Beginners and Beyond

Well, Here I Go (Read 80 times)

tcg

Just got an email from the race, they say there's a chance they may cancel the race after the start. That means they will evacuate the course. If that happens they will have to pick me up and carry me away.

The wife and I just figured out we have at least a grand invested in this race. Hotel, registration, foot doctor, and all the overpriced stuff we got at the expo. Plus I'm taking everyone out to lunch after the race.

They better not cancel.

hog4life

I did the full back in 2015. This was one of the best running experiences ever for me! I was born there, but grew up in Arkansas, and dad still lives there. This was just my 2nd full, and after nearly breaking my ankle in September, I had no real big expectations, except to have fun. I negative split the thing while passing what seemed to be thousands and thousands of people. I've got a RR floating around here somewhere.

Couple points of interest for me

1. Ambassador Bridge was not that steep, IMO, and was beautiful. There were guards with guns yelling at you if your bib is not visible as you come into Canada, so when the instructions say make sure your bib is visible, make sure they can see it. No sunrise that year, it was snowing a bit while we waited for the start, temp was low 30's, and warmed to low 50's.

2. Big long and boring stretch during miles 16-20(or maybe 18-21)

3. The race was crowded, but not like the picture you posted. With the U.S. only HM starting a bit later, there was always someone to chat with if you chose to.

I hope you get to run it!

Hip Redux

Just got an email from the race, they say there's a chance they may cancel the race after the start. That means they will evacuate the course. If that happens they will have to pick me up and carry me away.

The wife and I just figured out we have at least a grand invested in this race. Hotel, registration, foot doctor, and all the overpriced stuff we got at the expo. Plus I'm taking everyone out to lunch after the race.

They better not cancel.

My husband is running as well.  I really hope they don't cancel on you guys!  Though from the radar, you're at least gonna get reallllly soaked. Fingers crossed!

kkittenkat

English Villian

They better not cancel.

So how was it? Smile

tcg

First off I survived.

Second off the footpod with my Garmin 410 worked flawlessly. The 410 popped up a message as soon as it lost signal asking if I was indoors, I ignored that message and hoped for the best. As soon as I got out of the tunnel it acquired a signal and had the correct mileage.

Third, I never felt so safe and secure. There were more police, FBI, bomb squad, border patrol agents then I've ever seen along with helicopters securing the entire route.

Now the race...

The incline leading up to the bridge, at least for me, was more than I was prepared for. I ran at my planned pace until about 50 yards before the peak then I had to walk until it peaked. Started running again as soon as it was on the decline. Back on planned pace until around 6 miles.

I got dizzy with a headache, not good for me but I kept going on pace into the tunnel where I made up some time going downhill but once it started to incline again I slowed way down and had to walk.

Still dizzy with a headache. I suspect a little dehydrated along with low blood pressure which happens to me on occasion while running. Doctor can't explain.

I did run to the 9 mile mark but then it was walk run the remainder of the race.

The weather played really nice with no rain until we finished but there were still lots of runners on the course when the rain hit.

The course was awesome, lots of spectators, lots of signs and several little kids out there high fiving everyone. Whenever I saw a little kid with their hand out I made an effort to go over and give them a slap.

The start was well organized sending off waves every 2 minutes getting every one of the 26,400 runners across in less than a half hour.

Overall I finished about a minute and a half per mile slower than I planned. All of my long runs leading up to this went really well so I'm not sure what happened other than the 2 big hills beat me.

My wife and I talked about it, I think I'm done with the long runs for now. We'll see, I still may attempt the Detroit Turkey Trot Double running the 10k and the 5k on Thanksgiving morning.

I rewarded myself, wife, and daughter with Buddy's pizza along with a big order of bacon cheddar fries. If you're not familiar with the Detroit area, Buddy's Pizza has been a tradition of the area for over 70 years.

I'm disappointed in my time but I'm glad we did it and it was worth every penny.

One other thing, I was very impressed the all the people out there. They were all shapes, sizes, ages, and abilities. Every one of them gets credit for getting out there and participating.

Oh, and I never felt a bit of discomfort or pain in my ankles. Steroid shots are awesome.

DavePNW

Congrats!

I rewarded myself, wife, and daughter with Buddy's pizza along with a big order of bacon cheddar fries. If you're not familiar with the Detroit area, Buddy's Pizza has been a tradition of the area for over 70 years.

It's that burnt cheese crust that makes it.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats!  I loved this race!

Damaris

LRB

If you have not already, stop by one of the three Crispelli's locations. Their pizza pies are amazing.

LRB

I'm disappointed in my time but I'm glad we did it and it was worth every penny.

Well, anytime you can say that it helps. Nice job toughing it out.

DavePNW

If you have not already, stop by one of the three Crispelli's locations. Their pizza pies are amazing.

When I worked in Southfield, we used to always do Shield's.

Dave

tcg

My daughter and husband live in downtown Royal Oak. The next time we take them out to dinner I'll give the Berkley location a try.

Or maybe the next time they take me out to dinner. No wait, like that will happen.

tcg

When I worked in Southfield, we used to always do Shield's.

Haven't been to Shields in forever.

Anotherrun

Congrats, TCG.

hog4life

Congratulations on your race. I’ll be in Detroit for a few days after I run the Marine Corps Marathon, and will be looking for the pizza places. Do you know, are there locations near Troy?

hog4life

Any of these out near Troy?