Beginners and Beyond

Tyromancy Tuesday Penguins (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning Scotty!

This is the last day with the family in town, but I may still sneak in a short run.  I'm all about sneaking in a run.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Tyromancy:  Divination, using cheeseA form of divination involving observation of cheese, especially as it coagulates. Derived from the Greek (turos) (cheese) and manteia (divination), it as the art and practice of divining the past, present and the future by interpreting omens found in cheese. In the middle ages, the shape,, number of holes, the pattern of the mold, and other characteristics were used to prognosticate love, money, or even death.Young maidens in countryside villages would divine the names of their future husbands by writing the names of all prospective suitors on separate pieces of cheese. The one whose name was on the pice of cheese that grew mold first was believed to be the ideal love mate. (information courtesy of "Wiccan Parents")

So get your cheese out and hover over it and see what is in store for you!  And please don't cut the cheese during your divinations.

AFM:  I will be leaving work early today as I have some electric work being done at the house.  After that I will head to a local park to get some miles in.  The rain has cleared out and the weather is going to be beautiful here in San Antonio.   And it is going to stay beautiful all week, nice.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 7 tonight and weights (if I have time).  The 7 will be on the TM because 92F and 90% humiditiy at 6pm is not very good for running.

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning.  Slow day planned.  Better take my new Runners World to work.

Ginny, I work at a small community bank that is not making very many  mortgages.

hog4life

Hi everyone, my RR is up for Oak Barrel, got some good pics of me and Awood. Yesterday, I did 5.15 miles alone, then 1.5 with the NOBO group. My pace was faster than I planned, but it felt good. Today is either rest or easy miles with Bella.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning!  I have 7 tonight and weights (if I have time).  The 7 will be on the TM because 92F and 90% humiditiy at 6pm is not very good for running.

Sure it is...builds character....and lots of sweat!

I guess we are very lucky here in San Antonio...we get the 90s like you do, but when it gets hot here our humidity is usually very low.  It's kind of a trade-off here in summer between a.m. and p.m. running.  Morning temps are lower - in the 70s and 80s, but the humidity and dewpoint is much higher.   After work humidity is way low...but the temps skyrocket into the upper 90s and sometimes the 100s.  SIGH.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sure it is...builds character....and lots of sweat!

I guess we are very lucky here in San Antonio...we get the 90s like you do, but when it gets hot here our humidity is usually very low.  It's kind of a trade-off here in summer between a.m. and p.m. running.  Morning temps are lower - in the 70s and 80s, but the humidity and dewpoint is much higher.   After work humidity is way low...but the temps skyrocket into the upper 90s and sometimes the 100s.  SIGH.

Our humidity is higher in the mornings too, which is primarily why I don't run in the mornings.  But we get very high humidity in the afternoon as well.  In the Summer I've run in 78 dewpoint at 5-6pm.  We can never win!

Damaris

Zelanie

Morning!  "Accidentally" ran 6 last night instead of 5 because it was so nice outside.  Today is 5 with strides.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ditto on the heat here.  In fact weatherbug is saying 95.   NINETY-FIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Randy

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I keep watching that video "It is 5am, I am a marathon runner, I must run" and it is helping. Today is a SRD and I am taking it. My niggling injuries won't get better if I keep running. Plus, like Redrum said, it will be damn near 95 today, stupid hot for this time of year, just stupid. Tomorrow is an easy 7.

Hog: If next year's Oak Barrel HM is on the first Saturday in April, it might just work. The one snag is that it is the day before Easter. We'll see...

Awood: Sneak it in. You could easily get out there and get four or five.

Scotty: I am jealous of those temps. Looks like a nice week for you.

D: 92% humidity. Dear, it's time to move.

Jerry: We thought of you at our last race in the post race beer garden. It was Michelob Ultra, but it was beer nonetheless.

Zel: "Accident..." yeah, right. Wink

From the Internet.

What is this "heat" you people speak of? We have humidity because it's raining but I still wore 3 layers today :c

3ish easy/recovery miles on the treadmill this morning. Legs are kinda tired but otherwise OK; I might actually break 25 miles this week!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!! Tonight is our last quartet rehearsal before contest!! Singing for the chorus went ok, but not great. My girls tend to get quite nervous singing in front of their home crowd, and it showed. But I thought overall that we did better than we did last year, so hopefully that's a good thing.

Awood -- sneak away!! BTW, in those FE pics with hog, either you look freakishly tall or he looks really short. Which is it?

Scotty -- divination with cheese? That's just weird. Your weather looks awesome!!

Docket -- well, that's why you bought a TM!!

Jerryb -- hope you don't get too bored at work!!

hog -- glad your race didn't slow you down!!

Zelanie -- laughing at your "accidental" mile!!

redrum -- no fun going straight from winter to summer, huh?

Jack -- I laughed at that video too!!

Lauren -- good luck with your 25 mile week!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning, Penguins!! Tonight is our last quartet rehearsal before contest!! Singing for the chorus went ok, but not great. My girls tend to get quite nervous singing in front of their home crowd, and it showed. But I thought overall that we did better than we did last year, so hopefully that's a good thing.

Awood -- sneak away!! BTW, in those FE pics with hog, either you look freakishly tall or he looks really short. Which is it?

Scotty -- divination with cheese? That's just weird. Your weather looks awesome!!

Docket -- well, that's why you bought a TM!!

Jerryb -- hope you don't get too bored at work!!

hog -- glad your race didn't slow you down!!

Zelanie -- laughing at your "accidental" mile!!

redrum -- no fun going straight from winter to summer, huh?

Jack -- I laughed at that video too!!

Lauren -- good luck with your 25 mile week!!

Yeap.  Not doing what I did last year for sure.  It's so humid outside I might need my rescue inhaler today.  Good thing I'll be air conditioned for the rest of the day.  Haha.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Awood - hope you manage to get a good run in between family visits.

Scotty - hope the electrician finishes early, so you can enjoy the afternoon.

Damaris - sounds like a good day for the TM

Mitch - sounds like you recovered well from the race.

Jerry - is the MRI tomorrow?

Z - hard to restrain yourself when the weather is good, the run is fun, and you're supposed to be tapering.

Redrum - it's too early to be that hot in S. Cal.

Jack - better to have the video remind you that it's good to take it easy sometimes, than for your body to tell you the same thing.

HopesMom - have fun with the competition.  A little nervousness will help you all to focus, right?

Lauren - good job on the miles and getting up to 25 without injury.

AFM:  Lots of black storm clouds this morning, so I may end up on the TM later.  Very unsettled day though the forecast was good.  Teach me to believe Accuweather.