Beginners and Beyond

The latest craze, the ice bucket challenge (Read 98 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

You should donate and not tell anyone you donated.

No one has ever explicitly said, "I'm donating and making a big deal out of donating because I want people to think I'm a terrific person."  Everyone says, "I'm donating and making a big deal out of donating because I want to 'raise awareness.'"  I'm sure that same excuse was used 2,000 years ago.  Again, just to be clear, I am atheistic.  I do not believe in the existence of any higher being.  I still think the 2,000 year old observation is exceedingly insightful about the real motivations for most who make much of what they do.  One quick story.

My father is a retired minister.  One time, someone anonymously donated a full set of handbells to the church.  That is not a cheap donation.  Everyone knew who made the donation.  Everyone was wrong.  I was one of the very few people who knew who the real donor was and even I didn't know until years later.  Don't get me wrong.  It wasn't some old lady who had saved her dimes over the years but it was someone who was typically quiet, didn't assume leadership roles, and was mostly just part of the background.  That, to me, is significantly more admirable than coming up with creative ways to dump ice on  yourself.

Wow, that is so very interesting.  Please tell us more about your opinion on the matter.

<3

Cyberic

Narcissistic? Sure. But no more so than most of what people out on Facebook. Are you a better person if you give to charity in secret? Maybe. But this has raised a crapton of money for ALS research, and those benefited by it probably could not care less how many egos it fed. This will certainly give rise to a spate of copycat trends, because it worked.

I agree. I prefer seeing Ice Bucket Challenge than games high scores on Facebook.

I've watched two IBC videos: The first one was to know what it was, and the other one was from a friend of mine because I thought he'd call me out (but didn't).  Does it work? If it raises money for research, yeah, it works. If it raises awareness on how this is one of the worse diseases one can have, yeah it works. And now it's my turn to offend some people: If it raises awareness that assisted suicide, in some circumstances, should be allowed, then yeah, it works.

happylily

I briefly read about it and maybe I don't have enough facts to formulate an opinion, but my first impression is this: Whatever happened to good old telethons where the victims of a disease were introduced to the public and money was given by calling in pledges? Why do we have to make the donors the centre of attention, instead of the people suffering from the disease? The fact that it works is great for research, and I'm not against it, but to me, it's an odd representation of what our society has become.

Phil, you seem interested in hearing more about the subject. Did you know that there is a 12 page thread about it in L&O? Lots of opinions there for you to read. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

Wow, that is so very interesting.  Please tell us more about your opinion on the matter.

You are not required to read my posts.  The fact that you did tells me that you are interested in my opinion.  I'll take it as a compliment.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

I briefly read about it and maybe I don't have enough facts to formulate an opinion, but my first impression is this: Whatever happened to good old telethons where the victims of a disease were introduced to the public and money was given by calling in pledges? Why do we have to make the donors the centre of attention, instead of the people suffering from the disease? The fact that it works is great for research, and I'm not against it, but to me, it's an odd representation of what our society has become.

Phil, you seem interested in hearing more about the subject. Did you know that there is a 12 page thread about it in L&O? Lots of opinions there for you to read. 

Excellent point.  Bravo.  I owe you a beer for that.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Excellent point.  Bravo.  I owe you a beer for that.

My husband said something similar when I told him Mary challenged me to the ice bucket challenge and I owe her that.  I agree with his opinion that we would prefer the money be used for the care and well being of those suffering from ALS rather than for the cure that will probably never be found.  Or at least part of the $ be used for the care of those in need.

In any event, I will do the ice bucket challenge sometime this week but I will not be posting a video in FB nor will I announce it anywhere else.  Well, I guess I just did, oops, but you know what I mean.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Anybody hear about the 4 poor idiot firefighters in Kentucky (I think KY)? Apparently while using the trucks ladder to get above a high school marching band to hose them, they got too close to a power line and were shocked - 1 critically. I really can't feel bad for them, I mean seriously.... they're firefighters - you'd think they would know to steer clear of power lines but were too busy trying to help the school one up others in this stupid game.

And then there are reports of people dunking their animals' heads into ice cold water, or dumping the water on their animal. And if Pamela Anderson is right that they test on animals for no reason, and no benefit to those affected by the disease, then I really don't care about donating to that. Just my opinion.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

And if Pamela is right that they test on animals for no reason, and no benefit to those affected by the disease, then I really don't care about donating to that. Just my opinion.

I don't know who Pamela is, but are you suggesting they test on animals for what, fun? That seems unlikely.

MTA: Ah, Pamela Anderson. Or should I say Dr. Anderson.

Dave

Village people

Think whatever you want about the challenge. It has people talking about an awful disease and some people are even donating money.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't know who Pamela is, but are you suggesting they test on animals for what, fun? That seems unlikely.

Actually being humans, who are on average the cruelest species on the planet, yes it is done mainly for fun. There is no point to test on monkeys, mice, dogs, cats ,etc - cutting them open, dissecting them alive, poisoning them to see what happens, sticking things in their heads and what not..... for medication or cures for people - there are plenty of killers, rapists and child abusers out there who can be tested on.

Then again I am an avid animal lover so I don't agree with animal testing, no matter the "reason".

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The testing of animals for stupid things like makeup, hair products and other silly things anger me.  Especially when they test on dogs and cats (which they do).  Testing for cures and medical research is a bit more complicated, IMO, so I do not take as strong a position as testing the stupid shit.

Damaris

Baboon

delicate flower

You are not required to read my posts.  The fact that you did tells me that you are interested in my opinion.  I'll take it as a compliment.

I skimmed.  Something about a car and a dead guy.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Think whatever you want about the challenge. It has people talking about an awful disease and some people are even donating money.

+1.

Everyone has their own opinions about charities and donation and I really don't have any heartburn wit that.  How you choose to donate, whether publicly, or privately, is your personal right and privilege.

As for the 'ice bucket challenge"...let's face it, this was mainly a 'marketing ploy" to get people talking about a very serious issue - and to hopefully persuade more people to donate - and it sure has worked brilliantly from that standpoint.   Donations went from a relatively few million from a few years ago to recently topping over around $65M already this year.   My personal view about people doing the ice bucket thing - which you can agree with or not, which is also your privilege, and I may not agree with your view either, but I respect your right to have it  -  the majority of people doing the 'ice bucket" thing  don't have the "it's all about me attitude";  they are simply doing a pretty silly thing in public that is, as said, "great marketing" that brings awareness to a cause.    If doing something silly in public - like this ice bucket thing, or sitting on a dunking booth board, or getting pies thrown in the face, or whatever - helps a cause that I really care about and maybe even persuades a few more people to donate to it, then hell, yes, I'd do it - and have done it in the past.  I really don't think there is any "right way" or 'wrong way" to donate..it's a matter of individual conscience and personal choice and the bottom line is what matters is that people are getting their needed support.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

Hells yeah Scotty!

~~~~~~~

Traci

RSX

I skimmed.  Something about a car and a dead guy.

That's as far as I got also.