Beginners and Beyond

My next running book will be this one (Read 123 times)

meaghansketch

I had a back-and-forth with a guy on the old RW forum, who apparently was never a kid himself, who claimed that there was absolutely no difference in the natural sprinting speed of different kids.  He insisted that the only reason for a difference was that some kids worked harder than others.

Was this the same guy who argued that Jack Daniels' divisions of runners on school teams  (had talent/worked hard; had talent/didn't work hard/ didn't have talent/worked hard/ didn't have talent/didn't work hard) in Daniels' Running Formula was that it was marketing to sell more books?  Because, uh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

meaghansketch

I'm 5'10", 200lbs with size 11 feet, lol. I want a Tall Athena division!

Very interesting, thanks for sharing LtH.

5'11" here, and my running shoe is a size 11 MENS.  (I am a woman).  And based on weight, I don't think I'll ever not qualify as an Athena.  Though I've never done a race with that category...  Maybe I should, it would certainly give me a better chance of a category AG award than the races around here.

GC100k

Was this the same guy who argued that Jack Daniels' divisions of runners on school teams  (had talent/worked hard; had talent/didn't work hard/ didn't have talent/worked hard/ didn't have talent/didn't work hard) in Daniels' Running Formula was that it was marketing to sell more books?  Because, uh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I don't know.  I kept giving him the benefit of the doubt and thought I might be misunderstanding him, but he wouldn't back down from insisting that the only difference was how hard a kid worked.  Maybe he was just trolling me, but he was consistent.

GC100k

5'11" here, and my running shoe is a size 11 MENS.  (I am a woman).  And based on weight, I don't think I'll ever not qualify as an Athena.  Though I've never done a race with that category...  Maybe I should, it would certainly give me a better chance of a category AG award than the races around here.

My wife is 6' 0.25" (about 3 inches taller than men who are "six feet" tall).  I'm not allowed to say what size shoe she wears, but they're bigger than yours (long feet are sexy).  She's a runner, much faster than I am, and could clean up in Athena divisions, but she has no interest in racing.

Sloooow.

I wear mens shoes too, 10.5 in the Brooks I have now. I was a 11 until I got pregnant, and now I think I'm an 11.5, lol. I live in flip-flops though. I've seen Athena divisions start at 130. I think my skeleton weighs more than that. I'd be lucky to ever see 150-160.

happylily

It was a very interesting article. But what really caught my attention is this:  So really, even though we sort of fit stories to what we think is going on, we can't observe the genetics; we don't know what's really going on.

I believe everything the author is saying. But until we really know more about the subject, what's the point of worrying about it? If it's true that somehow we all respond differently to training, because of our genetics, then the best that I can do for myself at the moment is to continue following my gut instinct when it comes to my own running.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Verrrry interesting.

meaghansketch

It was a very interesting article. But what really caught my attention is this:  So really, even though we sort of fit stories to what we think is going on, we can't observe the genetics; we don't know what's really going on.

I believe everything the author is saying. But until we really know more about the subject, what's the point of worrying about it? If it's true that somehow we all respond differently to training, because of our genetics, then the best that I can do for myself at the moment is to continue following my gut instinct when it comes to my own running.

I think there's a difference between worrying about it and knowing about it.  One of the things I've seen in the past year (not just in this interview, but various articles in Running Times, Alex Hutchison's Sweat Science blog) is that runners who are larger tend to have a much more difficult time in warm weather.  Learning about this (and why it happens), along with my personal experience of that, has influenced my training/racing schedule.  There is a big half-marathon here that my team always participates in, and tries to have a good showing for, that takes place at the end of May.  This year I was cheering instead of running, and I didn't feel guilty for that decision, partially because of that research.

I think in general knowing this stuff makes it easier for those who aren't naturally fast, or don't improve rapidly.  It can be tough feeling like you must be doing something wrong because you're not running x:00 minute miles after 6 months, or a year, or two years running.  It's comforting, in a way, to know that you're not necessarily doing anything wrong; you might just be slow to respond to exercise, or you might need to change something in your training to better suit your physiology.

I always like to look at it like this: I know where I started, and I know where I am, but there's no way to know what my genetic limits are.  So you train the best you can in order to find out, and come closer to those limits, whatever they may be.

Love the Half

I have always felt that your genetics sets your upper and lower limits on everything while your effort determines where you end up on that scale.  No one ever taught me to read 500 words per minute.  Words and I just get along.  Numbers, not so much and pictures and I aren't even on the same planet.  If I wanted to work hard enough to be a professional author, I could probably pull it off.  No amount of work would turn me into a professional artist.  By the same token, my genetics have enabled me to be a decent local runner but I will never be a seriously competitive runner no matter how hard I work.

Oh, to hell with it.  Every one who is faster than me has good genes and everyone who is slower than me is a lazy sumbitch.  Evil

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

GC100k

I believe everything the author is saying. But until we really know more about the subject, what's the point of worrying about it?

It is basically irrelevant for us weekend warriors.  But parents are actually wanting genetic testing to tell them which sports to have their children pursue.  I read a fascinating book, Game On* by Tom Farrey, a few years ago and exchanged some emails with him.  I'd recommend it.

China, the USSR, and others have for decades sought to identify VERY early which athletes are most promising in what.  For such things, it's a big deal.

A slightly different story is in the past the Australian national crew (rowing) team always sucked.  But they knew that the best rowers had a certain tall build.  So they went around to college campuses and walked around looking for girls with that build but no rowing experience and invited them to train as rowers.  In not too many years, they were pretty good as a national team.

For me, genetics and natural ability have no impact on what I choose to do as hobbies.  I love distance running and playing music and have no natural talent for either.  If I tell people I have no musical talent, they argue because I can play guitar and hold my own.  But I've been around people with talent and I know I don't have it.  It takes hard work for me to be mediocre.  Running is similar.  I could probably be pretty good in rowing or speed skating, but I don't want to do that.  I could get a lot closer to my ceiling in running, but I honestly don't care too much about being good in running either, I just like doing it.

So it's not that applicable for most of us, but I think it's very interesting, and it does have applications.

*synopsis of Game On book:  http://www.tomfarrey.com/farrey-synopsis.htm

GC100k

We're moving and I found a box with old photos my mom gave me.  Below is one from when I was 17.  I don't know what I'm flexing, at that point I'd never lifted a weight in my life.

But what I really noticed is that even when I was a skinny kid, I had thick ankles and lower legs, which that article informs me are bad for distance running.

flex

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Seems like that would be a good genetic trait to have if you wanted to be a kicker.  It would be like using one of those giant drivers on the golf course.

We're moving and I found a box with old photos my mom gave me.  Below is one from when I was 17.  I don't know what I'm flexing, at that point I'd never lifted a weight in my life.

But what I really noticed is that even when I was a skinny kid, I had thick ankles and lower legs, which that article informs me are bad for distance running.

flex

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Don't rule out professional artist yet.  All you have to do is find one idiot that thinks that something you did is worth paying for.  Hell, you don't even have to do it on purpose.

I have always felt that your genetics sets your upper and lower limits on everything while your effort determines where you end up on that scale.  No one ever taught me to read 500 words per minute.  Words and I just get along.  Numbers, not so much and pictures and I aren't even on the same planet.  If I wanted to work hard enough to be a professional author, I could probably pull it off.  No amount of work would turn me into a professional artist.  By the same token, my genetics have enabled me to be a decent local runner but I will never be a seriously competitive runner no matter how hard I work.

Oh, to hell with it.  Every one who is faster than me has good genes and everyone who is slower than me is a lazy sumbitch.  Evil

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Love the Half

GC, I think it matters for weekend warriors.  I have seen people become terribly frustrated at their lack of progress.  They are doing the things they ought to be doing but they are improving very little.  Unfortunately, everyone else also assumes they are doing something wrong so they get advised to try this or that training method or to change their footstrike or to "always run with 180 steps per minute" or some other such conventional wisdom.  Or, they keep trying to push above some arbitrary mileage goal and keep getting hurt.  Accepting that you do have performance limitations can help you to enjoy running as a healthful activity without stressing over some performance goal you may not have the ability to reach.

By the same token, sometimes those who progress rapidly assume that everyone can progress rapidly if they'll just do the same things.  It drives me crazy when I see posts from people who talk glibly about ramping up from couch to a BQ in a year and glibly act like that's normal.  Well, it's not normal.  Most people who try to emulate such a training program will either fail miserably or get hurt trying.  This book is a reminder that it's not just about how hard you work at it.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

workinprogress11

This is quite interesting, but what interests me more is how someone (non-elite) who decides they have bad genes from reading this book reacts to that. Do they say "the heck with it" because they figure the running gods are against them or do they grit their teeth and work to reach their maximum potential with what genes they do have.