Beginners and Beyond

"Situationally" aware Sunday Penguins! (Read 29 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

I had to coin a new term for that but, whatever!  LOL

BEST of luck to our racers today!  Everyone of ya!  Happy Memorial Day to everyone also.

They posted official results last night on the website an my finish is a HUGE personal best of 2:16:08.2.  I say HUGE personal best because of my knee blowout in 2010 where I finished walking the last 5 miles, that was in the neighborhood of a 3:37.x.    I haven't had the opportunity to type of the race report yet but I can some it up in AWESOME.  Felt strong and finished strong.  Pics soon.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  6 and weights tonight.

Vance, Congrats on your new PR.  You will write an RR, yes??????

Damaris

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Absolutely...  busy day ahead.  We have a wedding later, blah blah.  LOL

Zelanie

Morning!  I've got to go into work later to get ready for some testing.  But in the mean time, I will do my 2 mile TM run.

Vance- I didn't know that you had had a knee blowout in the past.  What happened?

D- Enjoy the miles and weights later!

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Great job again Vance, looking forward to your RR!

Damaris, enjoy the weights and run. Smile

Zel, hope you had a good run!

AFM, yard work, house work and some miles later.  I'm really looking forward to getting back on track, last couple of weeks I've been miserable, I need to run. Smile

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

GinnyinPA

Vance - congratulations on the huge PR.

Dave - I hope things settle down so you can get back into your running as you'd like.

Damaris - enjoy your 6.

Zelanie- it's a holiday weekend, you shouldn't have to work!  Good luck on your two.  Did the knee behave on your hike yesterday?

AFM:  I'm a bit stiff after working in the garden yesterday (bags of dirt are surprisingly heavy!) so how far I run will depend on how I feel after walking Ben this morning.  This evening DH and I will go out to celebrate our 17th anniversary.

Bin Running

Morning guys!

Vance, look forward to your RR.

Damaris, enjoy the 6.

Mel, so happy you are coming back.

Dave, read your RR. Good job and glad you can start clocking miles.

Ginny, hope you get some run in. Congrats on 17 years. That's something to celebrate.

Afm, I think I took my taper too well. Haa Didn't get up early for my run today. Sleep in and have a long breakfast with DW and DS. Maybe due to the heat, my head is pounding after lunch. It's like the brain is expanding but the skull kept it in. Nap for a while which seem to help. Tried to jog but the headache is back. 1st mile is miserable. It seem to went away after 2nd mile but I don't want to risk it. Stopped at 3. Dipped in the pool with DS and it all seem fine now.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Ginny and Bin!

Ginny, I'm always a lil surprised at how sore yard work can make me, I think for me it's all the bending over, gets my back. Smile

Bin, sorry to hear about the headache, hope it stays away.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

Woo, 2 miles on the TM done.  I couldn't resist making it into a progression run, the last little bit ended up down to HM pace.  As long as I warm up and am not trying to hold anything fast enough for long enough that it affects my form, I figure it should be fine, right?  Knee felt better after than before my run, I think.

D2- Enjoy getting some more miles in this week!

Ginny- Happy anniversary!  My knee behaved fine on the hike (though admittedly, I do feel it a bit, but just on the "good" side of irritated, if that makes sense).  The trouble was one of my dogs went missing for a bit.  She must have hightailed it back to the parking lot after we got separated, because I spent maybe 50 minutes looking for her before DH got a call from the shelter (30 minutes away from where I was) that somebody had turned her in there.  She didn't have a collar one, but they had our info on her microchip.  Today I ordered new tags for both dogs.

Bin- Sounds like taper madness to me!  You will be fine!

SheCan

They posted official results last night on the website an my finish is a HUGE personal best of 2:16:08.2.  I say HUGE personal best because of my knee blowout in 2010 where I finished walking the last 5 miles, that was in the neighborhood of a 3:37.x.    I haven't had the opportunity to type of the race report yet but I can some it up in AWESOME.  Felt strong and finished strong.  Pics soon.

Congratulations!  I'll be watching for the RR and pics. 

Ginny-- congratulations on your 17 year anniversary!  Hope you have a beautiful evening.  Your gardening talk almost makes me want to go outside and play in the dirt. 

Bin-- hope you're okay and it was just groggies hitting you.  Good that you're getting time in with the family though.

Zel--- glad you found your dog!  

Took today off as a rest day, and will bring a neighbor to the airport soon to get her son.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Amazonian Princess

G'morning!

Congrats on the awesome race, N-Bug!

Just popping in for a few quick sentences because I finally got some exercise today; Friday night was spent tracking down a registry gift for future SIL's bridal shower (I thought missing a 5k so I could attend was present enough but DH said there should be more) then Saturday was her shower and several hours travel time. Got up early this morning to hit the trail with my sister and did 4.4 miles- I think I could have done more but held back because I'm not clear on when or how to increase distance so I'm following the app Smile

Have a beautiful Sunday!

I can. I will. I am. 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

N-Bug: gee, you sound only a little happy. Wink I know the feeling and it is great. Well done!

Zel: two miles on the treadmill is better than nothing. You will be back.

D2: bro, you are seriously fast. Great 10k time!

Ginny: happy anniversary to you Smile

Bin: tapering is madness!!

as for me, I might go out tonight and run a few miles to get loose for my 10k tomorrow. I am not expecting anything great because my legs are tired. I really need that massage. I used the muscle stick last night and it hurt! I know I have a lot of knots in my calves and only a massage can get them out.

Sloooow.

N-Bug, congratulations on your PR! That's an amazing improvement, and no death march! Smile

Docket- Hope your 6 and weights go well tonight. What kind of routine do you have for weights?

Zelanie- I'm glad you're having some improvements with your knee. How often are you having PT?

Dave- Hope the miles go well tonight! Have fun with the house and yard work. I'm catching up on laundry today, boo.

Ginny- Yard work definitely uses different muscle groups! Take it easy today.

Bin- Sorry to hear about the headaches! Heat related?

Cherie- Enjoy your rest day!

Baconista- Nice work on the miles! What kind of plan are you following?

Jack- Knotty calves don't sound too pleasant, but I hope your 10K goes well tomorrow.

AFM- Not sure today! I should take a rest day, but I'm frustrated and motivated. A girl from my hometown posted that she ran a 10K this morning and finished in 1:06. She didn't train, she didn't do anything! Argghhh! I've been running for 10 months and I couldn't do close to that. Deep breaths, lol.

I'm about to head outside to babysit the chickens. I need to integrate some 5 week olds with the outdoor teenagers, without any bloodshed. I usually have a 4 week limit of having chicks in the house, but I need about 3 more weeks to get them all used to each other. Ready to have the house back. A couple of the ones in the house are definite roosters too, and 4 outside. At this rate we'll need to build a bachelor pad to keep the peace.

Sloooow.

Role call for Scotty? Hope you are OK, I've been following all the flooding in San Antonio, it looks awful. Fingers crossed you are home and dry.