Beginners and Beyond

SUNDAILIES Are Bringing the Noise (Read 51 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

9.2 miles done this late morning, fresh inch of snow but about 30 degrees and wind speed of 9 mph so not bad. Calves were a bit tight but loosened up around mile 5.

Sorry to hear you have to run on the tread mill Basya. Looks to me like a lot of people got snow over night, luckily  the streets out here were clear. I am going to take the rest of the day easy, try not to eat too much and drink a lot of hot coffee, play with my son.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

YAYpril - B-Plus

Hi! I had a 10k race this morning. It snowed overnight (only about an inch) and the roads were a mess, plus it's a very hilly course so it sucks even in good conditions. RD said it wasn't a day to PR. Big grin

A goal: 58:00 (my PR is 1:00:11 from a very humid 10k on Labor Day)

B goal: Under an hour

C goal: Run as fast as I can without falling

Garmin time was 57:32. I am over the MOON.

happylily

Basya, South Africa does not appeal to me particularly. I've heard from colleagues of Scott that it's actually quite violent there. What appeals to me is the opportunity for us to see a different part of the world. Sometimes, it takes seeing life outside of your own world to really appreciate what you have at home. And sometimes, you can see better elsewhere and come home and try to implement what you've seen. I lived in France for a year and I came home a different child. I want my son to have the same opportunity.

Beth, you are welcome in my home wherever that is. :-) We'll see what happens. We have to think of our house here and a school for our son.

Paula,  mileage during training should be somewhere between 60-70 miles until race day. I just did a few more miles this week to get back into the swing of things.

20 miles done, 7:56 pace. No water, no fueling, no pee break. Now, if only Boston could be a flat course... This week, 46 of my miles were under 7:56 pace, I'm very excited about that. I think it's a first for me.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Well that just stunk.  It was cold as crap, windy, my left hand was frozen, my feet felt like bricks, and I never did dial in on the 8:45-9:00 I was shooting for.  After about the five mile mark, I just said screw it and held the pace I was running at.

There is a stiff ass wind coming off the lake for the first two miles when you run clockwise, so I went counter-clockwise which is mostly uphill, and still went a little faster than I wanted.

The whole stupid thing was just a mental drag, and I kept having to talk myself out of cutting it short.  Anyway, 10 miles done in 1:25:40 for an overall pace of 8:34.

The boys from Hansons were there and put on a small 4 mile race which was starting as I was wrapping up.  There was a decent sized crowd there considering the conditions of about 100 people.

While my run sucked, I am very happy that I was able to hang in there and get it done.  That treadmill won't look so bad now come Tuesday morning lol!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hi! I had a 10k race this morning. It snowed overnight (only about an inch) and the roads were a mess, plus it's a very hilly course so it sucks even in good conditions. RD said it wasn't a day to PR. Big grin

Super job! How exciting to exceed your goal in tough conditions.

Lily...Awesome job eith your miles and paces. A couple little hills won't slow you down Smile

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Luke79

@ April - that's outstanding.  Grats!

@ Lily - 20 miles with no water?  That would be like torture for me lol.

LRB

Hi Paula, fancy to see you here!  Welcome to the dailies!

April, congrats!  Say hi to the man.

I see you lily!  Nice run.

Wassup to everyone else!

runmomto3boys

20 miles done, 7:56 pace. No water, no fueling, no pee break. Now, if only Boston could be a flat course... This week, 46 of my miles were under 7:56 pace, I'm very excited about that. I think it's a first for me.

That's awesome, Julie!  You should be able to set a sizable PR at Boston if you've gotten that much faster. Sub-3:25, for sure, with a taper.

Free Soul: Congratulations on the 9.2!!!  What a great run!

April: That is a tremendous PR!!!  Congratulations!!!!!!

LRB: Ohhhh, man....that sounds like a tough one, but you got the miles in and that is what matters.  Well done!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Thanks, guys! I'm a glutton for punishment. Here's the elevation chart from my watch. I seem to perform better on hilly courses than flat ones.

DavePNW

Guten Tag, everyone! I am on a business trip in Europe this week. Left 6PM ET Saturday, arrived Paris Sun AM, changed planes to Munich, drove 2 hr to the destination, a remote village in Germany near the Czech border, arriving at about 3PM EU tIme. After this whole trip, with zero sleep & no lunch, what was the first thing I did after arriving at the hotel? Of course go for a little 5 mile run on some unknown country roads! It was cold but not as bad as back home, and great scenery. Made a point to bring my gear with me & make an effort to find opportunities to run, I was afraid of a lost week. Crazy schedule, and hotels here have not really jumped on the treadmill bandwagon. Tomorrow will be an off day as there is going to be no way to fit it in, but I am probably due anyway.

It is about 8:00 here & I am going to bed now.

Dave

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

congrats April!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Just B.S.

Congrats! Its awesome to meet your goals and even better in tough conditions!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

random question....how long have all of you been running before you ran your first half?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

YAYpril - B-Plus

A little under a year. I averaged low mileage (high teens... ha) and it was a miserable experience, but it hasn't stopped me from doing 3 more since then.

Just B.S.

I had one of those runs today where you go through an entire spectrum of thoughts and emotions.  After looking

out the window for an hour and realizing the weather isn't going to get any better  Hubby and I start  together as

usual plan to meet up at our finish point.

It was snowing, with about 2 inches down, no bare pavement, very slippery, terrible traction,  blowing snow and

windy, 10F and of  course the usual hills and no water.

The first 5 miles of the run I'm thinking "man I'm so slow, this weather sucks, I'm cold, I can't see where I'm going,

that asshole almost hit me, why are there so many goddam hills where I live,  is it really worth  running outside,

how much do I really hate the treadmill?" and so on and so forth.

By mile 8 I'm thinking "hmmm, only 3 other runners in 8 miles, we must be pretty badass".

By mile 9 I'm thinking "yes, I love running in the winter, this is why I do this"

At the end after 11.10 miles with 850 feet of elevation gain and not stopping for a single step, nor walking

a single step, while fully realizing that my pace was from necessity very slow.......... I'm thinking "I'm one MOFO

badass 51 yr old gal  if I can run this route in these conditions without walking and do it in 1:57 I guess I'm

doing OK, I wonder what all the other 51 yr old women are doing today, I"m so glad I sucked it up and went

out ".

And no I don't have multiple personalities.Big grin