Beginners and Beyond

Amateur marathon runners are slowing down.......(Wall Street Journal).... (Read 197 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Gosh, I should thank Fsocks for making my point that not all BMIs of 24 are the same, eh?

Everyone is a special snowflake which means no one is a special snowflake.

You people have issues 

Hip Redux

LRB and I were just discussing a mutual acquaintance the other day.  He's one giant muscle with almost no bodyfat.  He's losing weight right now in the form of sacrificing muscle mass for the sake of a faster marathon.  He's performance driven.  Most would say he has no weight to lose, and they'd be wrong.

Right.  My point above was that everyone has weight to lose.  Until you are skin and bones, you can lose weight.  The question is should you and is that healthy for you the individual.

It's a matter of taking a calculated number - BMI - and trying to assign a qualitative characteristic to it - health/fitness.    The qualitative aspect depends on a lot of things - goals, health history, athletic build etc - that the assignment will never be fully accurate.   And why we'll probably continue debating this for another 10 pages. lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Everyone is a special snowflake which means no one is a special snowflake.

Thanks for reminding us of the Special Snowflake.  Classic.

Damaris

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thats why I think it is important to differentiate between health, performance and appearance.  If you don't, the debate is pointless.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hip Redux

Thats why I think it is important to differentiate between health, performance and appearance.  If you don't, the debate is pointless.

That has never stopped us before. lol

You know, if we're looking at a "number" to determine fitness, I think we'd be more accurate with waist circumference.   I would think it would be hard to be truly fit and carry much weight around your middle.... even weight lifters tend to have pretty trim waistlines, no?

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Thanks for reminding us of the Special Snowflake.  Classic.

Everyone in life has their calling.

You people have issues 

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

A 280 pound bodybuilder can have a tiny waist, sleep apnea and heart problems from the excess mass.  So, not a clear indicator of health or performance in running.  I think it has to be based on the individual and their goal.

You know, if we're looking at a "number" to determine fitness, I think we'd be more accurate with waist circumference.   I would think it would be hard to be truly fit and carry much weight around your middle.... even weight lifters tend to have pretty trim waistlines, no?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

happylily

I agree with the waist thing. Look at the picture you posted... She's thick waisted. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Yes. I was using it in the context of just because this person has a BMI of 24 doesn't mean that every person that has a BMI of 24 is as fit or healthy.

Exactly.

Awood, good call.  Dude wants to take his running to the next level, and his mass at its current level is a hindrance to that end.  I totally get it.

Hip Redux

A 280 pound bodybuilder can have a tiny waist, sleep apnea and heart problems from the excess mass.  So, not a clear indicator of health or performance in running.  I think it has to be based on the individual and their goal.

I definitely am not talking about running performance, just health.   I guess I don't know many 280lb bodybuilders to know what sort of health issues they have.

In running, thin is better.  There's no way around that.

Hip Redux

I agree with the waist thing. Look at the picture you posted... She's thick waisted. Big grin

You clearly need to hang out with more fat people. lol

happylily

Nah... I'm PMS, which means I just want to argue endlessly. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Birdwell

Did someone call for more fat people?

Present!

catwhoorg

Labrat

Waist to height (better than raw waist) is better than BMI

or waist to hip is even better.

Of course I am so short and broad I classify as obese in waist to height well

Waist to hip I do well in

Smile

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

RSX

Nah... I'm PMS, which means I just want to argue endlessly. Big grin

Note to self no endless debates with Lily today.