Beginners and Beyond

OK medical peeps (or anyone else), I have a question (Read 123 times)

Love the Half

I went for a long run today.  I have noticed that after a long run or after a hard workout, the pitch of my voice is significantly higher for 45 minutes to an hour after I finish.  When it comes to most things running, I have a good idea about what might be going on but I even googled this and came up blank.  It's not like it's a big deal or anything but I'm curious as to what might be happening.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Birdwell

one size larger shorts

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

redrobrun

wonder if its just breathing related? Something similar to when people get winded and they get raspy... Just a thought

Love the Half

one size larger shorts

Yeah, I sort of asked for that didn't I?  LOL  

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Little Blue

Hoarseness is a general term which describes abnormal voice changes. When hoarse, the voice may sound breathy, raspy, strained, or there may be changes in volume (loudness) or pitch (how high or low the voice is). The changes in sound are usually due to disorders related to the vocal folds which are the sound producing parts of the voice box (larynx) (see A). While breathing, the vocal folds remain apart (see B). When speaking or singing, they come together (see C), and as air leaves the lungs, they vibrate, producing sound. The more tightly the vocal folds are held and the smaller the vocal folds, the more rapidly they vibrate. More rapid vibration makes a higher voice pitch. Swelling or lumps on the vocal folds prevent them from coming together properly, which makes a change in the voice.

They talk about the hoarseness you get when screaming at a concert or ball game.  It seems that extended running and breathing hard through your mouth might be very similar, sans the actual noise.

http://www.entassociates.com/hoarseness.htm

onemile

Obviously you are using up all your testosterone running.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Obviously you are using up all your testosterone running.

LMFAO.

Damaris

workinprogress11

Do you have any other symptoms at all?  Something different that maybe you've chalked up to getting older?  Thyroid issues can sometimes cause voice problems but I would think there would other symptoms.

Or or it could be the shorts thing.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Do you sit down right after you run and rest for a bit?  Maybe when you sit down,  if you've had 'the cut' done, you're sliding back too fast on your vasectomy scars.....and your voice goes up an octave or two...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Not a clue...

Maybe higher blood pressure after a tough or extended run causes some swelling?     F if I know...

B-Plus

I thought this was a joke when I first saw it. I'm really sorry if it's not and I hope you get that sorted out.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Did you run near helium?

Damaris

Love the Half

It's real B-Plus but I admit it's kind of funny.  It doesn't bother me in the least other than it's kind of strange and I have no explanation for it.  I can't even begin to speculate on what causes it other than it obviously has to do with exertion level because I don't experience the phenomena after an easy run.

Love the Half

Did you run near helium?

Nah, it's just high pitched; not high pitched and nasally.