Beginners and Beyond

My next running book will be this one (Read 123 times)

Love the Half

RWOL did an interview with the author of a forthcoming book called "The Sports Gene."  Fascinating stuff.

Interview here

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I read that whole page.  Very interesting stuff, indeed.  I really liked the part about the Kalenjin & Oromo tribal ties to nix the idea of "just Ethiopian or Kenyan" means they're good to go for running prowess.

I was hoping for a little more "meat" into the Paula Radcliffe study but maybe there's more in the book.  I like her because she's the "platypus" of running phenomena.  Pasty white chick w/ bizarre running form & a VO2 max that doesn't improve?  THAT'S pretty cool!!

Randy

Hip Redux

That's interesting.

Now I have a reason why I'm slow.  I'm too tall.

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

But I'm only 5'3". How come I'm not faster?

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Sounds like an awesome read.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hip Redux

But I'm only 5'3". How come I'm not faster?

I'm sure you have some other genetic defect that you can blame it on!

I also have big feet, which means more weight to lug around.

meaghansketch

That's interesting.

Me too.  And of course all my friends try to tell me they are slow (er than me) because they're so short and don't have long legs like I do.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Ha.  I get that too.  "You're 6'4" and have long legs.  You're built for running."  Yeah, I'm as big as house with size 13's on.  I'm super efficient.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hip Redux

Ha.  I get that too.  "You're 6'4" and have long legs.  You're built for running."  Yeah, I'm as big as house with size 13's on.  I'm super efficient.

I think there should be a Tall division, like Clydesdale and Athena.   For us folks with a height disadvantage.  Why should I have to compete with folks who are only 5'2" when I am 5'8"?

Big grin

GC100k

I LOVE this topic and will chime in with more later.

After my first marathon, a friend asked me how it went.  I said "I won".  She said "I'm not surprised with those long legs".  I had to clarify that I was joking.  Yes, I have a 37" inseam, but I weight 270 lbs.  I hadn't thought of this before I read the article, but I also have thick ankles and lower legs and size 16 shoes.  So I have lots of excuses for being slow.

meaghansketch

Now that I've had a chance to read the interview, this sounds like a really interesting book.

The idea that genetics can influence athletic potential is basically undisputed (though I have actually, strangely, gotten arguments over the subject on running forums) but I think what is fascinating is the many ways that can happen.  For example the genetic influence on the drive to be physically active (if you want to run more, you'll probably run more) and also durability (if you can run more without injury, and you want to run more, you'll probably run more.  It's not just 'good genetics = good athlete', it's 'genetic predisposition to high V02max + 'genetic predisposition to tolerating high volume/intensity of training while avoiding injury' + 'genetic predisposition to enjoy athletic activity' + 'genetic predisposition to physical traits that are advantageous in your sport of choice' + 'genetic predisposition to improving through training' (+ many factors I am leaving out) = good athlete.

Will run for scenery.

Yeah, I feel like I could be a good athlete if my genes would just get me up offa my butt and then make me keep going past the point where it stops feeling comfy.

OTOH, being able to sit around idly for hours and hours on end means I get a lot of good reading done.  And no nagging sports injuries from my younger days!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

GC100k

The idea that genetics can influence athletic potential is basically undisputed (though I have actually, strangely, gotten arguments over the subject on running forums) 

I had a back-and-forth with a guy on the old RW forum, who apparently was never a kid himself, who claimed that there was absolutely no difference in the natural sprinting speed of different kids.  He insisted that the only reason for a difference was that some kids worked harder than others.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I had a back-and-forth with a guy on the old RW forum, who apparently was never a kid himself, who claimed that there was absolutely no difference in the natural sprinting speed of different kids.  He insisted that the only reason for a difference was that some kids worked harder than others.

I swear it wasn't me.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sloooow.

I think there should be a Tall division, like Clydesdale and Athena.   For us folks with a height disadvantage.  Why should I have to compete with folks who are only 5'2" when I am 5'8"?

Big grin

I'm 5'10", 200lbs with size 11 feet, lol. I want a Tall Athena division!

Very interesting, thanks for sharing LtH.