Beginners and Beyond

On your mark, get set, DAILIES! (Read 45 times)

LRB

'Sup crew!

It is currently 40 degrees with virtually no wind and a clear sky.  Imma 'bout to put on as little as possible, and enjoy the hell outta this run! 

delicate flower

Good morning and Happy Sixo of Mayo!  lmao

8 miles last night at an easy-to-medium effort.  Easy on the flats and downs, a little harder on the ups.  Another 8 miles on the schedule today, and I'll see what kind of paces I can hit on the flat rail trail.  Of course, it'll be windy again today.  Every.damn.day.

<3

Feliz Sixto Lezcano!

WTF is the deal with 37 degrees on May 6th?? Although I enjoyed the hell outta my run as well. Been feeling stiff & sore since my HM Sunday, but running loosens that stuff right up.

6 miles in what turned out to be an unintentional progression run.

Question for those of you who do track workouts: where do you find a track to use? I am within a mile of two different HS tracks, but I am pretty sure they keep both of them locked up.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Now Dave is the funny one, learning from Phil.

6 miles and weights tonight.  Not sure if outside or on the TM since it will be fucking hot.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I was going to run after work today, but Weather Man said the temp was shooting up to 93 degrees today - which is not so bad - but the flippin' heat index was going to be close to 100 degrees...that's bad.  So I was up at 4:30 a.m. this morning and went to one of my YMCAs and started and finished my run/walk there.  3.4 miles done, with 7 hills along the way, two of them GIANT hills.  Also, let me tell you, running in the early a.m. near the Zoo before sunrise can be kinda creepy, hearing all those animal sounds coming out of the dark  at you.  I got two good 'scares' also, lol, when I was running up the Zoo Giant Hill.  Heard something move in the brush to the right of me and then this darn coyote suddenly came whipping  out onto the road and then ran into the brushy area on the other side - talk about getting startled....dang!  Made me back-pedal a step or two!   Then as I neared the top of the hill, I saw what I thought was a plastic trash bag -  irresponsible people are always littering up on this road behind the zoo, it's pretty sad - and then the trash bag stood up! About scared the life outta me, lol.  It was one of our city's homeless folks, who had found a spot up here to sleep.  Sadly, I see quite a few of these folks on some of my running routes around the city. We said good morning to each other and then I gave him a $15 gift card I was carrying for the cafe next to the Y -  I was going to use it to after I got back to the Y to get a post-run drink and a quick breakfast munchie but what the heck, some folks need it more than me - and told him to use it to get some breakfast this morning.  And then I was on my way again and for the last half of my run I had no more scares, thank goodness!     Felt strong while I was out there and killed all 7 hills, getting up them all in good order.

40 degrees for LRB and 36 for DaveP?   I'd be wearing my long-sleeved running shirt and 2 layers underneath it, lol.   You guys enjoy that stuff, I'll take my 80s over that any time.  Guess it's all about what you get used to.

As for tracks, Dave, most of our school tracks are open in the morning.  This morning I ran through the campus of Trinity University - it is next door to the YMCA - and there were several runners on the track doing their workouts - and not just students  or university staff either, it was quite a mix of folks, from younger to older, and I recognized a couple of fellow Y members out there too.  All at 5:30 in the morning.  One thing about San Antonio, we do have a lot of running route options, which is nice.

Congrats on your miles, Baboon.  Eh, wind....what's that to you...you're kicking butt on your runs!

Good luck with your weights and miles, Damaris!  Hope your weather cooperates for you.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

WTF is the deal with 37 degrees on May 6th??

I don't know but I enjoyed the hell outta that sh*t!  Gonna get up up to the 60's today and I will honestly take those two temps for lows and highs for the rest of my wretched life!

Anyhoo, speed work day for me in the form of intervals at tempo pace.  I was once again able to integrate it into my public route and it worked out fabulously.

4 X 1200 @ tempo pace w/ 2 min recoveries; 4:46, 4:47, 4:46, 4:45.

That was 3 miles in 19:08 (6:28), 7.5 miles total and one happy boy!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't know but I enjoyed the hell outta that sh*t!  Gonna get up up to the 60's today and I will honestly take those two temps for lows and highs for the rest of my wretched life!

Anyhoo, speed work day for me in the form of intervals at tempo pace.  I was once again able to integrate it into my public route and it worked out fabulously.

I would as well.  We are heading into the 90s for heat index and when I say 90s is high 90s.

Damaris

LRB

Question for those of you who do track workouts: where do you find a track to use? I am within a mile of two different HS tracks, but I am pretty sure they keep both of them locked up.

All public high school tracks are open to the public, you just have to find the spot surrounding it that is unlocked.  Some have an open gate, others have a turnstile, but all that I have used have at least one entry-point that is always available.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Quote from Docket_Rocket on 5/5/2014 at 10:27 PM:

Pilates for an hour, followed by a 5 miler while the sun went down.  Still hot as balls.

You must mean young men balls cuz let me tell you from personal experience, as you get older...well....ummm...never mind....

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Feliz Sixto Lezcano!

WTF is the deal with 37 degrees on May 6th?? Although I enjoyed the hell outta my run as well. Been feeling stiff & sore since my HM Sunday, but running loosens that stuff right up.

6 miles in what turned out to be an unintentional progression run.

DaveP: There is a middle school less than half a mile from our house. I just used it last night to run some intervals. It's an old school track, the red dirt/cinder, so it is in pretty bad shape, especially after rains. Little rocks and debris get stuck in the treads of my shoes after using it. It's never locked so a lot of people use it.

Today I am not using the track but I am running 5 easy miles.

Have a good day.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I would as well.  We are heading into the 90s for heat index and when I say 90s is high 90s.

+1.   Our heat index for the next few days is going crazy!  Usually we have pretty low humidity and dewpoint here in our area when it gets really hot, but we have storms threatening for the next couple of days and that is making the air very thiiiick!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

There are no tracks in my city (suburb).  Apparently, no track teams here.

Damaris

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Ahhhhhhhh! We had the same workout today Rick. I also did 4 x 1200s with 2 min recoveries. Although my tempo speed is much slower than yours. I ended up with almost 8 miles.

Dave: There's a 200m track at an elementary school a couple of blocks from my house that's in fair condition. No fences or anything so I just jump right on it. I've also though of any locked tracks, and I think if I was to talk to the coach that he'd probably let me on it. Our local university also has a new indoor track that I should inquire about. Nothing like giving DI athletes a run for their money (yeah right).

The leaked news reports were right yesterday. My CEO got the axe, and my CIO resigned on Friday to take a job in Florida. So yeah, we're missing some leadership here at work. I bet the work still gets done though. Wink

- Andrew

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

All public high school tracks are open to the public, you just have to find the spot surrounding it that is unlocked.  Some have an open gate, others have a turnstile, but all that I have used have at least one entry-point that is always available.

Rick,

Do you know if that's Federal, or State or County?? (Or by city even??)

My daughter's HS is open religiously and seem to be very generous about this.

However, my old alma matter is locked up like ft knox.  Same school district.  About 5 miles apart, both rec'd the same treatment approx 6 or 7 years ago when all tracks & football fields in that district were given the synthetic treatment (so it all came from the same pool of money).  I just don't know why it's locked up all the time *IF* the notion that they're all supposed to be open to the public is true.

P.S.  There's another HS about 5 miles in the opposite direction that is also buttoned up tight.  Glad the closest one to me is open, but I just don't get the inconsistency.

Randy

delicate flower

Our local high school track has a fence but no gate.  I have not run on it but I went scouting.  There is actually a sign posted with rules for public use.  I'll hit it when the school year is over.  It's a very athletically active school and the track seems to always be in use during my run time.

<3