Beginners and Beyond

I think I'm going to reconsider taking fish oil (Read 165 times)

Love the Half

The only supplement I take other than a multivitamin is fish oil.  For a long time, folks have touted the heart health benefits of omega 3 fatty acids in fish oil.  Yet, a new study replicated the results of a 2011 study that found a significantly increased risk of aggressive prostate cancer associated with a high level of omega 3.  Combine this with a meta-analysis in the January, 2013 edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association that examined 20 studies and found no correlation between omega 3 supplementation and reduced cardiovascular risk.  Attached is the link to the article.  I should note that my father had prostate cancer so I'm at increased risk anyway.

Omega-3 and Prostate Cancer

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Hip Redux

DHA levels in the blood are also affected by what you eat.   There are studies that low fat diets result in high DHA blood levels (link).   So it may not be the little pill that causes the increased blood levels, it may be the 99% other stuff people eat that has a bigger impact.   Of course, the original study makes no attempt to figure out why people's DHA levels are what they are, they just measured blood levels and incidence of prostate cancer.     Not to mention, because the two things happen doesn't necessarily mean one causes the other.

Resident Historian

"I'm feeling so confused today
        they've gone and changed the rules again
        cos in my life I'm trying hard
        to do it all so I can remain
        healthy and sane

I'll live forever, always one more tomorrow
        living forever, always one more tomorrow

I heard it on the radio  internet

too much of what they said wasn't so
        and now we've got to do those things
        that they thought before were so wrong
        to be healthy and strong

and live forever, always one more tomorrow
        living forever, always one more tomorrow"

I know we don't need youI
        I know we don't believe you
        you don't really have the answers
        you think you know better
        you think it really matters
        you just want to rule over everybody's lives

Genesis - "Living Forever"

Take your pick...

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I took fish oil for a short while years ago til I read the same stuff.  I figure if I eat a tuna sandwich every once in a while, that's good enough.  Rarely, I'll have some salmon as a treat but otherwise I rarely eat fish.  Arguments for Mediterranean diet abound but who knows.

On hijack note I am sad now whenever I hear Genesis and/or Phil as they are pretty well done.  Phil had some issues with back and wrist and has called it quits.  Almost sadly, he himself even made some sad remark about how he couldn't believe people tolerated his music for so long. This guy is a musical genius as is Tony Banks & IMHO, to a lesser extent Mike Rutherford.  Nevertheless I am glad I have an album of music that is longer than most musicians could produce in 2 lifetimes much less 1.

P. S.  Also this......Life is terminal!  Big grin

Randy

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Tuna has the potential for mercury poisoning.  I'm just sayin'

You people have issues 

Well I am always skeptical about the latest studies on these kind of things, because they keep contradicting each other. I have never actually taken any kind of vitamin or supplement in my life, due to a combination of cynicism & laziness. I prefer to just eat food. And of course some of the conventional wisdom now is that taking vitamins/supplements does not necessarily provide the same benefits as eating the foods they come from. I choose to believe those studies because they support my argument.

And I will have to agree with Phil Collins - I can't believe people tolerated his music for so long. Sorry.

Dave

Jess runs for bacon

I hate fish, and I am a Peter Gabriel fan myself.

Will run for scenery.

I took fish oil pills for a while, but the burps were a little nasty.  I eat lots of salmon b/c salmon has lots of oil, oil is a form of fat, and fat is what makes food awesome.  I'd add butter if it would only stick !

As a scientist (physics) I have a super-duper hard time taking any health-related research seriously.  Step 1) Somebody decides to fund your research, b/c they like what you are going to discover. 2) Who cares WTF happens. 3) You publish, b/c you have to. 4) No matter what you actually say (or don't say) the media spins it as the most significant, life altering discovery since blood-letting and leeches.  Everybody wins!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Buelligan

I'm pleasantly surprised that a scientist uses the word "super-duper."

I used to be a vitamin and supplement proponent.  After using a variety of them for decades, I finally realized they didn't do nearly as much for me as eating right.  I don't take any supplements now and pay more attention to just eating smart.  I can really feel it out there on the road.

Not a fan of Genesis in any incarnation, Gabriel or Collins.  I did kinda like "Solsbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel... that's about it.

delicate flower

Isn't there an internet study for pretty much everything, indicating anything will give you some kind of cancer?  You're only true way of preventing it is to do nothing, consume nothing, and go nowhere.

Besides, prostate cancer is like one of the nicer cancers you can get.

<3

Love the Half

Isn't there an internet study for pretty much everything, indicating anything will give you some kind of cancer?  You're only true way of preventing it is to do nothing, consume nothing, and go nowhere.

Besides, prostate cancer is like one of the nicer cancers you can get.

Except that the treatment can leave you impotent and incontinent so you get to wear a diaper the rest of your life and you can't have sex.  That's pretty nice wouldn't you say?

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

There is also a difference between a single study and a meta-analysis.  The study showing no benefit to Omega-3 supplementation was a meta-analysis of 20 studies.  The prostate cancer link wasn't a meta-analysis but it was a replicated finding of a previous study.

Of course, I suppose those who discount all studies don't think cigarettes are harmful either.

Hip Redux

There is also a difference between a single study and a meta-analysis.  The study showing no benefit to Omega-3 supplementation was a meta-analysis of 20 studies.  The prostate cancer link wasn't a meta-analysis but it was a replicated finding of a previous study.

Of course, I suppose those who discount all studies don't think cigarettes are harmful either.

The study showing no benefit is one thing, and that may be accurate - but the prostrate cancer link isn't really very informative because there's no mention in the study that the men were taking omega-3s.  Just that they had a certain fatty acid blood profile.  Which can be caused by any number of things.

delicate flower

Except that the treatment can leave you impotent and incontinent so you get to wear a diaper the rest of your life and you can't have sex.  That's pretty nice wouldn't you say?

Thanks for the clarification that prostate cancer actually is not a nice thing.  You learn something new every day.

<3

RSX

Next thing you will be telling me that my echanacia doesn't work. (jk) I take fish oil, and hate fish.