Beginners and Beyond

Who You Rooting for in College Football this Season? (Read 66 times)

StepbyStep-SH

I guess I also like to see other teams from the former Big 8 win - as long as they aren't playing against Nebraska at the time.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

You Rang?

My team?  My wife's alma mater, the University of San Francisco Dons.  Undefeated since 1951!

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Birdwell

I have never heard anyone say that before.

My nephew plays for the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology.  So, go Hardrockers!

We drove past that school a month or so ago. I thought it was a high school at first

the campus was nice.

Dad on the run.

Roll Tide!!!

With that being said I really don't care who wins what games with the exception of Tenn., LSU, and the Gators.

I have to agree with Traci though. Alabama didn't look so hot Saturday. Hopefully it was just a fluke game and we will look a lot better when we play Texas A&M. Otherwise I don't see any championships this year.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I guess I also like to see other teams from the former Big 8 win - as long as they aren't playing against Nebraska at the time.

Yay Big 8. Go Cyclones !!!

Love the Half

Marshall is now 2-0 with both being blowout wins.  We play Ohio University away next and they're actually decent so we shall see.  GOOO HERD!!!

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

DavePNW

I love college football and find the NFL to be a snorefest.

For me, these are reversed.

I think a lot of it has to do with where you grew up and/or live. For cities with a franchise, NFL usually reigns supreme. I grew up in Chicago where it was all Da Bears, all da time. College was always secondary. Areas not close to an NFL city and near a major college program are the opposite. When I lived in WV, it was all about college ball, with a handful of Steeler fans. (Never met a Browns fan, even though Cleveland was just as close as Pittsburgh...go figure.)

Detroit area is interesting -- with the Lions (even when they have been awful, which has been most of the time), and Michigan (& Mich St) so close, both are equally huge.

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Almost forgot.  I do root for anyone playing the Mountaineers.

Yeah, I get that, cuz I root for any team playing against Alabama, U. of South Carolina, the Oklahoma teams, the Michigan teams, or the Texas Aggies.   Joking

OSU whupped up on my UT-San Antonio Roadrunners on Saturday...56 - 35.   Overall, I think we did pretty good though, for only our 3rd year of having a football team, putting up 35 points against a Top 25 team.  Or the OSU defense did really bad the 2nd half.  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

Here, the NFL is king, but college football is certainly no schmuck.  We pack upwards of 190,000 into two stadiums that are less than 100 miles apart on Saturdays, and sellout our pro stadium the next day.

I love them both, and will watch teams of either of them other than those that I root for.

Here, the NFL is king, but college football is certainly no schmuck.  We pack upwards of 190,000 into two stadiums that are less than 100 miles apart on Saturdays, and sellout our pro stadium the next day.

I love them both, and will watch teams of either of them other than those that I root for.

Truth.  But I basically only root for Michigan State where both my wife and I graduated (we also met there). Too bad their offense is so offensive if you know what I mean.

LRB

Too bad their offense is so offensive if you know what I mean.

Yeah that seems to be the talk of the town right now.  I believe upwards of five players have taken at least one snap at quarterback through two games.

You Rang?

I think a lot of it has to do with where you grew up and/or live. For cities with a franchise, NFL usually reigns supreme.

I live in the football vacuume known as Southern California.  Since I don't have a local team, I follow the Green Bay Packers.  I'm a Packer fan because I've got a family member on the 53 man roster:  Lane Taylor #65.  Go Pack!

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Hip Redux

I think a lot of it has to do with where you grew up and/or live. For cities with a franchise, NFL usually reigns supreme. I grew up in Chicago where it was all Da Bears, all da time. College was always secondary. Areas not close to an NFL city and near a major college program are the opposite. When I lived in WV, it was all about college ball, with a handful of Steeler fans. (Never met a Browns fan, even though Cleveland was just as close as Pittsburgh...go figure.)

Detroit area is interesting -- with the Lions (even when they have been awful, which has been most of the time), and Michigan (& Mich St) so close, both are equally huge.

Mr O. is from WV and is NOT a Steelers fan!  Definitely Cleveland growing up, now has adopted the Pats as the home team.   In New England, college ball is secondary, I'd say.   At least growing up it was.... doesn't seem to have changed much.

hvmorfun

mad cow

I'm a die-hard WVU Mountaineer.  It's already a crappy year, but after losing Smith, Austin and Bailey that was to be expected.  The fact that I can't stand our coach only makes matters worse.

As for the other university in West Virginia, I like their coach. Had Holliday been named our coach instead of Holgorson, things might be different.  Granted, even a Holliday-coached Herd team can't beat the 'Eers.

You know, evil comes in many forms, be it a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin. But you can't let the package hide the pudding. Evil is just plain bad. You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it on the nose with the rolled up newspaper of goodness. Bad dog! Bad dog!

Hip Redux

Cal is getting their butt kicked by OSU.  Oy.