Beginners and Beyond

Are you afraid to share your race goals? (Read 106 times)

LRB

I've never experienced bonk, so I wanna try at shorter distance first.

Go out at your current 10k pace and defy the odds, that ought to do it.

happylily

Put me down for sub 1:05 half on oct 26

See... LRB laughed at you. That's why it's not a good idea to share one's goals. I believe in you, big boy. Make that 1:05 dream come true!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

See... LRB laughed at you. That's why it's not a good idea to share one's goals. I believe in you, big boy. Make that 1:05 dream come true!

It's almost go time. Sub-65 or bust!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Go!

Damaris

happylily

Just make sure you pace evenly and the sub-1:05 is yours! 

LRB

BP has set a record bumping threads this week! Talk about taper madness how about taper insanity.  lol

GO!  GO!  GO!

B-Plus

BP has set a record bumping threads this week! Talk about taper madness how about taper insanity.  lol

GO!  GO!  GO!

And to think this is not even a goal race!

Baboon

delicate flower

Four weeks until my marathon.  I'm thinking 3:18 (7:35 pace).  BQ is 3:15 but I don't think I am there yet.  PR is 3:38 so as long I put a nice dent in that, I'll be happy.  Really though, I just don't to lay an egg like I did my last marathon.  I'll shoot for that BQ in my April.

<3

onemile

Four weeks until my marathon.  I'm thinking 3:18 (7:35 pace).  BQ is 3:15 but I don't think I am there yet.  PR is 3:38 so as long I put a nice dent in that, I'll be happy.  Really though, I just don't to lay an egg like I did my last marathon.  I'll shoot for that BQ in my April.

A 3:15 is what pace?  The same pace you ran for your 15 miler yesterday?  

Baboon

delicate flower

A 3:15 is what pace?  The same pace you ran for your 15 miler yesterday?  

Yep.

<3

happylily

There is an interesting thread in RWBF, where a guy who had never run a marathon was convinced he could run one in 3:00, based on his shorter race times. He was advised to aim for 3:10/3:15 instead, but refused to listen. He ran his marathon today, MCM, and he finished in 3:42. 42 minutes off his goal. He held his goal pace until the half point, then started falling apart big time. More than perfect pacing, knowing what you can do in a realistic manner is what really counts in the end.

Cyberic

There is an interesting thread in RWBF, where a guy who had never run a marathon was convinced he could run one in 3:00, based on his shorter race times. He was advised to aim for 3:10/3:15 instead, but refused to listen. He ran his marathon today, MCM, and he finished in 3:42. 42 minutes off his goal. He held his goal pace until the half point, then started falling apart big time. More than perfect pacing, knowing what you can do in a realistic manner is what really counts in the end.

Wise words. We're talking numbers here, right? Smile

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

True.

Oh, the good BF where the guy asked about a pace band and gets mocked for his unrealistic goal.  That was a weird thread (unless there is some history with the guy and the people that posted there, which is what I am assuming).

Damaris

happylily

Wise words. We're talking numbers here, right? Smile

Yes, we're talking numbers.   The final numbers are the numbers that really count. 

Cyberic

Yes, we're talking numbers.   The final numbers are the numbers that really count. 

Smile

Yep, all other numbers represent strategies and checkpoints for those final numbers. Strategies may differ as long as the final numbers are there.

Matt Fitzgerald opiniates that positive splits might be more effective for hobby marathon runners

http://running.competitor.com/2013/08/training/the-art-and-science-of-marathon-pacing_16984/3