Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #35 AKA Tuesdailies (Read 31 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Are you running with Olympians or something? You are wicked fast. I can't imagine a lot of ordinary people being faster than you.

Ha! They're ordinary people, but I don't see the point in doing long runs faster than feels comfortable unless I'm purposely making a workout out of it, and trying to keep up with people has that effect sometimes. Just because I can keep up with them doesn't mean I want to, or should.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

bluerun

Super B****

That would be a big nope for me. IDK why people think they need to start weekend runs at 6 AM. Bad enough mine is at 7, and 25 min away.

When I was running with the Friday AM group (6 AM incidentally), I would sometimes end up alone but it was only 6 miles, so NBD, and the same loop around the lake every time so no getting lost. It was sometimes tough because I had to run a couple miles to get there, so I was already warmed up. So either I’d have to slow down to run with people who will eventually end up at my pace, or run with people who will eventually drop me. Sometimes I’d end up running with one group, then alone, then another group. Anyway for my Saturday group run now, I make sure to find people at the start who plan the same pace & distance, and it’s worked out pretty well so far. I don’t always finish with all the exact same people I started with, but I’m generally not alone. Especially important since it’s a different route every week and I’d likely get lost otherwise.

I'm leaning that way. I was thinking of driving somewhere for my long run anyway because the same old gets kind of ... old, but IDK where I'd go. Of course, I could always pay $60 for a 7.1M Run to the Brewery instead

chasing the impossible

onemile

Are you running with Olympians or something? You are wicked fast. I can't imagine a lot of ordinary people being faster than you.

I met up with URP for a run a couple months ago and we ran into another group of 4 runners who were starting from the same park at the same time. 2 of them are people I know (one is handheld water bottle guy whose marathon PR is 3:22 and has been trying to run sub-3:20 forever but can't.  and the other woman hasn't run faster than a 3:30 marathon in the past 5 years (and around a 1:40hm)).  URP decided we should join them on their route to the lakefront.  That lasted around 1 minute because they took off and I couldn't keep up.  (I think they ended up running around an 8 minute pace).  lol

onemile

Ha! They're ordinary people, but I don't see the point in doing long runs faster than feels comfortable unless I'm purposely making a workout out of it, and trying to keep up with people has that effect sometimes. Just because I can keep up with them doesn't mean I want to, or should.

I bet your race times are faster than theirs

bluerun

Super B****

I bet your race times are faster than theirs

Some of them, yes... but those people are likely not going as far as I want to. And the people who are faster than me (for real) are going farther. Maybe I should just stay home

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

On an unrelated note, my Garmin has dropped from 87% this morning to 71% currently, and I haven't even used it today (beyond the usual wearing it). WTF??

chasing the impossible

RunningOnSand

I met up with URP for a run a couple months ago and we ran into another group of 4 runners who were starting from the same park at the same time. 2 of them are people I know (one is handheld water bottle guy whose marathon PR is 3:22 and has been trying to run sub-3:20 forever but can't.  and the other woman hasn't run faster than a 3:30 marathon in the past 5 years (and around a 1:40hm)).  URP decided we should join them on their route to the lakefront.  That lasted around 1 minute because they took off and I couldn't keep up.  (I think they ended up running around an 8 minute pace).  lol

Maybe that's why they can't get past their barriers...they're running their LRs too fast.

I don't suffer from that syndrome, lol. I enjoy taking my LRs easy Big grin

onemile

Some of them, yes... but those people are likely not going as far as I want to. And the people who are faster than me (for real) are going farther. Maybe I should just stay home

how far are you planning to run? That partly determines if it's worth it for me.

RunningOnSand

On an unrelated note, my Garmin has dropped from 87% this morning to 71% currently, and I haven't even used it today (beyond the usual wearing it). WTF??

That's happened to me, too, but usually it happens on runs when it's super cold outside. THen it'll pop back up in percentage after it warms up. I can't imagine you're just hanging around outside, though, so that's weird it's just randomly doing it.

bluerun

Super B****

how far are you planning to run? That partly determines if it's worth it for me.

16-18

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

That's happened to me, too, but usually it happens on runs when it's super cold outside. THen it'll pop back up in percentage after it warms up. I can't imagine you're just hanging around outside, though, so that's weird it's just randomly doing it.

Right, but I haven't been outside, and it's not that cold anyway. There must be some kind of life-draining force around me because my phone lost nearly 50% power from when I left my house to when I got to work, and I didn't use it, either.

chasing the impossible

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes! Florida is a tax friendly state. Only higher expenses we had there was homeowners insurance and car registration. And property tax % was higher, but housing cost was lower.

Housing costs might be lower than California but at least in South FL they are through the roof. A one bedroom apartment for rent can be around $2500-4000 depending on the area. The new houses right by my townhouse are over a million. But Central and North FL, redneck FL, is cheaper.

Dave, the sales tax in FL is 6% but there are also county taxes. Still, highest of those is Miami-Dade and it's just 7% total. But insurance is through the roof. My maintenance was $620 a month at my old townhouse because it covered that.

Damaris

onemile

DavePNW

Probably worth it

I’d agree other than how early it is. I feel like I could do anything in the 8:00-9:00 range if I had to, although would not be too happy with the extremes. 

I’ve always run everything solo, but I am getting into the group thing for LRs. Maybe it will spoil me and I’ll never want to do them alone again? I’ll still need to figure out how to run with the group when I’m doing LR/MPs. But may be able to find others wanting to do the same thing. There’s also the option of doing the warmup miles early, then finding a group for the MP portion. But not excited about doing 8 miles before a 7AM start.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My group starts at 8am and I have not joined them yet. Waiting for the time it's necessary to start that early. My groups in Miami start at 4-5am so I'm trying to sleep in for the next decade, lol.

Damaris