Beginners and Beyond

Your retirement (Read 174 times)

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

And of course, anyone who addresses me as LRB drinks for free.  Everyone else would be like, what the hell is an LRB!

Is you having a bistro a requirement? Or can this be a hard and fast rule for any time we may cross pathsBig grin?

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

YAYpril - B-Plus

I would either spend all my free time volunteering at an animal shelter, or I'd open a small bakery.

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

i love the bed and breakfast idea. there are a couple of them in my neighborhood, and one is for sale. i walk by it every night when i'm out with the dog and gaze at it longingly. ahh, if only...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I like the animal shelter idea, as I love volunteering at ours.  One thing I would do if I win the lottery big time is to open a no kill shelter.

I would either spend all my free time volunteering at an animal shelter, or I'd open a small bakery.

Damaris

YAYpril - B-Plus

I like the animal shelter idea, as I love volunteering at ours.  One thing I would do if I win the lottery big time is to open a no kill shelter.

The one I'd volunteer at is no-kill and I love them. They have a CAT ROOM. http://www.spcanorthampton.org/

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Our shelters are high kill.  Make me cry when people dump more than 300 animals on the weekend, 90% of which are killed by Wednesday. :-(

The one I'd volunteer at is no-kill and I love them. They have a CAT ROOM. http://www.spcanorthampton.org/

Damaris

Village people

i love the bed and breakfast idea. there are a couple of them in my neighborhood, and one is for sale. i walk by it every night when i'm out with the dog and gaze at it longingly. ahh, if only...

That is a beautiful Queen Anne. We almost bought a B&B in Niagara-on-the-Lake,  but it would have been just to house my brood, not operate as a B&B.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If I could change the weather here a bit so it's not so cold and windy in the winter and a little cooler in the summer, I'd have close to what you describe. I love working part time at the bookstore and the income isn't an absolute necessity to survive. I work there because I like it and the interaction with customers and other staff. It gives me a cushion to travel and race, which has resulted in some great FEs and nice vacations. Being part-time it rarely interferes with my training so it's really close to my dream retirement.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

Is you having a bistro a requirement? Or can this be a hard and fast rule for any time we may cross pathsBig grin?

Cheers!

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

We have actually already started up our retirement plan.  2 summers ago we purchased a local tax prep franchise and we are working on growing that business.  Hopefully it continues to become more successful so that we can afford to branch out to more stores.

My wife loves being the boss at our store.  So far my involvement was just the financial aspect and the occasional handyman at the store.  Someday I hope that we are in a position to afford to quit my job and live off the tax franchise.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Our shelters are high kill.  Make me cry when people dump more than 300 animals on the weekend, 90% of which are killed by Wednesday. :-(

That's terrible. Sad If I ever win the lottery I'll fund you a no-kill shelter.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My dream "career" is to have a large rescue center/ranch, hopefully if business keeps up the way it is I can have this dream by the time I am 40-50 years old. It's been my dream since I was a little girl in preschool, I'd like to start out first with cats and dogs, occasionally rabbits and other rodents, then move up to horses and other domestic animals, wild animals that were bought illegally or just bought as babies and then dumped when fully mature.  They wouldn't even need to find homes, I would be sure to have enough land and enough volunteers and help to take care of any that need to stay or can't find a home. That is my dream Cry

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

adkkev

Seasonal ranger for the NPS.  This actually is the plan.

I'd love to run a kosher Greek restaurant in Jerusalem. And a kosher Irish pub at the end of the Athens Classic course.

I'd have an orchard of Empire apples, some Riesling vines, and grow a bunch of hops on an off-the-grid system.  I'd teach young people how to catch trout on dry flies, wading in sneakers through clear little streams on warm late spring evenings.  I'd read a lot and write a little.  I'd travel without plans.