Beginners and Beyond

Amateur marathon runners are slowing down.......(Wall Street Journal).... (Read 197 times)

happylily

Anyway, we're more stylish now than they were 40 years ago... so nah, nah... who wins, eh? We do! Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Anyway, we're more stylish now than they were 40 years ago... so nah, nah... who wins, eh? We do! Big grin

Definitely! Take a look at this video from the 1971 Boston Marathon. BTW the woman interviewed at the beginning is Nina Kusick who won Boston in 1972, the first year women were allowed to run officially. That link to her is her entry in the Distance Running Hall of Fame. I like her comment about allowing women officials. If you watch closely you can see me with full beard about 2:15-2:17 into the video.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hip Redux

Definitely! Take a look at this video from the 1971 Boston Marathon. BTW the woman interviewed at the beginning is Nina Kusick who won Boston in 1972, the first year women were allowed to run officially. That link to her is her entry in the Distance Running Hall of Fame. I like her comment about allowing women officials. If you watch closely you can see me with full beard about 2:15-2:17 into the video.

Love it!

happylily

Yes, I saw you! Smile You look just the same, but your hair color has changed a bit. :-) What a wonderful video. With the classical music in the background, it gave me shivers... Just amazing about Nina Kusick and so sad that she was treated this way... She, and others like her, did a lot for me. I'm grateful.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice, George!

Damaris

Cool video, George.

MothAudio

The differences seem more related to the level of training runners today are willing to do and the different reasons that draw people to running and the correspondingly different goals.

Bingo. Work hard / train smart / results will follow. Approaching your potential doesn't just happen. 1st you must want it and then be able / willing to put in the work.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

onemile

Bingo. Work hard / train smart / results will follow. Approaching your potential doesn't just happen. 1st you must want it and then be able / willing to put in the work.

The problem is that hard training isn't very fun.

LRB

Definitely! Take a look at this video from the 1971 Boston Marathon

I was three flippin' years old.  You have been running as long as I have been alive!

LRB

For posterity; wcrunner at the 1971 Boston Marathon.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I see it that not everyone wants to race for the same reasons as others, so some don't want or need to train hard and just want to finish and run the event rather than BQ.

Damaris

MothAudio

Running and training to approach your potential is not easy. But when you follow your heart what some might consider hard is more like the joy of movement.

Yes, it is hard... but I like it :>

The joy, a good portion of it, for me is not just in moving my body at my age but in the struggle to set challenging goals and to be the best *I* can be to achieve those goals. That really hasn't changed over the years, that's just how I'm built. I understand this isn't what motivates everyone, I can only account for myself.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

LRB

Yes, it is hard... but I like it :>

There is a ton of truth to that.  A full metric ton.

No more marathons

And to add a non-scientific study of one to the mix:

In 1981 at the age of 30 I weighed 155 pounds and ran a 3:01:31 marathon - not nearly good enough to BQ

32 years later (older) and weighing 175 pounds (fatter) I ran a 3:47:30 marathon.

So, older and fatter = slower.  Yep - some real rocket science there.

Oh, BTW - that 3:47:30 is a BQ -7:30  Big grin

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Goorun

That is just too awesome.

For posterity; wcrunner at the 1971 Boston Marathon.

Slow and steady never wins anything.