lol

HOORAY!!!

I skied hard today and my legs and knee are feeling it.  Now I'm sitting on the couch icing down while the rest of our group does some apres ski.  I got football and the dogs keeping me company.

<3

happylily

*KNOCK ON WOOD*   No groin pain.  No knee pain.  I have some low back pain today but honestly, I deal with that pretty much all the time anyway, so it is what it is.  I'll take it!

When is your next race?  Boston?

That's great news! Knee pain is always worrisome, of course, but groin pain is amazingly frustrating. I had to drastically reduce my mileage for 5 weeks 4 years ago after doing too many planks, which pulled something in my groin. I was running like a partially crushed mouse. Hated that period. Glad to see you running well again! Do you have a plan for your goal half or are you making your own as you go?

No, no Boston this year. I fear it will be too crowded for my abilities. I felt very uncomfortable on the narrow road last year, with 23,000 runners. Imagine how I would feel now with 35,000 participants. I'm so blind that I would trip many people, no doubt. Hopefully one day they will bring the field down again. For me. 

DavePNW

Well despite all my fretting, turned out to be a decent day for a run. Sunny, windchill at least in the teens, wind got rough at times but mostly bearable. Did I mention sunny? Makes all the difference. Got in 16 miles, so my longish run for the week is out of the way & I can sit back & wait for the snow, then the plunging temps.

Brings me to 48 for the week, 5 miles tomorrow gets me a new PB weekly mileage. Cooler is that since last week's LR was Sunday, my "last 7 days" mileage is 65. 

Dave

happylily

That is great, Oski!

I decided upon a URD instead.  Foot feels OK but I can feel it's not at 100% and I want to do a LR tomorrow.  Don't want to screw up next week's marathon.

Wise decision, D. It's not worth risking making things worse. And I'm so glad that Daisy is eating again! Is the yellowish tone gone as well?

Just B.S.

Great news!

Hip Redux

HOORAY!!!

I skied hard today and my legs and knee are feeling it.  Now I'm sitting on the couch icing down while the rest of our group does some apres ski.  I got football and the dogs keeping me company.

Thanks Smile

I had to google apres ski.  

Happylily - groin pain (specifically adductor tendonitis) is redonkulous.   Both my ortho and my PT said - "be prepared, that takes a long, long time to heal".   Yeah, well, I wasn't prepared for SIX MONTHS.    We all started getting nervous thinking it was a labral tear, but it seems like I've turned a corner.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Wise decision, D. It's not worth risking making things worse. And I'm so glad that Daisy is eating again! Is the yellowish tone gone as well?

Not sure.  I cannot tell.  And she is not eating on her own.  It was all my force feeding.  But she has not lost weight (although this morning she weighed less because she threw up).  Hoping numbers improve by Monday, which is when she goes back.

Funny how Hershey's results came back negative (for UTI bacteria), so the vet agrees it was all in his head.  When I took Trixie in on Wednesday, he again had problems urinating.  He must be scared his partner for 7 years would not come back.

Damaris

Just B.S.

Thanks Smile

I had to google apres ski.  

Happylily - groin pain (specifically adductor tendonitis) is redonkulous.   Both my ortho and my PT said - "be prepared, that takes a long, long time to heal".   Yeah, well, I wasn't prepared for SIX MONTHS.    We all started getting nervous thinking it was a labral tear, but it seems like I've turned a corner.

My hubby dealt with it for almost 2 years. I am sure he would have healed faster if he had stopped running

marathons (spring and  fall) until it was resolved. We both took up swimming one year ago and for 4 months

were swimming 3-5 times a week which for him seemed to be a turning point with the pain. Perhaps because

of the core strengthening and great stretch you get with freestyle? Not sure but it seemed to help him.

He also became religious about his PT exercises after a year of pain but not being consistent with

the physio.

He did his most recent marathon cycle  this summer/ fall pretty much symptom free which was

wonderful for me to see. I am sure Mr Oski feels the same about your progress Smile