Beginners and Beyond

The die is cast; I'm excited (Read 90 times)

Love the Half

Yesterday I went out for my last pre-marathon pacing workout.  The marathon is November 2nd so this would be 10 days out.  The plan was to go 15 miles at planned pace (7:49) and then put in some work for myself.  It went pretty well.

I started at an 8:05 pace but settled in around 7:40 after Mile 3.  Went through 13.1 in 1:41:12.  That's faster than I want on race day.  I'd like to hit the halfway point between 1:41:30 and 1:42:00.  That puts a 30-60 second cushion for folks to run a slightly positive split and still make 3:25.  I did better the next few miles with Mile 13 in 7:41.90, Mile 14 in 7:41.84 (yep, 6/100 of a second difference) and Mile 15 in 7:52.  Good enough.  Then, I did some work for myself with Mile 16 in 6:52, Mile 17 in 6:40 and Mile 18 in 6:25.  Jogged the last two with some strides.  Total of 20 miles in 2:32:38.

I gotta be honest in that I'm really nervous about this.  Most of the time, if I fuck it up in a race, I have to live with my mistakes but they don't impact anyone else.  This time, my mistake can cost someone a BQ either because I go out too hard or because I don't go out hard enough.  Worse, my margin for error is very slim.  Given that my goal is to finish no faster than 3:23:30, I only have a margin of error of 4 seconds per mile as that's a 7:45 pace.  I suppose the good thing is that I'm not trying to do this just by myself.  I'll be talking with the folks in the group and that, in and of itself, will help me to rein in my pace a tad bit.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Yesterday I went out for my last pre-marathon pacing workout.  The marathon is November 2nd so this would be 10 days out.  The plan was to go 15 miles at planned pace (7:49) and then put in some work for myself.  It went pretty well.

I started at an 8:05 pace but settled in around 7:40 after Mile 3.  Went through 13.1 in 1:41:12.  That's faster than I want on race day.  I'd like to hit the halfway point between 1:41:30 and 1:42:00.  That puts a 30-60 second cushion for folks to run a slightly positive split and still make 3:25.  I did better the next few miles with Mile 13 in 7:41.90, Mile 14 in 7:41.84 (yep, 6/100 of a second difference) and Mile 15 in 7:52.  Good enough.  Then, I did some work for myself with Mile 16 in 6:52, Mile 17 in 6:40 and Mile 18 in 6:25.  Jogged the last two with some strides.  Total of 20 miles in 2:32:38.

I gotta be honest in that I'm really nervous about this.  Most of the time, if I fuck it up in a race, I have to live with my mistakes but they don't impact anyone else.  This time, my mistake can cost someone a BQ either because I go out too hard or because I don't go out hard enough.  Worse, my margin for error is very slim.  Given that my goal is to finish no faster than 3:23:30, I only have a margin of error of 4 seconds per mile as that's a 7:45 pace.  I suppose the good thing is that I'm not trying to do this just by myself.  I'll be talking with the folks in the group and that, in and of itself, will help me to rein in my pace a tad bit.

You are going to be great. If you can talk to people at a 3:25 pace, you will do just fine. I am guessing that this will be your first of many.

happylily

No need to be nervous, it'll be a piece of cake for you. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

StepbyStep-SH

You'll do fine!

And remember at the finish to high-five all the people 20 yards behind that you didn't even realize were there.

In the one half that I paced for, I think there were about 10 people who said "We were just keeping you in sight - thanks!"

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

You'll do fine. I remember the first time I paced and was very nervous but once I settled in it just flowed. Focus on those even splits and don't put too much in the bank the first half. Remember some of those folks will be pushing their limits.

Will you be carrying a sign?

Love the Half

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Little Blue

I'll be there, running the half.  I'll be sure to take a picture of the large group that crosses the line at 3:24:55.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

!!!!Oh My Fucking God, I will be in Indy in a week nervous as fuck knowing the very next morning I will be running my first marathon!!!!    

And yes, I am having me a glass of hard cider. 

Are you as excited/nervous as FreeSoul?  Maybe you two can compare notes.... 

Good luck, LTH!  No doubt in my mind you will do great!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

Are you as excited/nervous as FreeSoul?  Maybe you two can compare notes.... 

Good luck, LTH!  No doubt in my mind you will do great!

LOL...

LRB

I gotta be honest in that I'm really nervous about this.  Most of the time, if I fuck it up in a race, I have to live with my mistakes but they don't impact anyone else.  This time, my mistake can cost someone a BQ either because I go out too hard or because I don't go out hard enough.

Pacers have been fuckin up the dreams and goals of runners for years so you would fit right in if you did and no one would think twice about it.  Just run your race as you normally would and finish within 30 seconds of your goal time, that's what most of them do.

That was a helluva progression for miles 16 though 18, that right there will keep you from going out too fast on race day so you have that going for you.

Are you carb loading for the race or treating it as a long run?  If so, to what degree?

A friend of mine is running with you so there is some added pressure for ya, his name is Jim.  DO NOT SCREW UP HIS CHANCE AT A BQ! lol

onemile

If I knew the 3:25 pacer at Indy was really planning to run a 3:23, I would plan to run with him. I guess I should ask him what his plan is. It seems like pacers lately factor in a bit of cushion for the BQ.

DavePNW

If I knew the 3:25 pacer at Indy was really planning to run a 3:23, I would plan to run with him. I guess I should ask him what his plan is. It seems like pacers lately factor in a bit of cushion for the BQ.

Like LRB said I think the general rule is to shoot for 30 sec faster than goal. You can always run with him for ~18-20, and assume if you are trained right you will have enough in the tank to pull away & gain the extra time over the rest of the race. But what the hell do I know about running a strong marathon finish.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Since it has taken roughly BQ-1:30 to actually be accepted for Boston with a couple thousand BQ runners being turned away each year, maybe it makes sense for pacers to aim for BQ-1:30 rather than the nominal time.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good luck!

Damaris

happylily

I forgot to say: at the finish line, don't forget to congratulate even those who failed to do it your way. Because in the big scheme of things, all roads lead to Rome.