Beginners and Beyond

Odometer Day Monday Penguins (Read 24 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

Awesome holiday, right? I just bought my dad's car from him. It's a 2005 but only has 45,000 miles on it. 

I'm planning on C25K W7D1 after work. It's awesome that I'm solidly in the no-walk-break phase. Almost there and on to OHR!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Woke up with an asthma flareup and congested, bah.  6-7 miles and weights tonight.

Obie, enjoy the "new" car.

Damaris

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I haven't checked in here in forever. Must get better! I have been running though....just closed out a 24.5 mile week, my highest of the year so far. I had a really really shitty 10K on Saturday, and trying to shake it off and move on. Really hoping to finally break that elusive 60 minute mark, but failed again. The hills got me. It was in Central Park, and included Harlem Hill most of the third mile. I was still pretty much on pace at the 5K mark (29Tight lippedx when my Garmin hit 3.1, 30:!4 official split from the timing mat, which was closer to 3.2 on my Garmin) but Harlem hill I guess took all my energy because when I hit the smaller West Side hills my pace fell apart. It was also 91% humidity. Oh well.

SRD today.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

on my way to badass

Morning Penguins! Obie- thanks for starting us off. Enjoy your new wheels. DR- Sorry to hear about the flare-up. Krisitn- Winter was so long and harsh, the suddenly warm and humid weather just sucks the life out of you. AFM- mowing the lawn today.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Obie, Docket, Kristin, and Stone.

Health club this afternoon for me.   RD unless DW needs company running.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Florida is having an inversion of warm air trapping all the pollution to the ground.  My breathing was 52% on Saturday, the day I ran a 5K and came in super slow.  Ugh, I need some clear air to breathe, damn it.

Damaris

Zelanie

Morning!  Woke up super late.  6-7 after work.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

obiebyke - It's always cool to keep a car purchase in the family.  Everybody wins.  Congratulations on the progress!

Kristin - Don't beat yourself up over the 10K results.  It sounds like tough conditions, and with your mileage on the rise it should get easier.  I think you'll hit your goal this fall, if not sooner.  I know that the warm weather has tossed a wet blanket on my paces.  Well, that and a lot of wind this year.  My paces have actually been better on the way BACK to the house lately, just because the wind is at my back.

StoneFence - I've never been so happy to mow my lawn as I was this weekend.  Winter is gone, and I fixed my lawn mower.  Love it.

Jerry - Going to the gym isn't a rest day.  It's a cross training day :-)

DocketRocket - When are you just going to get out of Florida?  It doesn't sound like a fun place to run at all.

Zel - Enjoy your miles.

AFM - My paces have been a bit slower lately, but I blame heat, wind and an incredibly difficult schedule.  That's why I haven't been on much lately.  Unfortunately, it's also been taking a toll on my weight loss.  I'm not too worried about it though, because we're going on a detoxification diet sometime here in the near future.  It sounds like it sucks, but my wife is finding that some of her issues have been cleared up by eliminating dairy.  So, we're going to go through the entire detox process and slowly add things back in until we find out what works best for both of us.  I have a feeling that by the time we get to the point that we're eating only veggies, I'll probably wither away and look like an Olsen twin.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Quick check in for me, I will try to get some personals a bit later. 5-6 miles with some strides for me, later tonight. It is officially "taper time."

Ginny: The PF is "ok." It seems to be behave when I run. It just comes and goes as it pleases. A few weeks ago I though it was gone for good and then it showed up again.

Zel: Did you get the Hanson book or did you you find the plan online? I might try that plan next time.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!! Since I've been doing yoga fairly regularly, my knee has been feeling a lot better. So this week DH and I are walking after work, hoping to restart C25k (again) next week. So, office yoga this afternoon, then a walk with DH and Dusty (if it's not storming).

Obie -- my car's a 2012, and I just rolled over 50k last week!!

Docket -- think breathy thoughts!!

kristin -- sorry about the lousy race!! (It still sounds good to me!)

Stone -- I'm hoping DH is mowing our lawn today too ... it's getting awfully long out there!

Jerryb -- have fun at the club this evening!!

Zelanie -- Mondays are like that, sometimes. We don't want to start the week!!

Awood -- sounds like a perfect storm of stuff!! Hope your schedule settles down a little!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Philliefan33

Hi everyone.

I did two decent runs over the weekend, 5+ miles on my hilly route at the mountain house (it's been a while since I've done hills, so I had to walk some going up Big Bertha) and then 6.5 miles along the river yesterday.  It was hot yesterday -- sunny and low 70's, and with no leaves on the trees yet there wasn't much shade for refuge.  By the end of August, a temp in the low 70's will seem heavenly but it felt hot yesterday.

Tonight will be something -- a shorter run, a bike ride, yard work, or yoga (or some combination).I've been taking a more relaxed approached to my running schedule:  i.e. not following a plan, but trying to get 4-5 runs per week with some quality and the overall goal of purposely running a little faster and slowly increasing mileage.  It's nice to not be a slave to some predetermined mileage goal (NTTAWWT, I'm just at a different place right now).

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jack - Enjoy the taper.  I know you'll be training for something else soon :-)

HsM - I'm thinking that I should try some yoga.  I just need to figure out where to fit it in.  Have you noticed that it's better to do before a run, after a run, etc?  I could see where it might make the next run go better.  I don't know.

Philliefan - I trained for the Oak Barrel half without a plan.  I feel like if I had stayed healthy, I would have had a shot at a PR.  It is definitely nice.  Over time, we get a feel for what kinds of runs and mileage we need.  Since I'm training for a faster 5K now, I'm actually following a plan, but it's got some freedom built in.  Right now, I'm feeling like marathon and half marathon training benefited my 5K more, but I'm going to stick with it and give it a fair shot.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Singer who runs a smidge

I think yoga will fit in best where you're most likely to do it.  Mine happens around 4:30 in my tiny little office after my tech has gone home.  I was having trouble finding a regular time to do it at home, and I realized that very few people come to see me at work after 4 pm, so I thought that would work well.   I don't even have a mat here, just a pair of loose capris I can change into, and I pull off my shoes and socks.  But if you want to tie it to a run, I think either before or after would be good -- just try it and see which way you like it best.  Pre-run yoga would get you warmed up and loosened up, and post-run yoga would get things stretched out afterwards.  How could you go wrong?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Obiebyke - your dad doesn't drive much, nice.  Our 2010 had 100,000 on it when we bought it last year. Good job on reaching 30 minutes non-stop.

Damaris - sorry for the smog and your asthma flaring up.  That's what the TM is for right?  I find that my allergies are fine when I'm in the basement running.

Kristin - the heat and humidity were really awful this weekend.  When I woke up Saturday we were at 91% humidity.  Between that and the hills, it's hard to run fast.  You need to find a 10k someplace cool.  We have one nearby that I may do at the end of May. Part of it is on a perfectly flat rail trail.  Biggest question is heat.  End of May can be hellacious (as it is right now) or really nice.  I'll decide whether to do it when I see the forecast, because I'm not doing it if it's hot and humid.

Stonefence - I should do the lawn today, but probably won't.

Jerry - Have fun at the gym and running, if you decide to do that too.

Z - enjoy your run this evening.  I hope it's cool there.

Awood - it's hard to eat well when you're on the road a lot.  Even if you bring food with you, the stress makes you want more.  And it gets hard to find time to run.  I hope it gets better.

Jack - Enjoy the taper.  I hope you get some cooler weather soon.  I can't imagine trying to run a marathon in current conditions.

HM - I'm so glad your knee is feeling better.  Enjoy your walk this evening.  I usually do some yoga after short TM runs or if I do the stationary bike.  I have to be careful though -- that's how I pulled my hamstring, I think.  It is finally healed, but it took about six weeks.  I haven't done much yoga in a while as a result.

Margo - I haven't had a schedule since I started running again in December. I've just tried to do a gradual increase in mileage, with occasional faster runs.  I like running according to how my body feels, without worrying about being on plan.

AFM:  hot and humid with sprinkles, but we may take Ben to the woods for a short hike anyway since I'm not planning a run.