Beginners and Beyond

Penguins Celebrate Life Thursday! (Read 21 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

JANUARY 22 IS CELEBRATE LIFE DAY

After 5 days of running in a row, I am celebrating today by NOT running.  Good day around here not to run too, weather is miserable, POURING rain - we are predicted to get 2 to 4 inches over the next couple of days - and the temp is dropping.  I came in to work a bit early today to avoid all the traffic....San Antonio has a very high percentage of really bad drivers in bad weather. (not me, of course..  )...and even when I left early, there were already about 10 accidents around the area, sheesh.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Morning Scotty. Same weather here -5 degrees or so. We might see some flakes. I've got a 5 mile commute so not to much goes wrong usually.

6 Done on the TM this morning.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Ran 8 with 4 at faster than MP this morning (working from home, yay).  Pilates tonight and maybe some extra miles with hubby.

Scotty, enjoy your rest day.

PAD, nice job on the marathon training.  You can do this!

Thanks for the congratulations and good wishes about my husband.  They are really appreciated.

Damaris

Zelanie

Morning!  Going to run 6ish with the running club later.

Stay safe, PAD and Scotty!

D- Nice AM run, and glad that hubby is well!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

D: Good news about the husband. I'm happy to hear. Smile

Scotty: Sounds like a good day for a RD. Nice little streak!

PAD: Good work. Soon, it will all be over (until the next one).

Z: Hi Z. Have fun with the club.  I hope the TM is working out for you.

AFM, I have conferences today and tomorrow. That means getting home late. Tomorrow is a SRD but today I am scheduled for 10 miles. That means running in the dark with my reflective vest. My achilles is acting up a bit. I hope it's nothing. Maybe it is reacting to the extra miles I am putting in and has to adjust and get stronger.  I should probably ice and stretch more. It's too early in the cycle for this. Bleh...

Have a good day.

tracilynn

Good morning penguins

Scotty, nice run streak you had going. Yuck on all the rain. We have those same kind of drivers around here too.

Pad, nice run. How many more weeks for you?  The countdown is on. You've been so consistent.

Damaris, enjoy your work day at home   does work pay you for running? Ha.

ZEL, have fun with your group run later

I'm still sick, coughing and now sinus crud.   Not running but I will do some strength XT stuff.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

The TM is great. I have run a marathon on it already. Over 3 days, but still. Smile

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!  Thanks for the pep talk re: registering for NYCM yesterday.  I think I'll do it but I'm waiting until just before it closes because I'm an injury prone klutz.

Today I'll run another 5ish easy.  This weekend my half is being threatened by a N'oreaster.  I'm hoping that it is warm enough that it is just rain.  I can't run a HM in the snow =P

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I could use some celebrating, definitely!  The quartet met last night to chat, because we've been having some issues and drama.  I don't do drama, I don't play games, I say what I think, and people who can't commit to an opinion drive me nuts.  So, there is yet another discussion scheduled next week, and I'm tired of thinking about it.  Sheesh.

Scotty -- glad you're not running today!!

PAD -- sorry about your icky weather!!

Docket -- Enjoy Pilates and extra miles!!

Zelanie -- have fun with the running club!!

Jack -- I'm not that fond of conferences, really.  Hope your achilles behaves!!

traci -- Sorry you're feeling poorly!!

sapf -- hoping for warm enough weather for you!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

PADRunner

Thanks, just over 5 weeks to go. The treadmill has really saved me.

I can do this!

I can do this!

I can do this!

WTF am I doing!

I can do this!

I can do this!

I can do this!

WTF am I doing!

Jack - As Apollo said to Rocky, "Ain't going to be no rematch!"

From the Internet.

I had to cut my planned 8 mile MLR short at 4.8 miles and take the bus back to work. Left IT band, which has never bothered me before in my life, started complaining around mile 3.5, stretched and massaged my hip a bit but it just continued to get worse. Beyond annoyed right now. I spent the last couple of months running easy miles and I feel like not doing any speedwork at all during that time was a bad call - my legs are rebelling now that I'm trying to add it back into my routine.

Would some kind of professional massage be a good move, or should I just try to work the kinks out myself with foam roller/stick/lacrosse ball?

Brilliant

Good morning, Penguins!

Scotty, wise to take a day off!

Damaris, nice running.

PAD, good job getting it done on the treadmill. You've got this!

Zel, have a fun club run. i run with a club on Tuesday mornings and it's a highlight of every week

Jack, stay safe in the dark.

traci, feel better soon!

sapf, have a good run.

Lauren, sorry about the aches and pains. Sad

HM, sorry about the drama. I've been in so many groups with drama -even a running group! Someone got her feelings hurt and next thing we knew, a splinter group had formed! Crazy. Hope yours works out.

AFM -9.8 done this morning.

Zelanie

HsM- Hopefully the drama passes quickly

Lauren- Bummer! It might be good to go to a massage guy. My guy was saying something about there not being enough bony structures around the IT band to support it while you roll, so he says not to roll it at all, just stretch and massage. That said, the one time I dealt with that, rolling totally fixed the problem. So who knows.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.2 street run for us.  Bike path is still a mess. So we see lots of high school kids running on our route.  They turn off to stay on the side streets while we go to a busier street. We run about another mile to our house and there's 3 of the HS girls following us.  We finally  stop at the house and we hear them say "they're not with us".  So I guess we look/run like 15 year old girls.  Felt like a Scotty Moment ???  Made my day (I think).

Good luck with the quartet, HsM.  Maybe you should take them for a run.

Feel better Lauren and Traci.