Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Slide MonDAILY - Slopestyle (Read 23 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Monday !!!   Hope everyone had a great Valentines weekend.

Short run for us this afternoon after work.  Anyone else have the day off?

Congrats on the triple Scotty.

tracilynn

GM jerry, no days off for moms.  Up past 3am with a puking kid and then my other woke at 6:30.  Going to a cheer banquet for the oldest tonIght so it's a rest day for me. Ha.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

We would have had the day off, but it's a make up day for one of our snow days.  So I will be headed to work in a bit.  MLR of 10 for me after work today.  Hopefully the wind has died down by then.

Jerry- Enjoy the short run!

Traci- Hope the sick kiddo feels better soon!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  SRD # 4.  Some pain but not bad.

Damaris

hog4life

I'll be working later too. About to head out for a progression run, maybe 7 miles or so.

Traci, sorry for the sick kiddos. Are you going to do Cotton Row?

Jerry, enjoy the run later.

Zel, hope the wind dies down for your run.

Scotty, you are a running machine, congrats!

tracilynn

Mitch, cotton row is on my twins bday but I prob will do it anyway. But I won't register until closer to race day since I'm always injured.   They have the best tshirts!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

D- Hope you're feeling better!

Mitch- Hope the run goes well!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, we ended up getting about 8-10 inches of the white, which was enough to keep me home Thursday and Friday.  I had chorus coaching on Saturday, which was quite a workout!!  Lots of learning, plus exercises for the intercostals (pause here, because I haven't done this morning's set yet ...) ok, now that's one.  I'm supposed to do a set of 20 rib expansions 3x per day, 4x per week, for 4 weeks.  I'll be interested to see how it affects my breathing for singing!  Hopefully yoga tonight, and luckily it's supposed to be a little warmer this week (though not today).

Jerryb -- no day off for us, but have a good time!!

traci -- wow, sounds like a rough night!!

Zelanie -- good luck with your MLR!!

Docket -- glad the pain isn't too bad!!

Hog -- have a good progression run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Good morning!

Jerry-- Hi ya!  Yes, my DH is home with me today.  We had a good, but busy weekend.

tracilynn--ahhhh, sorry your sweeties are feeling ill.  Hope they're feeling well and are quiet today, and let you rest up before the cheer banquet tonight.

Zel-- yuck @ make up day for snow day!  Good luck with your 10 tonight.

DR -- Hopefully this is the last of the pain.  How long will you be on sick leave?  Are you able to walk around much yet?

Mitch-- good luck with your progression run!

HsM-- how do you do those rib expansion exercises?  That sounds like something that would help in running.

Yesterday I did my marathon.  It felt so good, but i was really glad I didn't try to race it, because that last hour was soooo warm.  Thank goodness they were handing out wet towels that your could keep pouring a glass of water on, otherwise those last four miles would have been a lot rougher.  I ended up finishing 4:36:?  and wasn't limping (yay!)  though today I am feeling sore, but of course it's a day off!  We immediately made the 4 hour drive home from the race, and then went to a remembrance for my friend.  So it ended up being a long, tiring, but good day.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

tracilynn

Congrats Cherie! Nice time for just taking it easy!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Dad on the run.

Hey all, had a lot of fun at the Mercedes Marathon yesterday. I didn't run, but I did get a ton of pics! and there was several people there I knew that I got to cheer on!

Plan on 4 tonight probably will be pretty easy miles since I have 6 miles of rolling hills tomorrow.

Mitch - I am doing the Cotton Row 10k and we will have a new member of the Black family there as well!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Singer who runs a smidge

Good morning!

HsM-- how do you do those rib expansion exercises?  That sounds like something that would help in running.

The exercises are all about controlling your breath, so I'm not sure how well it would help in running.  I don't know how much breath management happens in running -- for me, I just breathe!  But basically you stand up and put your hands on your ribs just below your bra line (guys, imagine wearing a bra).  Then you can consciously expand your rib cage, and you can actually feel it moving your hands.  It's not an expansion due to breathing in, it's true control over those little muscles.  So count to 20 -- on the odd numbers, you press in with your hands.  On even numbers, you expand against your hand pressure.  It's a slow 20 count, and don't time it to your breath or you'll cheat and expand by breathing.  The eventual goal is to keep your rib cage expanded for the entire duration of a song, because that gives you more capacity to take in air in a relaxed fashion rather than trying to suck it in with tension.  Huh, so maybe it would help with running!

It's harder to describe than it is to do! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Thank you, Tracilynn!  :-*

It's harder to describe than it is to do! 

I just tried it, HsM.  It seemed hard to do to me!  I'm going to keep trying it though.  It surely won't hurt my running.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi pens.

She Can: good job on the marathon and it's even better because you are not limping! FYI, my friend is in the same AG as me and he is a guy. If I do it, there is no way I could race it. I am not ready to race another marathon yet and I would likely run it "Scotty style." It would be a long easy, super easy run. Besides, I'm training with DW for her debut marathon in May. Smile

5.1 miles on trails with DW are done. Time for a fat breakfast burrito: egg whites, mushrooms, avocados, extra salsa, no cheese. Yum...