Beginners and Beyond

What do you eat? (Read 151 times)

Walk-Jogger

"Skinny-fat" seems to be someone who has a normal BMI, but a high body fat percentage.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's an MRI cross-sectional image of the quadriceps of two people who are fit and low body fat, plus someone who is "skinny-fat" :

Retired &  Loving It

Will run for scenery.

A thousand words indeed!  That's at least as shocking as the smokers' lung pictures we grew up seeing.

So glad you said MRI cross section, and not just cross section !

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Jess runs for bacon

Cecil, that's incredible

B-Plus

Slender but flabby.  I've met people who attempt a marathon on no training, because since they are thin, they think they are automatically more fit than the chubbies they see running.

Crash and burn time shows them otherwise.  Cool

What do we call fat chicks with small tits? I guess they're not skinny-fat, but when I see them I always think that someone that flat has no reason to be that fat.

LRB

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's an MRI cross-sectional image of the quadriceps of two people who are fit and low body fat, plus someone who is "skinny-fat" :

I didn't want that, which is why I started working out 14 years ago.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

And Greg, I imagine you meant "over-race weight" and not "overweight".  Though you don't appear to be over race weight either....

That would be correct, yes, I might be around a BMI of 22 which is normal but I could definitely stand to be lighter for racing. However, I do still eat like a bird most of the time. When I go get a larger meal, it usually can keep me fairly full for the next day and I'll survive off fruit and vegetables for the next day. The strange thing is that it hasn't affected my energy level either!

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Greg, have you read "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald?  I think it's very informative and useful, particularly for someone like you, at your level of fitness.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Will run for scenery.

Semi-off topic, I guess, but I just went through a race cycle (train, taper, carbo-load, fuel, recover) and from an "aereal perspective" I really had to laugh at my newbish, panicky self.  I loaded so much that by race morning, I was so big I didn't even want breakfast.  During the race, I hit all 7 aid stations like "free" all-U-can eat snack bars.  And between those I kept my tank topped off w/ gels.  Even post-race my weight was still up a few pounds.  Once that was all over and I returned to my old low-carb ways (with a tad more discipline) I dropped nearly 5 pounds in under a week.  A bunch of that had to be water weight.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Cecil...That's a great image to sum up that point!  It also explains perfectly why I feel what I do when I try to pinch on my thighs.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

It also explains perfectly why I feel what I do when I try to pinch on my thighs.

A coworker pinched my ass once, and broke a nail.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Greg, have you read "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald?  I think it's very informative and useful, particularly for someone like you, at your level of fitness.

Looking at a quick synopsis, it might not be a bad book to read, I'll probably check it out after my volunteer work is done tomorrow (I'm working package pickup for the Stampede Road Race). I do think it's funny that after seeing Katrina this past weekend in Vegas, she was surprised to hear how much I weighed and thought I was much less. I'd like to think I could get leaner and lose about 8-10 more pounds if I have the ability, and while I already eat 5-6 times a day (small snacks), small amounts of calories, as little processed foods as possible and NO fast food, I figure I'll have to be extremely vigilant to lose those pounds.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

A coworker pinched my ass once, and broke a nail.

Yesss....and how does the rest of that story go? ha

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Hip Redux

Looking at a quick synopsis, it might not be a bad book to read, I'll probably check it out after my volunteer work is done tomorrow (I'm working package pickup for the Stampede Road Race). I do think it's funny that after seeing Katrina this past weekend in Vegas, she was surprised to hear how much I weighed and thought I was much less. I'd like to think I could get leaner and lose about 8-10 more pounds if I have the ability, and while I already eat 5-6 times a day (small snacks), small amounts of calories, as little processed foods as possible and NO fast food, I figure I'll have to be extremely vigilant to lose those pounds.

Have you considered that you may not be eating enough?   Strict calorie restriction can work against you sometimes.

I would suggest seeing a dietitian, too, that specializes in sports nutrition.  Could help you figure out the right balance of calories for weight loss and also maintaining your exercise routine (which is really a difficult balance to find).

happylily

Hipfan, give me a break... I'm sure you're as lean as can be. You're probably very muscular. You do more than just running, right? You do strength work as well, don't you? I think that if you want to be a bit lighter, you'll have to cut down somewhat on the upper body work. Maybe replace with more running? How many hours per week do you run/workout now? Still on the crazy schedule?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Yesss....and how does the rest of that story go? ha

Uhh.... Rick told him to never do that again? Wink