Beginners and Beyond

Why do ligaments take so long to heal? (Read 109 times)

Somewhat of a rhetorical question, I know.  I did damage it pretty badly and even though it's been six weeks I feel that there has been very little progress.  There has been progress but not a whole lot.  Starting to feel like I'll never run again.  Can't even pool run yet.  Just frustrated and venting a little.  If you've ever had a really bad sprain you know how I feel.

I may be slow but I never quit.

happylily

Somewhat of a rhetorical question, I know.  I did damage it pretty badly and even though it's been six weeks I feel that there has been very little progress.  There has been progress but not a whole lot.  Starting to feel like I'll never run again.  Can't even pool run yet.  Just frustrated and venting a little.  If you've ever had a really bad sprain you know how I feel.

I'm sure it must be very frustrating for you. Hang in there, Eats. How did it happen?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

It's probably due to low blood flow. Maybe try "spot" icing then heat, then repeat after 20 minutes. The blood flows to the cold area bringing nutrients.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

cmb4314

I'm right there with you.  Sitting here in an aircast since I was talented enough to end up with a regular ankle sprain, high ankle sprain that required surgery, and a broken bone.  Interestingly, the broken bone is the least of my concerns since ligaments are such a pain in the butt.

It's been 3 weeks since the injury, and I feel like I'm just sitting here, watching my calf and foot muscles deteriorate.  I have another 3.5 weeks before I can start physical therapy, and another 3 weeks after that before the ligaments are ready for full weight bearing.

Stupid ligaments.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I torn a ligament in my foot when I was in college (I twisted it just like you did).  Because I had to walk to class every day, it took a year to heal.  Most of the time I was in pain and limping.  I know you've taken care of it more than I did then, so I'm sure it will recovery quicker than me, but mine took a long time.  Actually, the ligament still hurts from time to time; mostly because of the dead tissue there.

Damaris

notimeforthat

It's probably due to low blood flow. Maybe try "spot" icing then heat, then repeat after 20 minutes. The blood flows to the cold area bringing nutrients.

Ding ding ding!

If you see a PT you can do e-stim therapy that will speed up healing time as well. We have one here at the house (Globus) and it is worth its weight in gold.

an amazing likeness

Ligaments, technically, do not heal. Other structures adjust to deal with the weakened ligament.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

notimeforthat

In some cases, yes, however they are capable of healing. Whether or not that healing is a complete one that allows for full use of a joint is still up for debate.

As to the e-stim thingy...I meant to say tendon. It helped me greatly when dealing with PF and achilles tendonitis.

http://mrl.sci.utah.edu/research/ligament-injury-healing

Was running, stepped off a high curb and my foot landed on a large rock and rocks roll.  My foot/ankle stretched unnaturally far but I was in shock at the time and the adrenaline was pumping so I continued to run for another two miles.  As soon as I got home, not 10 minutes later, I knew it was bad.

I'm sure it must be very frustrating for you. Hang in there, Eats. How did it happen?

I may be slow but I never quit.

Zelanie

I'm so sorry you're going through this!  I hope that you are able to see more progress soon.

bobruns

I know how you feel.  I pulled a tendon 6 miles into a HM in April.  I was so excited it wasn't a fracture.  Everyone here (or at RW) advised me that I would change my mind about that and I did.  A fracture would have been better.  When I had a stress fracture I was able to start running, slowly, in 8 weeks.  My pulled tendon...twice as long.  On the bright side.  It did get better and I am training for a HM in June.  Hang in there.