Beginners and Beyond

Metanoia Monday Penguins (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Metanoia - conversion.  Usually spiritual in nature, but can be otherwise.

My conversion is that this week starts the week I shall now change from after work runner to  a morning runner for the season - through Mid- September - as our temps will now be like this - with a few 100+ degree days along the way too - until nearly October.

Two races done over the weekend.  Report and photos for both are here:   http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/f3f8c01e6f434a8383aee1accd1fdbc1/resume#focus

Rest day today. Good day in San Antonio to take a rest day as we are supposed to get major thunderstorms throughout the day and really bad after 4 pm.  We shall see if our weather forecasters are correct for a change and they develop.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  the everglades are on fire and that has the whole of Miami and Broward covered in smoke.  8 miles but they will have to be on the TM because I cannot breathe already and did I mention the whole city is covered in smoke?

Damaris

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  Today we are taking some 450 kids to the coast as part of our all-school field trip.  Wish me luck!  I have 6 miles scheduled for this evening.

I posted in the regular dailies yesterday- we had a scary weekend and our dog needed to be rescued from a cliff at the beach!  We're all fine now, thankfully, but that was really terrifying.

Scotty- Good luck with your metanoia.  I ran in the mornings over the weekend and it was nice.

D- Hope the smoke gets blown off the other direction quickly!

obiebyke

Good morning, dearies! I'll do my 30 minutes after work. I'm sore from 3.5 hours gardening yesterday, so it'll be good to loosen up.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  I'm heading out on Saturday for a conference in Baltimore, so the focus this week is on getting everything done before I leave!  Yeah, we'll see how that works out.  Possibly trying W1D1 (again) tonight!

scotty -- good luck with your morning switchover!!

Docket -- sorry to hear about your smoky city!!

Zelanie -- wow, good luck with the kids!!

obie -- enjoy your 30 minutes!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

7 miles and 30 push-ups done. I am trying to work on that core.

Brilliant: Important question: How is the pie?

Have a good day everyone.

From the Internet.

Morning pens! SRD after yesterday's race - I am at home cleaning because I got a surprise notification that the gas company is coming to inspect stoves/any other gas appliances at some unknown time either today or tomorrow. Gave the landlord permission to enter with them if I'm not home, but my house is a disaster so I need to remedy that before either landlord or servicepeople come in! D:

LRB

Actually didn't get around to making the pie today, but the blueberries are bought so it will be tomorrow.

Hey B, I have been waiting to hear how this turned out?  Blueberry pie is actually my favorite right behind lemon meringue pie.  Unfortunately I have not had any since God got the news to Moses. 

What's up to the rest of the peeps.  Whoop!  Whoop!

on my way to badass

Hey penguins! Got 4 done. Had to dodge snapping turtles that are crossing the road today. Feel like I got my mojo back.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Brilliant

Jack & LRB - wow, I didn't know you were both living vicariously through my pie. Smile  I didn't get around to baking it until this morning...so my plan for the day is to have a light lunch (salad?) and then mid-afternoon pie & ice cream.  Swoon.

Damaris - sorry about the smoke; we get that here sometimes.  Sad

Scotty - stay cool

Zelanie - te deseo mucho suerte!  (since you are headed to Central America this summer, I am assuming that you speak Spanish, and I learned this handy phrase from a podcast on my run yesterday!)

Okiebyke - have a nice run later

Hopesmom - is W1D1 from C25K?

Lauren - good idea to clean up pretty well before the landlord sends anyone over, just to be sure & stay on their good side!

As for me - easy 4 miles this morning.  Yesterday I had a very unusual 8 miles.  First time a dog ever actually jumped on me (versus loping along beside me, or barking).  I was freaked out - he was large (Boxer?) but just being friendly (paws on my chest!).  Then a homeless person was washing up at "my" water fountain.  I wished her a good morning but decided not to ask if I could break in for a quick drink; there was another fountain 1/4 mile down the path.  Strange morning!

LRB

Jack & LRB - wow, I didn't know you were both living vicariously through my pie.

Yes, I lurk sometimes too. 

And strange morning indeed!  lol

Brilliant

I posted in the regular dailies yesterday- we had a scary weekend and our dog needed to be rescued from a cliff at the beach!  We're all fine now, thankfully, but that was really terrifying.

Oh, no!  Your morning yesterday was way more adventuresome than mine!  I just read about it on yesterday's thread.  So glad Mia is safe.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Maybe all that smoke, Damaris, is from all the Miami drug dealers burning their coke before a giant raid happens....

Good luck with the field trip, Zelanie.  Dang, did Mia almost fall off a cliff?  Sounds like you had a very scary weekend!  Glad she is okay now.  And hope the next thing you don't get in the mail is a bill for the rescue services, that can get expensive!

Log that gardening, obibyke, that counts as x-training!

Are you going to find a race in Baltimore to do, HsM?  Don't know if you've been to Baltimore or not but..it's very hilly!

Good luck with the core work, Jack.  I need to start doing that too.

That dog has good taste, Brilliant!    Since he was a boxer, maybe he wanted to go a few rounds with you.       Congrats on your 8 miles.

Good luck with the inspection, Lauren.

Dodge snapping turtles...ok, Stonefence, that makes for a funny mental picture, lol.    Glad they didn't whack you with their sticks....

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Today was yet another running rest day for me.  I did manage 10 minutes on the elliptical and 25 minutes on the stationary bike today (with my snazzy new ankle brace).  Now I'm off to renew my license (sorta dropped the ball on that one) because it expires in 11 days - I think to travel around the city by mass transit I still need my CAM walker boot.  Tomorrow I might press for a full hour of cardio - I just ran out of time today :-)  No pool for me because of the rainy weather.  I'm thinking that I'll start running intervals with DH on Saturday.  The swelling in my ankle is gone, I'm off all advil, and there's still some discomfort and bruising but it is bearable.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)