Beginners and Beyond

Get your WednesDAILIES here (link) (Read 41 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Basya- all the time. That's why sometimes I'm glad I live alone and often do my running very early before I encounter anyone for the day. If I'm trying to get a workout in after work, there's often a well meaning friend or coworker trying to convince me to do dinner. While my family and boyfriend have been highly supportive of my running, the time I see either my parents or boyfriend is weekends since they're out of state, and I run both days of the weekend- a long run and a shorter run (or I have a race). While they always support me I'm not sure if they really understand completely. I've heard plenty of times, "you always work so hard, wouldn't it be ok if you skipped your run today so we can ________?" (go shopping, go out to breakfast, get on the road earlier for whatever, sleep in, ect).

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Question for the Dailies: has any of you ever had trouble with anyone trying to convince you to skip a run? As if s/he were resentful that you made a plan for a workout and stuck to it?

Yes, one circle of friends that just didn't get it.  I don't hang out with them anymore.  Smile

Zelanie

Basya- That's one reason that I sometimes do my LR on Friday after work. It gets me out the door on time on Friday, but I still end up running alone in the dark until way too late. The tradeoff is that then I can do regular people stuff on both weekend days. This week, DH wanted to go out Friday night. So, I reminded him that I would be taking one weekend day for a LR this weekend.

OMG. I was reminded why I should never eat a big meal, even five hours before, the day of a run. What a wicked side stitch. I hobbled for 5.50 miles in 59:07 (10:45 pace) before I quite. Effityeffeffeff. I walked for a bit until the discomfort stopped.

I'll hit the weights in a few minutes.

LRB

Question for the Dailies: has any of you ever had trouble with anyone trying to convince you to skip a run? As if s/he were resentful that you made a plan for a workout and stuck to it? I've made it clear that Sundays are my long-run day. This week's long run was twenty-miles. Someone repeatedly tried to get me to do something else, saying that missing this one run wasn't a big deal. Ugh.

Thankfully I am at a point in my life where I pretty much control what and when I do anything.  Of course there are the occasional blips here and there but for the most part I do my own thing.

As for the specific point of your question; no, no one has ever tried to talk me out of doing a run.  That is actually an entirely different thing altogether, as if your running whenever you choose to do it is a problem for them.

I would throw a flag on that and call BS.  Either support me or kiss my grits!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Non-Runners do not get the dedication that it takes to go out and run every day. I remember how Chalean Johnson put it in one of the Turbo Fire workouts: if your friends don't want you to become hethy, get new friends!

Damaris

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

No surgery today afterall for cousin's wife Sad too weak and drs think she may have had a stroke at some point Sad

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Hi everyone, it's crazy windy out today so I opted for 5.25 on the TM.

Kristin - Thoughts and prayers continuing for your cousin-in-law.

Basya - I haven't had too much trouble from people about my running schedule. I put my running calendar into my phone so my workouts appear just like a work or other type of appointment, that way if someone wants something, I just say I have an appointment scheduled. I get the most eye rolls from co-workers but that has lessened since there are now three of us who are runners. My husband is very supportive and even joins me when I run on the track or when I do runs that are an hour or less. We do a Thursday night beer run together that joins running and social time. It's a great way to blend exercise and time together, as well as time with friends who come out. Like Zelanie, I usually do my longest runs on Fridays so I don't take up as much time on the weekends. I have the luxury of having Friday off, so it's a nice way to truly have some time to myself when I'm off work. My husband's main hobby is playing drums, so he spends a lot of time with his music and I support him with his hobby too. Some of my family roll their eyes at me, but others think it's pretty awesome. The ones who encourage me tend to be the more active ones. The ones who roll their eyes are the ones on blood pressure meds and statins. so I don't really care what they think.

kristin10185Sad

Nicole, brava on the 5.25.

Thanks, everyone, for letting me know that I'm not the only one with someone in my life who would like me to rearrange my schedule for her/his convenience or pleasure.

I did weights after the stich went away. I wasn't feeling it. What I do feel is as if someone were wiping the gym floor with me.

I'm on my way home to do push-ups and ab work, then shower and crash.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sad

Thanks, everyone, for letting me know that I'm not the only one with someone in my life who would like me to rearrange my schedule for her/his convenience or pleasure.

Kristin, sorry to hear that but I'll keep hoping for the best.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Been a crazy day, but I got in 5 miles this morning before work.  Legs are still a lil tired, so I took it easy.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

Kristin... 

I didn't have it in me mentally (and probably physically also) to do 16 tonight. I compromised and switched my Friday run to tonight and I will run the 16 Friday night, when I know that I can sleep in a little the next morning. Tonight was 14 miles @ 8:04 pace. Now time for a Subway sandwich, which I will eat in honor of FreeSoul. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Supp!

I am finally in but had an hour of shoveling to do before I walked through the door, we really got hammered today. My socks had been wet all day so I was not looking forward to that but got it done.

There are some minus temps heading our way this weekend which at this point I do not even fuckin care about.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sorry, Kristin.

I did 3 miles.  It was hot as fuck but they didn't suck.  I just had to cut my run short because MY NEW CAR IS READY TO BE PICKED UP!

In other news, the bike is NOT ready for pickup.

Damaris

LRB

Sorry, Kristin.

I did 3 miles.  It was hot as fuck but they didn't suck.  I just had to cut my run short because MY NEW CAR IS READY TO BE PICKED UP!

In other news, the bike is NOT ready for pickup.

You sound like me honey, I have been spending money like the shit is going out of style this off season.  lol