Beginners and Beyond

Early morning runners, how do you get out there? (Read 105 times)

P^2 says that I'm going to need to do lots of doubles this summer.

Over the past few days, I've cut back on caffeine, gotten to bed early, and still failed miserably at going out for an A.M. run.  I'll get up, feed the cat, lie back down for "a couple minutes", and then just stay in bed until I have to get ready for work.

My plan doesn't actually start until the end of the month, but the absolute lack of motivation in the morning is a concern.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've always been a morning person, so it's not that hard for me. I am normally up anywhere between 3 AM and 4: AM for my runs, and between 6 AM and 7 AM on days I don't run.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

I'm with you on this one. I do more morning runs in the summer when it gets light earlier, and temps are better, but I've never been a natural morning person.

Honestly, I just have to will myself to get up and out the door. The motivating part comes in how I feel when I'm done.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I've always been a morning person, so it's not that hard for me. I am normally up anywhere between 3 AM and 4: AM for my runs, and between 6 AM and 7 AM on days I don't run.

I am a morning person but I am at the office by 7am so imagine how early I would have to run to be out the door by 6:15 to work all ready for court.

I used to be a morning running when all I ran were 1-3 miles.  At my mileage, it takes too much out of my 5 hours of sleep to do so and most of the time I put the alarm I never made it out there because it's too fucking early.  Kudos to those that can run at 2-3am but I have to go to bed at around midnight (due to work and our family dynamics) so that will never be me.

Damaris

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The only thing that will get me up early for a morning run is a race. Otherwise the earliest I'll be out for a run is 9:00 am but more likely not until the afternoon.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Mondays and Thursday Easy runs I am up anywhere between 3:30 AM to 4:30 AM to either hit the road or the trails for 5-6 miles.

Wednesday MLR - I am up anywhere between 3 AM and 4 AM to hit the road or the trails for 9 miles

Friday hill runs are in the afternoon so no worries about getting up early for them.

Sunday long run - I normally get up between 3 and 4 AM to get 13+ miles in before all the church going assholes are up.

I normally go to bed anywhere between 9:30 and midnight depending on either myself (can't sleep for shit) or Dorian and sometimes if he has gas issues due to my stupid ass giving him something that didn't agree with his stomach, I might only get an hour or 2 of sleep.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

happylily

The only thing that will get me up early for a morning run is a race. Otherwise the earliest I'll be out for a run is 9:00 am but more likely not until the afternoon.

That's me exactly. I often go to bed at midnight, and I need a minimum of 6 to 7 hours of sleep to run well. So 3 or 4 a.m. is the middle of the night for me. And I start work at 7:30 a.m.

I have however no problem running at lunch time and then again in the evening, after work. Well, physically, I have no problem. Mentally, it sucks. I'm not crazy about doubles. they make running feel like a chore to me.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

I don't like it but in the summer, if I'm going to do doubles, one of them absolutely has to be in the morning.  So I just force myself to do it.  The first couple of weeks, it sucks.  After that, well, it still sucks but I get used to it sucking.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

This is me now but for a billion years I didn't get up until I absolutely had to, and even then I was behind!

Then a strange thing happened; I realized I was out of shape and wanted to get fit, the problem with that was it was during my kids middle school years which are some of the most hectic a parent has to deal with.  Couple that with what was also a busy point for my career and the only way I could guarantee that I could get my workout in was to do it in the morning before my crazy day started.  Now it's 15 years later and I still wake the birds up!

So I guess it comes down to if you really want to do it, or have to do it, you will make the adjustment.  There are other benefits such as running on an empty stomach and getting your caloric furnace blasting first thing as incentives blah, blah, blah.

Regarding getting to sleep and wanting to wake up early, if you do it long enough your body will eventually balance itself...or maybe it won't and it will just suck for the duration.  I honestly cannot remember when I became comfortable with the switch from late to bed, late to rise to early to bed, early to rise.  I guess it just became a lifestyle change.

I do find it sort of odd though that I never went back to staying up late as Jay Leno's nightly monologue and Monday "Headlines" were must see TV in my house.

delicate flower

I am mostly a late afternoon runner, but I've done my share of morning runs.  It's just built into my DNA that I can roll out of bed and get going.  I think it helped that I was conditioned at a young age, as I had three paper routes as a kid and routinely got up before 5:00 AM to deliver the newspapers.  I've just never had a problem getting out of bed to do whatever I had to get done.

<3

B-Plus

I set my alarm for 4:30 am today but decided to just lay in bed. It's like that pretty much everytime i have a double planned. Sometimes I don't even go back to sleep, I just lay in bed awake until it's really time to get up for work. lmk if you find out the secret.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Roll out of bed, walk to put running gear on in the next room.

Start

The goal is to be running before my body really knows its woken up

Even then some days (rough night with the little one or similar) I just reset the alarm.

On the plus side for a vacation back to the UK, no jetlag. Wake up at a leisurely 8:30 there and my body is on the exact same schedule.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It's also nice to get out there before the rest of the world is waking up, especially the assholes. It's extremely nice to have the trails all to myself with Rocky, as I don't keep him on a leash when running trails. My incentives to getting up EARLY:

1. Nobody else is out
                            2. Nobody else on the trails
                            3. Getting it done and out of the way
                            4. Running on an empty stomach
                            5. It starts my day off pretty good..... though having a run to look forward to at the end of the day is nice too Smile

This is me now but for a billion years I didn't get up until I absolutely had to, and even then I was behind!

Then a strange thing happened; I realized I was out of shape and wanted to get fit, the problem with that was it was during my kids middle school years which are some of the most hectic a parent has to deal with.  Couple that with what was also a busy point for my career and the only way I could guarantee that I could get my workout in was to do it in the morning before my crazy day started.  Now it's 15 years later and I still wake the birds up!

So I guess it comes down to if you really want to do it, or have to do it, you will make the adjustment.  There are other benefits such as running on an empty stomach and getting your caloric furnace blasting first thing as incentives blah, blah, blah.

Regarding getting to sleep and wanting to wake up early, if you do it long enough your body will eventually balance itself...or maybe it won't and it will just suck for the duration.  I honestly cannot remember when I became comfortable with the switch from late to bed, late to rise to early to bed, early to rise.  I guess it just became a lifestyle change.

I do find it sort of odd though that I never went back to staying up late as Jay Leno's nightly monologue and Monday "Headlines" were must see TV in my house.

PRs

bluerun

Super B****

Insomnia helps.  Since you can't sleep anyway, may as well run!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Usually, the drunks and partiers are still leaving South Beach between 3-6am so it is not necessarily the safest hour down here either, as people tend to drive more erratically at that hour.

Also, my weather is better in the afternoon/evening.  It is still hot and humid in the mornings (we never cool down) but the humidity is sometimes too high to make me comfortable.  I tend to be a better runner (and more consistent) when I run in the afternoons.  Now please take away the sun from me after 7pm, please.

Damaris