Beginners and Beyond

Saturdailies if we want them or not (Read 35 times)

StepbyStep-SH

Look at you O!!

Nice race Dave!

Welp, it is offically mass hysteria here!  I went to meijer for one stupid carton of Silk and there were one million people there shopping in anticipation of 6 stinking inches of snow tomorrow!  Really?!

One of my friends posted pictures of people lined up 6 deep at the grocery store here today. Really? Yes, it is going to be cold. This is Wisconsin. That happens in the winter. And it is only for a couple of days, not a month.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I do not go to the supermarket before a hurricane, LRB.  It's pandemonium!  Don't ever go before a storm.

Damaris

Hip Redux

And why do people always buy perishables before a storm?  So that when your electricity goes out, you can have spoiled milk in the fridge?

One winter they were interviewing folks at a Home Depot before a big storm, and they were saying shovels were flying off the shelves.  HOW do you live in New England and not own a shovel already!  

DavePNW

I went to the grocery store with DW this morning & it was actually pretty empty. But interesting experience anyway. DW does the (vast) majority of the grocery shopping, but asked me to come with; it was a new store just opened up so I was kind of curious to check it out. (And looking for an excuse to postpone my run.) You know how some places these days have a coffee bar? This place has a BAR bar - beer & wine anyway. Including 4 local craft brews on tap. It was only 9AM but I was sure tempted. Plus - free samples of pie. I think I will be going grocery shopping more often.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.utrend.tv/v/cat-dog/

Figure this would make most of ya'lls day, sadly it is true even in my house between Rocky and the cats.

They've changed the early morning weather from snow to rain Sad which won't become snow until later in the afternoon/evening and then 20 mph winds to go with it 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

And why do people always buy perishables before a storm?  So that when your electricity goes out, you can have spoiled milk in the fridge?

One winter they were interviewing folks at a Home Depot before a big storm, and they were saying shovels were flying off the shelves.  HOW do you live in New England and not own a shovel already!  

Well, we do buy beer.  It always makes the news.  And rum.

And about the shovels, I compare it with the storm thingies.  Why don't you have storm shutters already and you need to storm into Home Depot as the Category 5 is coming in?

Damaris

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Good evening, Dailies!

Since today was the calm before the storm (literally), I chose to do a short run today instead of tomorrow when we get rain/snow/falling temps. 2.5 miles for me today, which is the longest I've run in 2 months. We'll see how the knee feels before I decide whether to seek additional medical treatment or remove myself from the injured reserve list.

It was a pretty nice day here - high of 43, but sunny and a light-medium breeze. No indication that the SHTF tomorrow and Monday.

Hope everyone had a great day!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I have two snow shovels and I live in Tennessee, where it doesn't snow much. And, when it does, it melts within a day or two. Shoveling the drive is futile, but certainly entertains the neighbors. Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

DavePNW

That is indeed a puzzler, but I can only imagine due to (1) new homeowners, (2) people looking to pick up a 2nd or 3rd, to try to get the rest of the family to pitch in.

Dave

LRB

No, so they can eat them shits up in one sitting!  lol

Hip Redux

That is indeed a puzzler, but I can only imagine due to (1) new homeowners, (2) people looking to pick up a 2nd or 3rd, to try to get the rest of the family to pitch in.

I dunno.  It happens so often that you'd think people are just buying new shovels every year! They're reusable, folks.

And proof I haven't made up this silly phenomena:

Many people are also taking precautions, grabbing ice melt and making sure they have enough shovels.

"Well I am still amazed at when people buy snow shovels. You know I don't know if they throw them away after each storm. I don't know, it just seems they are buying shovels and ice melts," said Jeff Salk of Salk's Ace Hardware in North Kingstown and Warwick.

http://www.abc6.com/story/24342938/southern-new-england-preps-for-winter-storm

Zelanie

I dunno.  It happens so often that you'd think people are just buying new shovels every year! They're reusable, folks.

And proof I haven't made up this silly phenomena:

Many people are also taking precautions, grabbing ice melt and making sure they have enough shovels.

"Well I am still amazed at when people buy snow shovels. You know I don't know if they throw them away after each storm. I don't know, it just seems they are buying shovels and ice melts," said Jeff Salk of Salk's Ace Hardware in North Kingstown and Warwick.

http://www.abc6.com/story/24342938/southern-new-england-preps-for-winter-storm

My guess is that people have so much crap they have no idea where to find the shovels that they do have, if they still have them.

LRB

My guess is that people have so much crap they have no idea where to find the shovels that they do have, if they still have them.

lol

I am so cheap it would take a lot more than a storm warning for me to part with my hard earned dough!

happylily

5-mile "race" this morning, though I ran just as a regular run because my stomach is still a little flip-floppy and I haven't run in 5 days. Conditions were great (30* and only a bit of wind), and I managed to overdress. Ended up about marathon pace - 43:2x for a time, which was surprisingly good for 2nd in my AG. Apparently none of the faster locals are running the series this year - in 2011, that time would have been 7th in the 40-49 AG.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get to Lily's house for dinner! Yum!

Stay warm and safe, people!

I missed this! Congratulations, Shari! Wow... I can't believe you are now in the 40-49 AG... It was yesterday that I viewed you as one of my little running sisters. Now you're one of us...how would I say this... one of the wiser ladies here. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

We are lucky that we've never been without power for more than 8 hours. And when it happened, it was summer. But our neighbors were here in 1998, during the ice storm, and they were three weeks without power. If it happened to us now, we would NOT be ready. No canned food, no water, no chopped wood for the fireplace, no generator, no little camping burner, no candles, maybe one flashlight in the whole house (with dead batteries in). And my TM would not work!!! OMG, what would I do???

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010