Beginners and Beyond

Humpity hump hump penguins! (Read 27 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

7:30am and no penguin thread yet? Shame on you all, bunch of lazies! Tongue

Did 4 last night with my buddy. He did really well. We were shooting for 40min but we were at 3.60 miles so he was like what's .4 more. So we just went ahead and did 4.

Plan on running again tonight, maybe 5?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Philliefan33

Good morning Jimmy -- things sure are slow around here when I'm the second poster at 8:30 am!

Did 5 miles last night with some intervals.  5 easy miles planned tonight -- looks like I might get wet.

Bin Running

Jimmy, thanks for starting. Congrats on the 4 last night.

7M at slightly faster than easy done.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Good morning Jimmy, Phillie, Bin.

I hope to run 6 or so when I get up, but for the time being, good night.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I was not being lazy, Jimmy. I got up at 5:30 a.m. and went to my gym and did a weight training circuit for an hour.   Those pills the dentist gave me yesterday really kicked my butt, I zoned out pretty much most of the day yesterday and through the night.  The weight training circuit really helped me 'shake it off."   However, since I have not done my weight training circuit in about 2 weeks, my muscles now are quivering like Santa's bowlful of jelly, lol.    After work today, I may go to the Zoo and do the Zoo 2-Mile Fun Run that is held every Wednesday evening from April through October.

Sounds like your friend is doing well, Jimmy.  Good luck with your miles later if you do them.

Congrats on the intervals, Margo.  Hope the weather behaves for your run, later.  If not, well, you're one of the few people who probably look good wet... Big grin

Congrats on the 7, Bin.  Hope your monsoon season rain behaved itself!

Ugg, miss just one day of work and there is so much catch-up to do on e-mail, etc!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I now have an awful cough. Combine with torrential downpour with flash flood warnings and lightening, I am taking a URD Sad. No work today....have to do an HR orientation at my new job at 11.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

scotty - you did better than me. I set my alarm for 4:30, was going to get up and do legs but I just didn't have it in me. I grabbed some extra sleep instead.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Good morning friends,

I walked 3 miles this am. I think that my legs will be ready for some running tomorrow, but I might keep walking the rest of the week.

Make today great.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  5 and weights since I didn't have time to do weights yesterday when I spent 6 hours at a deposition.  At least I managed to run 2.65 with hubby (well, run/walk).

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi guys... I will get out for five or six later. Gotta run...

One Half So Far

Mornin, amigos.  Today's my Thursday since I'll be spending all day Friday being in charge of a 20-team track meet.

Got in about 5 last night, easy.  Just tried to stay slow, as it's still stupidly unseasonably warm (for Oregon, Damaris, not for Florida) here.

Bin: That track you showed yesterday would scare the hell out of me to run on.....I have real issues with heights.

Jimmy: 5 sounds good. Enjoy.

Margo: so THAT'S where our rain went.

Mitch: Back on graveyard again?  BOOOO.

Scotty: If you do the fun run, take some pics. Not going to watch the Spurs tonight?  Dunno if you're a fan or not.

Kristin: Get better soon!

Tomas: That's probably a good idea. Perhaps biking, also.

Damaris: Not sure which is worse: dental pills or a 6-hour deposition.  Sounds painful.

Jack: Have a good run today.

Should prolly do 3-4 when I get home today.

Have a good day, amigos.

~Jeff~

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  Sorry I haven't checked in for a couple of days.  Yesterday I wanted a bit more of a challenge, so I took the dogs to one of my favorite trails.  It has an average of 8% grade for the first two miles- enough to make me break a sweat, even at a walk, so yay!  Funny how none of that seems to bother my knee at all.

Today I will walk again, closer to home this time, and start baking cookies for the ultra that they're hosting this weekend.  They will do the trail I did and many, many others.  They need something like 50 dozen cookies for the aid stations.  Luckily, I am one of several cookie bakers.

Jimmy- Nice that you have a running buddy now!

Margo- Hope the rain holds off until after your run!

Bin- Like "slightly faster than easy" pace!

Mitch- Sweet dreams!

Scotty- Good job getting up and getting the weights done this AM!

Kristin- Hope you are feeling better soon!  Good luck at orientation!

T-rod- Nice job taking it easy!  I am sure you'll be running plenty of miles soon!

D- So much fun that DH is running with you nowadays!  Glad you got your run in already today.

Jack- Have a good run later!

Zelanie

Jeff- Have a good day, and good luck at the track meet!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh, I have not run today.  That's for tonight.  I wish!

Morning, penguins!  Sorry I haven't checked in for a couple of days.  Yesterday I wanted a bit more of a challenge, so I took the dogs to one of my favorite trails.  It has an average of 8% grade for the first two miles- enough to make me break a sweat, even at a walk, so yay!  Funny how none of that seems to bother my knee at all.

Today I will walk again, closer to home this time, and start baking cookies for the ultra that they're hosting this weekend.  They will do the trail I did and many, many others.  They need something like 50 dozen cookies for the aid stations.  Luckily, I am one of several cookie bakers.

Jimmy- Nice that you have a running buddy now!

Margo- Hope the rain holds off until after your run!

Bin- Like "slightly faster than easy" pace!

Mitch- Sweet dreams!

Scotty- Good job getting up and getting the weights done this AM!

Kristin- Hope you are feeling better soon!  Good luck at orientation!

T-rod- Nice job taking it easy!  I am sure you'll be running plenty of miles soon!

D- So much fun that DH is running with you nowadays!  Glad you got your run in already today.

Jack- Have a good run later!

Damaris