Beginners and Beyond

Time To Feed The Friday Penguins! (Read 30 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Penguins!

Yesterday I was starving before, during, and aftery 5 miler. For this run I parked at a Wawa parking lot and the whole run I was thinking about what junk food I could cram down. Well I held out until I got home for dinner but I did grab an 8 oz recovery chocolate milk. After dinner I have to admit that I finished a box of chocolate ice cream and my peanut butter filled chocolate Easter egg!

I don't know why that happens but sometimes I feel so famished and go into a feeding frenzy.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - I have days like that too.  Sometimes I have some terrible cravings as well.  I don't know what causes it, but its definitely something I have to deal with at times.  So far, so good though.  It's good to see you running again though.

AFM - Looking to put up a 50 mile week this week.  I've been so close, so many times...lol  I think it helps that I have to cut back a bit next week anyway because of the 10K, but my marathon training starts in May.  So, the first thing I'll be doing is a 6 week base building phase, and I'm really hoping to get to consistent 50+ miles per week.  My runs have been so good lately, that I'm really curious to see what I can do in a 10K.  I've never run one before, but I'm planning to run it by feel.  I don't have anything to base a goal on.  My HM was based on a 5K that I ran the previous month, and I beat that goal because I felt good enough to pick up the pace late.  My fitness is better now, and I think the weather will be better.  I could surprise myself.  The only bad part is that this course has a 180 degree turn around as you run the 5K loop twice.  I hate turning around that way because I feel like you either have to slow down, take it wide or risk injury.  We'll see how that turns out.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Good morning Gus and Awood.

I also have days when I eat anything in sight.  But so far it hasn't caused any weight gain -- I've been at the same weight +/- 2 lbs for the past six months.  I just figure those really hungry days are when I'm in a calorie deficit.

6-8 miles on tap for tonight.

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav - I know what you mean.  Hard to fight it off sometimes.  I usually put it up to my body telling me I should have eaten better in the day before the run.

AR - excellent goal!

PF - Good morning!

AFM - my DW has her surgery for the gall bladder today so that is the big event.  Depends on how she feels but I may sneak in a run later tonight.  I did get my new shoes!  However, because I require a wide, the only color is blue and white.  The upside is it has some orange on the sole.  LOL  Oh well...

Bin Running

Famosa Friday for me. Leaving for Taiwan in 5hrs.

Just back from 4M tempo w/ 1M easy. Just an impromptu tempo as DW only allow 50mins for my run. Never ran any tempo w/o warmup. Hope nothing serious will happen.

Time for dinner and some last min check.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Bin, safe travels to you.

Gustav, looks like you are making good progress with the running. I have the "eat everything in sight" days too.

Phillie, enjoy the 6-8 later.

Awood, you will do well on the 10k.

Vance, prayers and healing vibes to DW for her gall bladder surgery, hope she recovers quickly.

Scotty, the package has landed, thank you very much

Today is a RD for me. No work either, so it should be just a lazy lay around kind of day. HM #4 coming up in the morning, dedicated to Traci since she can't run it, I hope to see her there though.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Zelanie, from last night: That is SO COOL about you being in the paper!!!

Vance good luck to DW.

I checked in late last night so most of you were sleeping, but I made it to the gym for an easy workout on the elliptical and TM. Just making sure my legs still worked. TWO races this weekend, like Scotty! I'm very excited!!! I just found out tomorrow's race doesn't have a bag check, so that is super weird and annoying!! I should probably not race in my new shoes, right? That I've only worn last night for a very short and easy run on the TM and never outside?

Happy Friday!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have no internet at home, bah.  Finished with 12.25 and weights last night total.  Today, it will be a chiro appointment and 5 recovery miles.

Have a great day!

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning from Knoxville.  Last 2.5 miles before race.  Strange, the roads aren't flat here.   Going to Biltmore Estate in Asheville today.

Have a great weekend  !!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  It's winter again today -- we had sleet last night, and it's cold and windy today.  I might go for a walk if it warms up, though.  I have some demo samples to do in a half hour, so guests in my lab and hopefully things go well!  Then tonight I have to do all the last-minute stuff for tomorrow's chorus show!  Mostly that involves painting my nails and making sure all my props are in one place, so no major stresses.

Gustav -- if you're hungry, eat!  Holding out usually just makes it worse.

Awood -- good luck with the 50 miles!!

Phillie -- enjoy your miles tonight!!

N-Bug -- good luck to DW!!

Bin -- nice run, and have fun in Taiwan!!

hog -- good luck at the HM, and enjoy your lazy day!!

kristin -- I'd wait on the new shoes, but good to know your legs still work!!

Docket -- hope the chiro appt goes well, and you get internet back!!

Jerryb -- I grew up about 30 minutes from Asheville, I've been to Biltmore many times.  Enjoy!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Good morning!

Good social run last night.  No trouble from the hip.  I could feel it, but it didn't affect my gait or pace.  Tonight it's 5-6 easy.

Gustav- I have far more days like that than I'd like to admit.  It's a good thing we run!

Awood- Good luck on getting in 50 this week!

Margo- Enjoy the run later!

Vance- Wishing your wife a speedy recovery.  And congrats on the new shoes!

Bin- Hope you have a great trip!  What is Famosa Friday?

Mitch- Enjoy the RD, and good luck tomorrow!

Kristin- Thank you!  I will put the link up when it comes out.  Even if I'm not happy with it, hehe.  I would say don't wear the new shoes, even if you love them.  There will be other races to wear them in.

Jerry- Good to hear from you!  Have fun and good luck!  Does your race have any online tracking?

HsM- Ugh, sorry about winter still!  Your show sounds exciting!  Are you just doing one performance?

Singer who runs a smidge

Yes, just one show at 4 pm.  Truth be told, we haven't really sold enough tickets to justify putting on two performances.  It's a pretty small theater, but we've only sold about half the tickets so far.  Sad

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Well maybe the people who do come are in for twice the treat!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Aww, good luck!

Yes, just one show at 4 pm.  Truth be told, we haven't really sold enough tickets to justify putting on two performances.  It's a pretty small theater, but we've only sold about half the tickets so far.  Sad

Ugh, my chiro is not answering.  I better find him!

Damaris