Beginners and Beyond

Manic Monday Penguins (Read 14 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

After a week of laziness, it is truly time to get myself running again.  I still have this silly cold, but it seems to be getting better and my sinuses aren't quite as pissed off.  I think I'll ease into running with my 4 mile loop at an easy pace today. I signed up for two races yesterday - a 15k in December and a half marathon in January.  Ideally I'd like to train hard for the half in January and PR, but running around the holidays can be a little tricky.  I hunted down the Ryan Hall 10 week plan.  It seems a little light on the mileage compared to full on marathon training, but definitely doable.  It'll also be my first real time trying to do speedwork, so it is probably better that the mileage is a little low.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

Morning!

I am resting today - DH is away all week so I can't run early mornings, so this week was timed really well to be a recovery week for me. Still planning on getting out for some recovery miles tomorrow to check in with my legs, but if I don't get close to my usual mileage this week due to both recovering legs and time constraints I won't be too upset about it.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I was also lazy and didn't run last week.  You heard that right.  Except two short runs with hubby, I didn't run at all.  6 miles for tonight.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Poor PAD is a bit lost this morning.

Damaris

PADRunner

Poor PAD is a bit lost this morning.

Guess I need the RD today! & glasses!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  It was a warm and rainy Saturday, so I got all my laundry and bread-baking done.  Sunday was cooler, but sunny, so I got out for a bike ride (managed not to run down either DH and Dusty or the neighbor, woo-hoo!!) and a walk with the aforementioned DH and Dusty.  My father, who was an abysmal failure at teaching me to ride a bike as a kid, called to congratulate my on my two-wheeling.  "So, you finally figured out the physics of it, huh?"  Yeah, Dad, that's clearly what was holding me back for 35 years.  And yes, explaining the physics was how he tried to teach me in the first place.  

sapf -- glad you're feeling better, and woo-hoo for getting back into it!!

Lauren -- Enjoy your RD!!

Docket -- You were lazy???  Is the world coming to an end??  Enjoy your 6!!

PAD -- welcome to the igloo!!  Have a good RD!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Jill- which HM are you running in January?  Are you heading south?

Lauren- yes, you definitely want to take it easy for a few days or even weeks.

D - I hope you've gotten your mojo back.  You earned a rest period, but Vegas is coming.

PAD - enjoy your rest day.

Scotty - you also earned a good rest day.

HM - does your husband have a bike too?  Can you ride together?

I'll do 4-6 later this afternoon.  First we get to prep the laundry room for painting.

Singer who runs a smidge

We can bike together, and that's the typical plan.  It's just that Dusty was insistent about going for a walk!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Philliefan33

Hi everyone. 4.3 miles with some hills this morning. I can feel my fitness coming back little by little.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jill- which HM are you running in January?  Are you heading south?

Nope - the manhattan half.  I like running in the cold, so I think it'll be okay as long as there isn't too much snow and ice on the ground :-)  I generally refuse to travel for races - I figure I race often enough and that there are enough races around here that I save money by staying put.  If I happen to be going somewhere for vacation and there's a race there that might be a different story.

Brilliant

Hello Penguins!

I have been sick again (or still?) the last few days.  I ended a lousy running week last week with fewer than 15 miles.    I think I'm finally getting better so I ran some easy miles this morning.

Just a quick hello because I'm getting ready to head to Bakersfield and Fresno for the next few days.  (oh, the excitement that is my life)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.8 for us.  More LR weather, but can't do that every day.  Trying to get some locals to sign up for Mileage 2016.

sapf, glad you are better.  How was the Gala with DH?

Rest up Lauren and PAD.

Have a good 6 tonight DR.  Outside?

Glad you got the Physics figured out, HsM.

Have fun painting, Ginny.

Glad you are getting the fitness back, PF.

Safe travels, Bri.