Beginners and Beyond

Strength Training Immediately After Run or Later? (Read 70 times)

DCDan78

The program I'm starting today (a Hal Higdon program for a 10-miler in April) suggests strength training twice a week, often times with a run as well, e.g., "3 mile run + strength."

So here's my question:  during the week I'm often running at lunch, so don't have much more than an hour to do the work out.  A 3-4 mile run, therefore, often takes up much of the time I'd have free when you factor in changing, showering, etc.  Is there some added value in strength training immediately after the run such that I should do it then even if it's only 10 minutes.  Or is it just as well to do the strength training that night?

Thanks!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I usually do it immediately afterwards with running being my warmup for the strength training, but if you only have time to do it afterwards (hours after), that's OK too.  The only added benefit I see for doing it afterwards is the after burn of the run (burning more calories) but that is just speculation on my part.

Damaris

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

You should get your heart rate up a bit and warm up your muscles before strength training, so after running is great because you will kill two birds with one stone. But if you don't have time, it's fine to do it later, just get warm again first (at least 5 min). Jump rope for a few minutes, put on your favorite dance song and dance around for a few minutes (my personal favorite!),or  do some jumping jacks, ect. Just get the blood flowing and heart pumping a bit.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

From the Internet.

I actually like to strength train first if I have to do both on the same day... I figure that running while fatigued is good practice for racing, but lifting while fatigued will cause me to drop heavy weights onto my body which is not good practice for anything. I suppose it depends on the kind of strength training you're planning to do, though - failing on a machine or with dumbbells is probably less terrifying than getting pinned beneath a barbell.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

The main reason I strength train (not very often) after a run is that then I only need to shower once. And I suppose coming into the gym already warmed up is good too.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My personal choice is after a run if I do my strength training on a run day.  Normally, however, I do my strength training on a non-run day and just warm up before my training with about 10 - 15 minutes on the stationary bike.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

DCDan78

Thanks for the advice everyone!  I think I now understand that I should either strength train after the run or later in the day.   Or before the run. Smile  Seriously, I do appreciate everyone's thoughts.  Though, Kristin, I think I'd probably hurt myself either jumping rope or dancing.

While we're on the subject, any thoughts on what to do for strength?  I was actually thinking about the P90X Yoga or something like that.  I don't have many weights at home, so mainly would only be able to do body movements.  And that looks like it's stretching + strength without going for bulk.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I have found out the hard way recently that many injuries come from weak hips. So be pre-emptive perhaps and try some of these: http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/

Also core exercises, squats, lunges, calf raises will help your running. And yoga is also a good choice!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Better I Leave

I'm late to this, but might I ask what your goal is? There are different approaches to strength training depending upon what one's goal(s) are. For example, I do a lot of strength training, but my goal is to get lean, bigger, and able to run...."a whole bunch"...**giggle**

Just curious, because I change up my strength/running routines at least twice every two weeks. The last time I did any running/strength training, I did the following...

1. Run 1 mile REALLY FAST

2. Jump off treadmill, do heavy squats

3. Run another mile, easy

4. Jump off treadmill, do lunges (I fucking hate lunges...LOL!)

5. Run another mile moderate

6. Jump off treadmill, deadlifts

7. Run another 2 miles, easy

8. "wobble" upstairs, shoot some protein and collapse.

Big grin

Coastal

You could try these exercises.  Portland Fit is a marathon training program based in Portland, Oregon and Vancouver, Washington (Vancouver Fit).  A friend gave me the tip to look for these, and I generally do most of them after a run, but they can be done any time.  There are six videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRGKJO4_w0&list=PL5E58BFBD5B72C381

DCDan78

Goals:  Nothing really, at least not related to strength training per se (which may be part of the problem).  When I start a program I tend to be pretty wedded to it.  I haven't had enough experience running to feel too comfortable coming up with my own training regimen yet.  So in this case, when Coach Hal said 3 miles + strength, my goal was to do what Coach Hal said.

Today I ended up just doing a couple sets of chest press, leg extensions, leg curls and lateral rows.  I figured it was a good 15 minutes at the end of a run and at least hit the four biggest muscle groups.