Beginners and Beyond

DAILIES for Wednesday (Read 45 times)

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Everyone is different, but I personally would not be doing so much leg work during the running season.  In fact, I am not doing any now and you could not pay me to.

As for running and lifting on low calories, it can be done so long as you include complex carbs like rice, grains, bread, pasta and those things in your daily allotment of 1200 calories.  Once you adapt to that, 1600 is more than enough for maintenance.

Low calorie and low carb while running and lifting however, is a recipe for disaster.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm in running season right now.  I just started running really beginning of May.  I'm still terrified to race and don't have any races planned... I do include some complex carbs.  I did try low-carb while running at one point and it was, indeed, disastrous.

I think maybe from here on out, tho ugh, I'll stick to just the 2 lifting days that include legs per week and get in some more sprints.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Mmmmm...beer

I have only had one run in them so far and they feel good. They are very light and "fast" feeling but I wonder if they are "too" light for a trainer. They were a great price but I hope they last more than 250 miles. I am a mid to forefoot striker so I think they will. Maybe someone else can chime in?

I'm rotating two pairs of Kinvara 3's right now.  They have 88 and 75 miles on them, and I've had 'em up to 18 miles (2.5 hours) and they were great.  They seem to be wearing well.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

Well, I wouldn't say I'm in running season right now.  I just started running really beginning of May. 

Ah, I got it.

I went low calorie this past winter but the bulk of my calories came in the form of beans, potatoes, rice, pasta and bread.  Salads and veggies were only a small part of my dietary intake.

Be careful with meats when going low calorie as they take up a huge chunk of your allotment while offering little in terms of glycogen production assistance, which is what runners need more than than anything.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Ah, I got it.

I went low calorie this past winter but the bulk of my calories came in the form of beans, potatoes, rice, pasta and bread.  Salads and veggies were only a small part of my dietary intake.

Be careful with meats when going low calorie as they take up a huge chunk of your allotment while offering little in terms of glycogen production assistance, which is what runners need more than than anything.

My body doesn't seem to do too well on too many carbs.  I eat about 40/40/20 carbs/protein/fat.  I guess I could try upping my carbs a bit and see if I feel better.  I also think it's different for men vs. women, you know?  Hormonally and so forth...

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

LRB

My body doesn't seem to do too well on too many carbs.  I eat about 40/40/20 carbs/protein/fat.  I guess I could try upping my carbs a bit and see if I feel better.  I also think it's different for men vs. women, you know?  Hormonally and so forth...

Yes, ultimately do what works for you.  But to your original query, you can run and lift on 1200 calories.

Hip Redux

Ah, I got it.

The re-synthesis of glycogen post-exercise is enhanced with protein, and muscle healing also needs protein - and beans are just not as good a source of protein as meat (vegetarians, don't slam me, it's just the reality of it all).  I don't understand why you would not eat meat and veggies but would be eating potatoes, rice and bread on a low calorie diet.   That seems like a total mis-appropriation of calories.  Hell, at that point, just screw it - eat your calories in cupcakes, man!   lol

Scap - I think 1200 is way too low for the type of work you are doing.   IMO, only.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Hell, at that point, just screw it - eat your calories in cupcakes, man!   lol

This is what I do. No complaints. Big grin

Hip Redux

This is what I do. No complaints. Big grin

I think we all can get behind the 100% carb cupcake diet.  lol

B-Plus

3.7 @ 8:18. Gonna do some hip junk now while watching the rest of the Wings/Hawks.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Marjorie and I had a great dinner at the Lebanese restaurant.  Now I'm watching the Heat game.  One of the VERY few things I like about Miami.

Damaris

LRB

The re-synthesis of glycogen post-exercise is enhanced with protein, and muscle healing also needs protein - and beans are just not as good a source of protein as meat (vegetarians, don't slam me, it's just the reality of it all).  I don't understand why you would not eat meat and veggies but would be eating potatoes, rice and bread on a low calorie diet.   That seems like a total mis-appropriation of calories.  Hell, at that point, just screw it - eat your calories in cupcakes, man!   lol

Scap - I think 1200 is way too low for the type of work you are doing.   IMO, only.

I do not eat meat because I am a vegetarian lol.

I have nothing against meat and obviously veggies, I was just responding to the dilemma of trying to train on 1200 daily calories, which I believe can be done, because I have done something similar for similar reasons.

My point was simply about ratios, (carbs to protein to fat) and food portions, but I am too far into this wine bottle though to get into a debate about protein needs and how they apply to the athlete, so to that I will just say you win!    Big grin

Hip Redux

Marjorie and I had a great dinner at the Lebanese restaurant.  Now I'm watching the Heat game.  One of the VERY few things I like about Miami.

I envision the two of you getting together involving some sort of crazy ass 20 mile run. lol   Glad you guys had fun!

Robert31320

Team TJ

Just got a text that I may be running partner less tomorrow morning.  I may not be able to sleep from the excitement!

Running for TJ because he can't.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Unfortunately, she is staying 30 minutes away so we cannot run tomorrow morning but that was my first thought!

I envision the two of you getting together involving some sort of crazy ass 20 mile run. lol   Glad you guys had fun!

Damaris

DavePNW

Except when they blow an 18 point lead in the 3rd quarter.

Dave