Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #17 (Read 32 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I normally say ran/walked (like on my RR) but I bet it's wrong and now I await bluerun's correction.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

I Gallowayed. There grammar problem solved.

Baboon

delicate flower

W-2s are done.  Praise Jesus and I need a nap.

<3

bluerun

Super B****

So here’s a question for bluerun and any other language geeks. What is the past tense of “run-walk”? I guess it would be considered a compound verb. I can’t find too many similar examples, but you would say “I stir-fried some vegetables last night”, not “I stirred-fried”. So maybe you would say “I run-walked”?

If you're looking at it as a compound verb, it would make sense to say run-walked, much like the past tense of "freeze-dry" is "freeze-dried," and not "froze-dried." But, disclaimer: I have no fancy reasoning to support this conclusion, it just sounds right to me that way.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

I ran 6 miles. Just ran.

Dave

Cyberic

So here’s a question for bluerun and any other language geeks. What is the past tense of “run-walk”? I guess it would be considered a compound verb. I can’t find too many similar examples, but you would say “I stir-fried some vegetables last night”, not “I stirred-fried”. So maybe you would say “I run-walked”?

I feel compelled to answer, but Bluerun has already done so. Bummer.

DavePNW

I feel compelled to answer, but Bluerun has already done so. Bummer.

Answer away! Most non-native speakers have a better command of the English language than native speakers.

Dave

sdWhiskers

I ran 6 miles. Just ran.

Is the snow all gone now? Or are you still laughing at your neighbors with their icy/snowy/gross driveways while yours is nice and dry.

We had frost here yesterday morning and kids at DS's school were trying to play with it

sdWhiskers

Answer away! Most non-native speakers have a better command of the English language than native speakers.

Truth.

Except when it comes to idioms. Then its just LOL funny.

bluerun

Super B****

I ran 6 miles. Just ran.

As long as you don't say "I have ran." That one drives me NUTS. IDK which is worse, that or people who are "heal strikers."

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

Is the snow all gone now? Or are you still laughing at your neighbors with their icy/snowy/gross driveways while yours is nice and dry.

Not all gone, but on its way. Supposed to get up into the 40s and rainy by tomorrow.

Dave

onemile

It's humid AF here. If the marathon was today I'd die. Thankfully it's not.

Cyberic

Truth.

Except when it comes to idioms. Then its just LOL funny.

Sometimes you guys come up with these expressions that you all understand, but I can't. The only English I'm exposed to is basically the books I read when I'm in a novel mood, or the movies/series I watch when I'm in that mood.

So I agree.

In my case, at least, my English is not so good. Let's say I would not enter an English competition with you guys even if idioms are not allowed, or rather I would not expect to place very high. I have a huge vocabulary deficit.

sdWhiskers

As long as you don't say "I have ran." That one drives me NUTS. IDK which is worse, that or people who are "heal strikers."

Or people who could care less about heal striking.

GinnyinPA

Cy - your English is a lot better than my French. Reading what you post, I would not know that English is not your first language.

Dave - thanks for the link on the Ghosts. They didn't have my size for $60, but they had it for $79 or $159, so I still got a bargain and it's the color I don't have.

RD for me. It's a nice day, cold but sunny, and tomorrow is supposed to be awful with snow, sleet and ice, but I had a doctor's appointment which didn't leave me enough time to do a long run before dark.