Beginners and Beyond

RR - Novi Half Marathon, 5/4 (Updated with pics & a question) (Read 70 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Maybe the lack of sleep is your trick in getting  a new PR!   Congrats on your race!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Awesome job, Dave!  When it's only 4 miles from your house, you have to do it!  You really did pick it up those last 4 miles.  Congratulations on such a high placement.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Nice job on the PR and nice finish!

Little Blue

Way to tear it up!  Good luck on the 10K.

Wow! Great job! Based on these results, I think you have a much faster HM in you. Smile

Good luck with your upcoming 10k!

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Don't call me Buttercup!

Holy crap, nicely done!

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

DavePNW

Actually got a couple of decent pics...would be tempted to buy one if the prices weren't criminal.

At some unknown point during the race:

Approaching the finish line:

Dave

DavePNW

I HEREBY PROCLAIM DAVE'S HM PR IS "SOFT."

Duly noted. So anyone still reading have a suggested 10k goal time? This race was pretty dumb in terms of providing useful information.

Using McMillan predicting downward, it gives 47:15 (7:36), but that's not much faster than the final 6.2 of this HM.

If I think I could've run this HM at 1:40, that suggests closer to 45:00 (7:15), but that sounds too fast.

Also any training suggestions are more than welcome.

Dave

Beast.

Those late-race splits are incredible, you've got more speed where that came from.

outoftheblue

Feeling good?  I'd say you were feeling GREAT!  Congrats on a fantastic race.  And well done to beat the boss.   I really like this bit, "I figured once you start slow, you can never make up the time if you realize you are feeling good. "  I need to pin that to the inside of my brain.

Life is good.

Zelanie

Good thing you decided to go ahead and run this one even though you're only a few weeks out from the marathon!  Congrats!

I have no idea how to pace anything, other than "it's only a 10K, what's the worst that can happen?"

LRB

So anyone still reading have a suggested 10k goal time? This race was pretty dumb in terms of providing useful information.

Yes we usually use a 5k or 10k time to predict a half marathon or marathon time, in your case it is the reverse which presents a unique dynamic.

I would say to just race it to your fullest ability as hard as you can and use the results as your training template moving forward, and if you blow up in the process trying to run 7:05's so be it, it's only 6.2 miles.   But you won't know until you try.

delicate flower

I would say to just race it to your fullest ability as hard as you can and use the results as your training template moving forward, and if you blow up in the process trying to run 7:05's so be it, it's only 6.2 miles.   But you won't know until you try.

Agreed...use this to set a base going forward.  That said, you have not done any speedwork, so your true 10K pace right now is probably going to be a bit slower than what McMillan predicts.  10K at a real 10K effort is a long way to race if you have not trained for it.  If you have not done any interval or tempo work at 7:15 pace, you are not going to be able to hold that for 6.2 miles.

<3

As someone (me) who has never trained for or raced a 10k, I would try incorporating some interval/tempo runs at the 7:15 (7:36) pace and see how it feels. There's probably not enough time to benefit much physically, but you might get a better idea of what you are capable of. Either way, your upcoming 10k should give you a good idea for how to move forward in your training. I would also be sure to get in a good warm up on race day. I don't know if you were holding back or still loosening up at the start of your half, but you just got faster and faster as the miles went on. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

DavePNW

That said, you have not done any speedwork, so your true 10K pace right now is probably going to be a bit slower than what McMillan predicts.  10K at a real 10K effort is a long way to race if you have not trained for it.  If you have not done any interval or tempo work at 7:15 pace, you are not going to be able to hold that for 6.2 miles.

I am sure this is true. Tempos during my marathon training were at 7:48, so this will be completely uncharted territory. That mile 13 was probably one of the fastest miles I've ever run. Now if only I had time to train properly for this thing.

So the strategy I guess will be to just run my ass off & see what happens. It may be tough for me because my head is so wrapped around longer distances, focusing on not going out too fast & being comfortable for the initial portion of the race. I guess I should plan to be somewhat uncomfortable from the get-go. In any case, if I'm not happy with how it worked out, I get a do-over 2 weeks later. Hard to do that with marathons.

Dave