Beginners and Beyond

Are you an adult? (Read 136 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I can do all of those things, yet consider myself VERY much a child.

Randy

RSX

As for subways, I am still in love with the Boston T system.  It actually goes to useful places. 

My whole life I have never even heard anyone say that they even like our system. The main lines only have 2 cars so are extra crowded at rush hour. Freshman year in undergrad I would walk home an hour on occasion to not use it. I bought a car sophomore year and avoided it as much as possible after that. There is only 1 line to Boston that I like using from the burbs.

Hip Redux

My whole life I have never even heard anyone say that they even like our system. The main lines only have 2 cars so are extra crowded at rush hour. Freshman year in undergrad I would walk home an hour on occasion to not use it. I bought a car sophomore year and avoided it as much as possible after that. There is only 1 line to Boston that I like using from the burbs.

The red line is the best.

Decent list. To which I'd add:

Jump start a car

Write a thank you note

Get dressed (i.e. tie a tie)

Operate basic power tools (including big ones like mower, snowblower)

Basic electrical safety

Basic plumbing (fix drip, replace toilet, avoid frozen pipes)

How to use/not use a ladder

Ride a bike

Table manners

File an insurance claim / deal with an accident

Paint a room

Hang a picture

Just top of my head thinking of things I don't want my son/daughter to have to call me for when I'm 60.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
          catwhoorg

Labrat

Done all the list, assuming the Tube counts (or Boston's T) as a subway.

I certainly had not done all of them before I left home.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Hmm I had done pretty much all of those before I left home. Though technically a few I learned after I left for Army basic training at 18. Sew a button, ironing, stuff like that. even hospital corners! Had to know how to make a bed you could literally bounce a quarter on. Not really a useful life skill in itself, but does teach attention to detail very well.

My son is 17 and can do almost all that, I don't think he knows how to iron or sew on a button. He's been taught a hospital corner but I doubt he ever feels the need to make one  Fitted sheets are a pretty cool invention.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I honestly didn't realize fitted sheets were something that wasn't always around 

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Jump start a car

Write a thank you note

Basic electrical safety

Ride a bike

Table manners

Paint a room

Hang a picture

Just top of my head thinking of things I don't want my son/daughter to have to call me for when I'm 60.

I'm pretty good with this list, too. Except "big" power tools like lawn mower and snow blower. I live in an apartment so I guess those will need to be learned if I ever have a yard to mow or a walkway or driveway to snowblow. And plumbing stuff I have no idea but thankfully my building's super does!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Even with fitted sheets, you're "supposed to" do the hospital corners on the top sheet.  The only time I have actually done this was when I worked in a medical facility, or the guest room when my grandmother, who taught me how, was coming to visit.  Everyone else I know likes un-tucked sheets so I don't bother.  It's hardly a survival skill.

Given my location, I would replace things like riding the subway and taking a cab with basic wilderness safety - using a compass, reading a topographical map, telling direction by the sun, what to do if lost (the answer isn't use your cell phone).

Shouldn't basic first aid skills go beyond splinter removal?

Paying bills, writing checks and ATM withdrawals may not go well if you skip the balancing a check book lesson.

I also see the importance of tire changing, again, the cell phone may be useless and you may be waiting hours for a knight in shining armor.  And forget checking the oil - how about pumping gas.  Lesson one - turn off the $%^%$^$ car.

Overall, this may be a list of the particular things this individual has run into, but not the most important things your kids should know.

ETA: Reading that over, I'm certainly a cranky pants today.  Time for more coffee before one of my coworkers gets in the line of fire.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Granite I'd be completely screwed if I lived in a rural area. I don't know how to read a topographical map or navigate using the compass and the sun (but the sun rises in the east and sets in the west so unless it is high noon I may be able to figure it out??). A bonus of city living is there is never no one around.

Baboon

delicate flower

Jump start a car

Write a thank you note

Basic electrical safety

Ride a bike

Table manners

Paint a room

Hang a picture

I am about as useless as a poopie flavored lollipop.

<3

Love the Half

I haven't seen a fuse box in a house for a very, very long time.  A circuit breaker box, yeah.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I can do all the list stuff.

Even what  kevin added. I don't tie ties but I'm a girl. And I do know how to. Just haven't in forever. I had more tools than dh did when we got married. Growing up with a very mechanical brother and father assured that. I thought it was normal....I didn't mow a lawn until I was married and only when dh was gone for several weeks. Not great at it but I can figure it out.

Hospital corners yep. Still do them on the top sheet. Keeps top sheet from coming untucked

I'm with LTH on fuses since everywhere is now breaker boxes.  but I can change one if I had to and I even know how to change all the old bulbs in the old TV sets even though no one does that anymore or has those type TVs . My brother still has the old kit my grandfather kept with all the different sizes in them.

Marjorie

LRB

...but I can change one if I had to and I even know how to change all the old bulbs in the old TV sets even though no one does that anymore or has those type TVs . My brother still has the old kit my grandfather kept with all the different sizes in them.

My father kept them in a brown paper bag.  Funny how no matter what size or style tube we needed, there was always one in there!

Hip Redux

How about drive a stick shift?   That should be on the list.  (did someone mention that already?)

Deal with an accident is a good one.  Because when it happens, the last thing you want to do is get a crash course (pun not intended).  Same with jump starting a car.

I can't remember the last time I sewed a button, in fact I probably couldn't even find the needle and thread if I did need to sew something.

Also, explanation of mortgages, down payments and general real estate stuff would be handy to know.