Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES!! Lets do this! (Read 43 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Finally, someone who speaks my language, LawyerMom!  We are at 91F right now so the promised cold front never made it this far south!

PR, awesome news!

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

PleasantRidge, great news! Be careful on the bike. How does the foot feel with the extended rest?

DavePNW

In this last marathon cycle, 2 of my 3 tuneup races were short - a 2.9-mile 5k and a 12.5-mile HM. Which was fine because I was tanking them anyway. Although placed in AG in both - those still count!

Dave

placed in AG in both - those still count!

Natch.  Awards always count, those other bastards were slower than you for 2.9 miles!

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

are you cleared to bike as much as you want now?

Yes.  I'm released on my own recognizance, but not allowed to run or do any high impact activities for another month.

Runner with a riding problem.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I've had a number of short races, including on certified courses. If you don't actually set the course up properly based on the certification, why bother spending the money. Most of the short races recently I've been miserable anyway, so it just ended the misery. Still somewhat annoyed at a shortened 5k in May 2016, I think I would have come very close or beat my PR, but they took away an out and back due to ankle deep water & ducks swimming on the course.

It also really bugs me to read the short course stories where the RDs pull "it is the runner's responsibility to know the course". Sort of agree. But the waiver also says you have to obey the course officials. Who is going to argue with them, especially if it's the later miles of a race? If you have the cops or military as the course marshalls, I'm following the directions the guy with the gun gives.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

PleasantRidge, great news! Be careful on the bike. How does the foot feel with the extended rest?

All the time on crutches was great for my now pain-free foot.  If getting back to walking and working doesn't flare it up,  I'm going to try to jog a little when I'm allowed.  Maybe I can sneak a few miles a week in without my foot noticing.

I just want to move around.  And, lose the 10 damn lbs I gained while healing.

Runner with a riding problem.

LRB

In 2013, I got hit by one of the official marathon motorcycles.

I managed to keep my feet and keep running, but it was a pretty weird experience.

Good morning, peeps.

I got knocked down in front of the net last night at my hockey game, so my lower back is a little stiff today.  Will attempt 12.5 km home, but that may be cut short.  Like, waaaaaaaay short.

Damn. Weird is one word for it!

Damn. Weird is one word for it!

Right?  I probably would have gone with "terrifying," but I guess when you play ice hockey for fun, getting run over by a motorcycle ain't no thang.

LRB

LRB, I shall now call that the swing moon forevermore.  

Boom. 

Cyberic

In 2013, I got hit by one of the official marathon motorcycles.

I managed to keep my feet and keep running, but it was a pretty weird experience.

I got knocked down in front of the net last night at my hockey game, so my lower back is a little stiff today

WTF? (motorcycle)

I had to stop playing hockey because my weak ass body couldn't handle that AND running. I chose running.

RunningOnSand

It's all good, we don't judge. Now if you get caught cutting a race course short, it might get ugly. Big grin

I may be slow, but I'm no cheater! Big grin

RunningWithMyDog

WTF? (motorcycle)

I had to stop playing hockey because my weak ass body couldn't handle that AND running. I chose running.

Sadly, a month ago I could have linked you to my race report on Runners World Online Forum, which described the whole encounter.

Long story short, I veered left at around the 41 km mark to avoid a pot hole or streetcar track (can't remember which now), and the motorcycle zoomed forward, with the windshield hitting me square in the left side of my chest.  I managed to keep my feet, and kept plodding along.

He pulled up along side of me and asked if I was OK.  I replied, "I think so" and ZOOM he was gone.

And then 200 meters from the finish, I saw my parents, wife and kids.  By this time I was absolutely out of my mind, but I knew I had qualified for Boston.  As I ran by, the only thing I could muster was screaming "Boston! Boston!" at them.  My wife later told me that I had terrified my (then) 3 year old so much she started to cry.

Good times!

RunningOnSand

Seems pretty fast to me  No way in heck can I do mile repeats at 8:30, maybe 1/2 mile on a good day.

Solidarity. Smile

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Long story short, I veered left at around the 41 km mark to avoid a pot hole or streetcar track (can't remember which now), and the motorcycle zoomed forward, with the windshield hitting me square in the left side of my chest.  I managed to keep my feet, and kept plodding along.

Well that puts a new meaning on "hit and run"!  Congrats on Boston too!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours