Beginners and Beyond

Yea, it's Monday Already Penguins (Read 26 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Life (and running) is not all about time but about our experiences along the way."

--Jen Rhines

PADRunner

Morning Penguins, running RD for me but heading to the gym early for a spin class at 7 and a HIIT class at 9.

tracilynn

Pad, wow you are killing it at the gym today on your "rest" day!

It is Fall Break this week which means my kindergartner will not be in school so I have all 3 kiddos  this means all my runs will have to be at the gym on the treadmill 

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

I realized last night after my 6 mile LR that I was not sore or tight or in pain.  I'm hoping that I am FINALLY over my injuries. In my 2.5 years of running I have never been able to "train" longer than 2 months without getting injured.

I quit running (for good ha) back in march. I ran little stuff in march and April only as a warmup at the gym to do other stuff. I started back real running in May and its oct. THAT IS 4.5 months-ish.

Hopefully I didn't jinx myself but this is huge for me and I'm so happy

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning. Rest day for me.

Traci, great news!

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning PAD, Traci, and Docket.

Hope those injuries are behind you for good, Traci.

Are you ready for Sunday, D?

Gym for me this afternoon.

Have a great week.

Brilliant

Good morning, Penguins!

YAY for you, Traci!  What a great injury-free streak.  I hope your body has finally adjusted to what you want it to do!

Pad and Jerry, enjoy your visits to the gym.  (what's a HIT class?)

Damaris, have a good rest day.

I'm headed out for an easy 5 miles.

Zelanie

Traci, that's great news!

I am sore, but not terribly so.  I made it down the stairs forwards without even thinking twice, realized I had left my phone charger upstairs, and made it back up and down again with no real issues.  So I think I'm going to be OK. Smile  Tomorrow will probably be more sore, but I should be able to handle it.

I am thinking that means that, regardless of anything else, at least it seems like my legs were prepared to run the distance, which is why they're relatively OK today.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hiya, Penguins!!  It's a funky morning here, it was 41 degrees when DH and Dusty and I got out for our walk.  I'm NOT ready for winter yet, although I am definitely ready for all the bugs and spiders to get killed off!  We had a monster in the garage the other day, I'm talking a spider the size of my palm.  EEK!!  Anyway, after our walk DH and I both happened to be upstairs, and Dusty counter-surfed and gobbled up two scones and half a loaf of garlic bread.  Guess he wanted to refuel!!  Oh, and I made the most amazing magarita shrimp pasta for dinner last night, woo-hoo!!

PAD -- back to back classes??  Sounds tiring!!

traci -- ick, TM!!  But fun for the kids!!  And I hope you're over the injury hump!!

Docket -- have a good RD!!

Jerryb -- enjoy the gym!!

Brilliant -- have a good easy 5!!

Zelanie -- glad you're not too sore, and I'm glad you can breathe again!!  Woo-hoo on your race!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Zel: Congrats on your race and I'm glad you can make it up and down the stairs. Tomorrow may be a different story...

Traci: Congrats on the nice running. Fingers crossed. Smile

PAD: Enjoy the gym.

D: It sounds like you had a fun weekend. Those Disney races seem crazy crowded.

Jerry: Any snow yet?

Brilliant: Have a nice five.

As for me, no running today but I am going for a massage. That should be good. I have also been stretching and rolling my pirformis with a lacrosse ball. That is behaving itself but the Achilles on the other side is a different story.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Congrats Zel :-)

Running to go do yoga with a friend.  (2.5 miles easy)  Ate waaaaaay too much at the wedding I attended yesterday so I'm glad that I at least ran beforehand.

I'm realizing that using runkeeper on my phone isn't necessarily the most accurate, but at my level of ability I'm not sure that I "deserve" a garmin watch (if that makes sense).  Also, I think that garmin watches would likewise have problems in my area (lots of skyscrapers here).  Does anyone have experience with using a garmin watch in NYC?  Is it significantly more accurate than using the iPhone 5s gps?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

I sometimes use Endomondo on my phone, and I've found it to be ridiculously inaccurate.  If you have a particular route, how about mapmyrun?

As for "deserving" a Garmin, of course you do!  You're running way more than I am, and I have one.  So if you want/need one, get one!  I don't know anything about the effectiveness in a city, though.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Back from my asthma doctor follow up.  Breathing still sucks.  Yay, 52%. 

Hope, looks to me you are not feeding Dusty much food.  Feed the poor beast so he does not eat your breakfast, lunch, and dinner in one sitting.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

But he's 116 lbs!!

Singer who runs a smidge

4 cups of kibble in one day should be enough!  Greedy thing ...