Beginners and Beyond

Honoring 9/11 (Read 101 times)

SusanRachel

Anyone planning any special remembrances for 9/11?

So far, mine has consisted of ducking incoming mortar rounds.  There is a 5k planned for this weekend.  Hope y'all have something meaningful planned.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Anyone planning any special remembrances for 9/11?

So far, mine has consisted of ducking incoming mortar rounds.  There is a 5k planned for this weekend.  Hope y'all have something meaningful planned.

You joke, but I'd say dodging enemy fire in our volunteer armed forces is honoring the people lost that day better than all the ribbons and cheesy facebook posts put together. Thanks for your service!

Jess runs for bacon

I am trying to think of something to do. Haven't figured it out yet.

Thank you so much for your service!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thank you for your service Susan Rachel!!!

The Brooklyn 9/11 Memorial is a few blocks from me, and it has a great view of the Freedom Tower and memorial lights. Will probably go leave flowers there.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Love the Half

I'm teaching a class this semester called: "From Alexander to Osama: A History of War."  We trace the history of Western warfare from the incipient development of the infantry among the Ancient Greeks through the War on Terror.  We finish the class by asking whether the Western style of warfare with its reliance on well financed, professional militaries will continue to dominate the geo-political landscape for the foreseeable future or whether it has become an anachronism against a foe that is asynchronous and non-hierarchical.  Tomorrow is one of our regularly scheduled meetings.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

I'm teaching a class this semester called: "From Alexander to Osama: A History of War."  We trace the history of Western warfare from the incipient development of the infantry among the Ancient Greeks through the War on Terror.  We finish the class by asking whether the Western style of warfare with its reliance on well financed, professional militaries will continue to dominate the geo-political landscape for the foreseeable future or whether it has become an anachronism against a foe that is asynchronous and non-hierarchical.  Tomorrow is one of our regularly scheduled meetings.

That is one seriously ambitious topic for one semester. Any course called "History of War" could as easily be called just "History".

And the whole world will be anxious to learn what you decide is the answer to that question....

Dave

happylily

Stay safe, Susan Rachel.

I'm just going to say a prayer for those who lost their life, or lost a loved one.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

On Wednesday 9/11 I will attend for the 12th annual memorial at the Official Pennsylvania Memorial dedicated to those who perished.  This wonderful place is less than 2 miles from my house and I run through it at least 2 times per week.  We will be at the candlelight vigil with nearly a 1,000 others from the area to reflect.  Ran the Garden 5k this past Sunday as part of their annual fundraiser.

"After Darkness ... Light"

http://www.9-11memorialgarden.org/index.asp

P.  42 Small Luminaries: Along the spiral path encircling the heart of the Memorial are small luminaries symbolizing the 42 children from Pennsylvania who lost a parent that day and who in the midst of our sorrow light up our lives and are a source of hope.

K.  Circle of Reflection: As you approach the heart of the Memorial you pass the Interpretative plaque identifying the seventeen Victims. Seventeen Bucks County Victims’ Names are etched on hand cast glass panels overlooking a circular pool of water.

.  Reflections: Twin Fountains in the pool rise to the heavens symbolizing the spirits of those lost.  The two square voids at the center of the pool represent the lost World Trade Center towers.  The base of the pool is constructed with reflective quartzite stone.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I'll be running in Red, White, and Blue tomorrow morning (with a touch of orange, of course), and I will be wearing the nation's colors to work tomorrow.

Never forget...

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

I'm running 9.11 miles.  I've done it every year since I started runinng.  It's not a race, it's just me, and I use it as time to reflect on what happened that day, think the the present, and think about the past.  It's nothing big, but it's just a think I do.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Man, in all this Syria crap (and crap at work) I almost totally forgot.  I gotta wash my American flag shirt!!!

Thanks for the reminder!!

Randy

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

Thank you for your service, Susan Rachel. I haven't kept up with your deployments as well as I should have, but I pray you come home safely.

For me today, just silent prayer and reflection on the tragedy of 12 years ago that in many ways still continues today. If my body allows, I may go for a walk.  My kids have a unit on 9/11 in school, so I'm sure they'll both come home full of questions I hope I can answer. Oldest is 9, youngest is 6.

Relentless forward progress

RSX

Thanks everyone for your service past or present.

StepbyStep-SH

Just a prayer. Of hope, and of thanks for those like you, SR, who are still giving of yourself in the crazy aftermath of that day.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

SusanRachel

Wow, LtH, wish I could take that course.  That would be fascinating.

Kristin, I'd love to visit that.

Fourouta5, that place looks beautiful.

Tom, my running will be in a gray Army tshirt and black Army shorts.  Red, white, and blue would be nice.

Van, nice tribute!

LearningDaily, it's my fourth deployment: three to Afghanistan, one to Iraq.

Our day was a little different here - many of the usual Afghan workers were not allowed on the base, so chow was pretty limited and the lines were long, but at least it wasn't MREs.  And I did manage to score a pack of cookies.  Smile  No running today.  I'll have to stick to doing an Insanity DVD in my room because we are already on lockdown for the night.