Beginners and Beyond

Runner resumes (Read 131 times)

LRB

I completely forgot about my piriformis battles. 

I had it in both asses. 

All of my injuries save the runners knee and shin splints (which were a result of running in Nike Shox the first three months I ran) can be traced to a lack of hip and core strength and flexibility.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Mine is pretty pathetic compared to everyone else's but here it goes:

Was "allergic" to running as a child =P  Did swimming/biking and was always active though.

Started with couch to 5k in May 2013.

Ran a 10k in Oct 2013 in 1:05:19

Ran a HM in Dec 2013 in 2:20:40

Had massive "hip" pain in Jan 2014 - turned out it was a herniated disk (result of falling down an entire flight of subway stairs a year prior) in my spine pinching on my nerve.  Took a little bit off of running, but got back to it.  Ran HM in April (2:33) and May (2:27 - could have done better but had a wedding the next day).  On May 28th sprained my ankle in a big way on a run.  Was stuck in a cam walker boot for over a month, switched to a lace-up brace for another month.  I took two full months off of running.  I was optimistic when I first sprained my ankle and signed up for a couple of long NYRR races - which I'm now hobbling my way through.  Currently in the process of rehabbing my ankle to full strength.  Ran a 10M race last weekend in 2:06:22.

At this point I'm grateful to run at all.  I have another HM next weekend - which I am certain will be a PW.

Currently trying to qualify for the 2015 NYCM through the NYRR 9+1 program.  I only have to run two more races.  The SIHM next weekend will get me into the NYC1/2 for next year.  Ideally I'll be fully recovered by the NYC Half on March 15th.  That's my current goal.  The 2015 NYCM will be my first FM assuming I can stay healthy enough to run it.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Cyberic

Oski : LOL

FS : Quite a jump from 2:18 in April to 1:56 in half a year’s time.

wcrunner : 76,500 miles.

DR : Didn’t know your asthma was rather recent.

Robert : 70 lbs lost, injury free running. Excellent stuff.

Jack : Looks similar to what I’m aiming at. Not the injury, of course. The BQ on my first attempt (sub 3:25) and a sub 20 5k in the next year or so.

Zel : Impressive progression. You are living proof that it can be done.

D2 : 2 years and a half of running and are looking at a sub 3!!! Impressive and inspiring.

sapf : I see nothing pathetic in your story. You hang in there and keep running after injuries.

Love the thread Big grin

happylily

You already know my background, Eric. But it's such a great idea for a thread! I know well most of the runners in this forum, but I love re-reading their stories. All extraordinary people. I realize I'm not so much in love with running as I am in love with runners (and competition).

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

I started running in the fall of 2012 (age 24) because I wanted a low-maintenance way to stay in shape (formerly played basketball and volleyball). I've had two injuries since then. The first wasn't running related, but it required surgery and I was out from April-November, 2013. The second was running related and I was out from April-September of this year.

I've done four HMs, 3 5ks, and 1 10 miler, but I haven't been able to string enough months together to get in a good base *and* train. I'm hoping to change that for my spring HM. So far, 5ks and 10 milers are my favorite distances for opposite reasons. 5ks are short enough that I can try to run fast (and I think I have good potential) and 10  milers are long enough that I don't have to run fast *and* it's generally the shortest distance that gives out medals Big grin

Assuming running goes well for me, my goals for next year are to 1) run 30ish miles per week, 2) get my 5k time to the low 20s, and 3) get my HM time below 2 hours.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

DavePNW

FIFY.

You're not going to post the scrape. definitions, are you?

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Well, let's see.

Started running sometime in the winter of 2010/2011... didn't take note of the date since I'd never liked running, thought I still wouldn't, and that I'd give it up after a few tries.  Then somehow I made a bucket list and "complete a race" found its way on there.  I ran a small local charity 5K in April 2011, where I finished second in my AG.  I fell in love with racing before I loved running.

September 2011, I "ran" my first half marathon in 3:59:18, aided by five pelvic/sacral stress fractures.  I took off three months to let those heal, then started from scratch with C25K because it was about as conservative as I could get.  Didn't do a whole lot of good, since in April of 2012, I got another pelvic stress fracture.

Then I found my soul mate -- the AlterG.  It helped me come back faster than I would have otherwise, and in June I finished a race (slowly, but I did it).  I had also decided that obviously my bones didn't like the pounding of running, and since I didn't have my own AlterG at the time, I spent more time than I'd like cycling.

That was a bad idea, because a few days after the aforementioned race, I crashed -- not my fault, many cyclists around here are Spandexed Assholes -- and fractured my pelvis and hip.

In case you're keeping track, that was nine fractures in a nine-month time span.  So thus began a few unpleasant months in which I gained 25 pounds -- voluntarily, albeit very grudgingly -- in the hopes of preserving my poor bones.  Luckily, I was still young enough to reserve some of the damage, but a doctor did warn me that I'd probably never run a marathon.  Which, obviously, immediately instilled in me a burning desire to do so, even though I'd had no interest in it before.

I suppose those fractures did heal relatively quickly: I finished a sprint tri at the end of August, just to prove to myself that I COULD still ride, and my bike has been parked on a trainer since then.  I'm not willing to risk being hurt because of stupid assholes when I'm doing something I don't even really love to do!  That tri, coincidentally, was the first race in a streak that's still going: finish at least one race a month.

I am delighted to report that I have not had a fracture since June 2012.  I have, however, had almost every injury under the sun since then... in March of 2013, I ran my second half marathon, and I PRed by over two hours (not that difficult when the first one was basically a death march).  I also had the world's longest taper beforehand, thanks to a nasty case of peroneal tendinitis.  Apparently, I get ITBS every late summer/early fall, because this is the third year in a row that it's happened.  This year has been especially sucky on the injury front -- I was fine for the first five days of 2014, then I ran outside on an icy day and must have stepped weirdly, because I ended up with some bizarre peroneal injury that hung around for seven months.  Literally two days after that finally healed, I got runner's knee out of nowhere, which has recently been joined with this year's ITBS.

But I did run a marathon in August -- take THAT, doctor!  On the injured knee that screwed up my last five weeks of training.  Which is why I missed beating my goal time (faster than my first half marathon)... by a minute and a half.  ARGH.

All of this actually makes me rather grumpy, because no matter what I do, I get hurt.  I can do everything "right," or I can do everything "wrong"... same result.  And how the hell am I ever supposed to get any faster if I'm always injured?!

Honestly, sometimes I wish I'd never started running, because then I wouldn't know what I was missing.  Now that I do know, I can't stop.  Even though I think most sane people would have given up at this point.  (Obviously, I'm not one of those sane people.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

That is quite the story bluerun!

I can relate to your line about loving racing before running, that is exactly how it happened for me.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

In that case, I definitely don't run.

Running is dumb.

From the Internet.

I love reading everyone's stories - I've known bits and pieces about most of you but not the whole thing altogether! We have some pretty amazingly tough and resilient people here Smile

I started walk/jogging sporadically in late February 2012 just because I was tired of being bored and tired all the time. Horseback riding (eventing and then hunters/equitation) was my sport of choice all through middle school, high school and college, but I entered grad school and had my daughter in 2008 and time/money were no longer available. I've never actually been overweight but I knew I was very out of shape and just felt squishy, for lack of a better word, and wanted to change that.

In July 2012, after stumbling onto this thing called the internet :P I finally figured out that I'd been going about running all wrong - my method was to run until my lungs burned and then walk until I caught my breath, repeat until I hated it too much to keep going. I learned about "conversational pace" and cadence and all that good stuff, and while running was still hard, I could finally run 1-2 miles at a time without stopping to catch my breath. I signed up for my first 5K race and replaced my old shoes and that was that - I was hooked!

October 2012 I had my first encounter with my evil stalker, shin splints, which I only ever get in my left leg and which still flare up from time to time. I had stupidly increased both pace and mileage after my first 5K, thinking that at that point I'd been running for a few months so of course I was invincible now. I took a week off and stubbornly plowed through until December, setting a 5K PR in the process, before I finally gave in and saw a doctor. He ruled out a stress fracture by MRI and referred me to physical therapy.

While I was sidelined with shin splints, I reconnected with a college friend who had been a runner for many years and she recruited me to the club that I'm currently a member of. I spent spring 2013 building back up to running while being very cautious with the shin and doing coached pool running workouts with a few other injured club members. My coach encouraged me to come to the scheduled track workouts to do my walk/run intervals in a social atmosphere. Coming back from an injury surrounded by a group of people who understand what I was going through made it suck a whole lot less!

Summer and early fall 2013 were a whole lot of trial and error, testing my boundaries. I started to run track workouts with the club, but at a slower pace than my fitness would allow to keep my legs happy, and had a string of minor aches and pains that kept me from running more than 3ish days/week. In October I finally decided to give in, stop trying to do workouts my legs weren't ready for, and try building a base with easy miles (rocket science, huh?), with the goal of running 5-6 days/week, even if some of those days were only a half mile on the treadmill at first.

I finally came back to the track at the end of May with a base in the mid-20s (not spectacular by any means, but enough that I could have fun racing this fall without getting hurt!) and have had much more success since then. I'm shooting for mid-23s at a 5K on Sunday, am running my first 10K next week, then back to base building over the winter. Next year I intend to run a half marathon or two in the spring, possibly my first full marathon in the fall, and a few shorter races in between/during training as tune-ups. Goals TBD after the whole winter base-building thing!

Wow, sorry, that's a lot of text D: I spent all this time writing it out so I'm just going to post it!

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Mods, please change the thread title to "Hobby Jogger resumes"

Thank you,

FSocks

You people have issues 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Oski : LOL

FS : Quite a jump from 2:18 in April to 1:56 in half a year’s time.

wcrunner : 76,500 miles.

DR : Didn’t know your asthma was rather recent.

Robert : 70 lbs lost, injury free running. Excellent stuff.

Jack : Looks similar to what I’m aiming at. Not the injury, of course. The BQ on my first attempt (sub 3:25) and a sub 20 5k in the next year or so.

Zel : Impressive progression. You are living proof that it can be done.

D2 : 2 years and a half of running and are looking at a sub 3!!! Impressive and inspiring.

sapf : I see nothing pathetic in your story. You hang in there and keep running after injuries.

Love the thread Big grin

Yes, it took some humbling, childbirth and a couple halves to get there. Now let's see how long it takes me to figure out this whole marathon bizzness 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Ric-G

Running history is in two parts:

1. Never ran at all in high school, college, etc. Was offered free entry to LA Marathon back in 1999 and decided to do it. No clue about training and did not really care. Looking back I averaged 20-25 miles per week in training. Just wanted to finish and be done. Finished in just under 5 hours, hooray. Followed that pattern for about 10 years. Had no clue what PR or BQ meant for all those years. I just ran and was ok with that.

2. Decided in 2009 to see if I could do any better. Started picking up pointers online and using/modifying the well known training plans. Ran first sub 4 shortly thereafter. Ran NYC marathon and thought it was great. Later knew I was close to bq and got my first one. Ran Boston and bq'd there as well. Injuries - yes, just about everything imaginable. No headphones for me. I would say learning from folks online has provided me with some of the best insights into running/training and has made a difference for me. It is interesting reading all these accounts and just shows there is no "right" way to do this.

marathon pr - 3:16

Love the Half

Hi all,

Being pretty new to the group, I don't know your running histories. Age at which you started running, running milestones achieved at what age/after how many years of running, injuries (nature, for how long), etc. Since I spend lots of time reading your posts, knowing more about you would add some depth to your avatars and pseudos.

Start - March, 2008.  Weight 230.  Cigarettes about 40 per day.  Age 45.

Milestones - 5 miles in under 40 minutes, October, 2008.  Sub 20:00 5K, October, 2009.  First marathon, November, 2010.  50 miles on 50th birthday, October, 2012.  5K at a 5:59 pace, June, 2013.  2:59:42 marathon, November, 2013.

Injuries - Two serious.  One Achilles injury and one stress fracture.  Out 6 weeks for the Achilles injury and 8 for the stress fracture.

Important Numbers Today -

Weight - 155

Total Cholesterol - 138

Resting Heart Rate - 55 (down from 85)

Triglycerides - 37 (down from 140)

HDL (good cholesterol) - 58 (up from 21)

LDL (bad cholesterol) - 95 (down from 140)

Total miles run - Over 14,000

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).