Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Are Off And Running! (Read 155 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav - mornin!

SRD for me yesterday - still fighting the bug, albeit a much milder form than many people.  Still feeling it this morning but if I don't feel worse after work I might sneak in a few on the dreadmill.  It was nice to find our passports have arrived - 3 weeks and I'll be someplace warm!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

N-Bug - hope you feel better.

As for me - the doc says I can run! Yesterday I did 60 minutes on the bike trainer, myrtl with bands, core, other various body weight exercises, and .......I ran 1 mile! It was the first time I have run in 52 days. So I guess today will be a running rest day to let it all settle in.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

N-Bug - I started feeling a bit under the weather last Friday.  I just rested as much as humanly possible, and felt great the next day.  I hope you can kick that bug just as quickly.

Gustav!!! - That's great news.  Take it nice and easy, and just enjoy the process of coming back.  You've worked so hard during your non-running down time, that I'm sure you could go out and run for days.  I'm sure I don't have to tell you that it wouldn't be the best idea.  I'm excited for you though.

AFM - I had a tough 8 miles yesterday.  The speedwork that I'm doing for this new program is not like anything I've done before, and it really does tax the legs.  It feels good though.  I am really looking forward to seeing the results.  Also, I'm down about 8 pounds since the beginning of the year.  I could see myself being below 220 for my HM in March.  With the new speedwork, more miles, and more training I expected a PR in March.  Take away another 20 pounds, and I think I could run a really great race.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Gustav, thats great, take it nice and slow.

Vance, warm weather sounds nice.

Awood, I did a 9.5 mile speed work session on Tues and my legs are still sore.

AFM, RD after the biopsy. My lung and back feel much better this morning.

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.

Gustav -- great news!

Vance -- Ugh, hope you start feeling better soon.  At least you have a warm vacation to look forward to.

Awood -- congrats on the weight loss!

AFM -- 6-7 miles planned for today, but it might not happen.  I'm feeling a little under the weather this morning -- mostly head congestion / cold symptoms.  If it's not any worse this afternoon I'll go out and run easy for however long I can manage.

Bin Running

Gustav, Morning.. Congrats on being able to run.. Take it easy now..

Vance, Hope you nip that bug..You are going on a cruise, right?

Awood, Looks like the training is doing real well for you.. Anxious to know how much you had improved..

Mitch, Enjoy the RD..

Margo, Hope you get well enough to clock some miles..

Did 10M with last mile @ 9:15.. Sort of a fast finish.. Man.. runing 20 rounds on my "indoor" track is seriously boring...Might need to think of something else.. Well, my good luck continues.. I had a misplaced old navy parcel and it turn up today.. Don't ask me why..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins.

So, confession time. Planned to go to the gym, but overslept!!! And no time later....one job, then another, then a work Christmas party at my boss's new apartment. Yes, it's late for a Christmas party by almost a month but she always hosts thr; and her house was destroyed in Hurricane Sandy. Her new apartment is finally entertaining ready, so she's having it now!

Havr a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning everyone.  Probably can run outside again today.  Weekend starts today.

Glad you got the first run in Gustav !!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run around the university campus after work yesterday.   I ended up with 4 miles under sunny blue skies in a 58 degree temperature.  I got ambitious and did my campus hill route and then after getting back to the gym did an upper body weight training circuit on the weight machines.   Today after work I will go and get my race packet for my Saturday 5K and then it's off to Randolph Air Force Base to get in a few miles.  Temp today will be even nicer, 63 degrees - our normal high for this time of year - and lots of sunshine, sweet.

Sorry you are still fighting the bug, Vance.  I take it the someplace warmer you are going to is overseas with lots of beaches, sunshine, etc.

Yay, Gustav, glad you can run again!  Start out easy, don't do too much too fast and relapse.

Congrats on your progress, Awood, in both the speedwork and the weight loss areas!

Mitch, I hope you get great results from the biopsy.  The waiting is the hardest part.

Sorry you are feeling under the weather, Phillie, hope you feel better.   You might not want to push for 6-7 miles if your immune system is a little down, might make yourself feel worse.  Run easy until you feel better; which I hope is soon for you.

20 times around...Bin, you have a LOT of patience!  Not safe to do a run on the streets in your area?

Wow, Kristen, sorry your boss lost her house to Sandy, that sucks!  Glad she is reset with housing.  Hope you enjoy the belated Christmas party!

Weekend starts today?  Lucky Jerry!  Enjoy that outside run!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

Yay gustav!  Happy for you

Vance, you lucky dawg.

Awood, nice job on the weight loss.  I think your next PR will be a big one.

Bin, what was in the parcel?  do you always run on an indoor track?

Scotty, the next BIG race 5k in Huntsville is on Memorial day.  COTTON ROW  Its ranked in the top 100 of runners world list somewhere (or at least they advertise that) registration just opened for that.

Mitch, glad your lungs are feeling good, anxious to see some flakes today. Ha.

Phillie, get better soon.

Jerry, Enjoy your long weekend

Kristin, dont party too hard

I am supposed to do an easy 3 later.  We are also expecting 1-3 inches of snow.  Yay!  Tomorrow the sun will shine and it will be the first day we have seen the sun in 9-10 days? Constant rain here. Blah.  My kids are stir crazy.

~~~~~~~

Traci

i knocked out 3.2 this am. I didnt know how cold it was when I went out; when I got back it was in the upper 30's. The legs felt ok...not great. I am still trying to work out some kinks from sunday.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Bin Running

Kristin, Have a good day and enjoy the party..

Jerry, you seem to have a 3 day weekend most of the time.. Envy..

Scotty, Looks like a good running day for you.. if I am to run in the evening, there is too much car and human traffic on my usual route.. i don't have this problem if i am running on weekend as my route cover part of the business district area..

Traci, Enjoy the sun.. and snow... and rain... haa  I ran on the indoor track mostly on weekday.. It is 1/2 mile per loop so it is easy for me to count my miles.. I also do all my speed work on the indoor track. My wife order some cloths for herself and DS.. As I am in Singapore, I used a forwarder but they changed their address w/o informing us and the parcel was sent to the old address in DW oldnavy account.. We tried calling our local office and they insisted that we have to inform oldnavy to redirect the parcel.. Oldnavy can't because someone from the old address signed for it.. Seem like they still arrange pickup on the old place.. Not really sure how that work..

Tomas, seem like you have recovered from the FM.. Good job..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

From the Internet.

Woohoo, congrats Gustav!

I have my test run in an hour!! Surprised Wish me luck pens!

Jen16226

Good morning!

Absolutely exhausted this morning!  I stayed up late knowing it was my rest day and boy am I paying for it.....totally dragging butt.

I don't know if I had previously disclosed this or not, but I had decided in December that after running 5 5K's that I wanted to step it up because I have truly come to enjoy running/shuffling/moving my feet.  So I had decided that I was going to run a 10K in March and a HM in August.

The 10K I am running is in Florida.  The kids and I are going to fly down for a long weekend to visit my snowbird parents with the race only 5 minutes from their condo.  I am excited about it.  I know in my mind I certainly will not be the fastest, but am truly just looking forward to enjoying the experience and doing the best that I can.

The HM was my Christmas present from my parents. LOL  I knew full well if I had that thing paid for, there was no chickening out!  And I am one to plan waaaaay ahead, so I will have plenty of time to get my miles up and feel comfortable....at least I think I will.

Anyway, other than work, just relaxing at home afterward and most likely get a couple of episodes of Lost in with DD2.  For some reason we decided to start watching it on Netflix.  I had only seen it through season 2 when it was on TV.

N-Bug- Feel better.  Rest and lots of fluids.  Where are you going on vacation?

Gustav- Glad that you are now able to run again!

Awood- Good job on the weight loss.  I am tryin very hard in that department and know the struggle all too well.  Keep it up.

Hog4life- Glad you are feeling good!

Philliefan- Try Vicks Sinex Daytime.  It does a pretty good job of drying everything out.

Bin- As much as you think the indoor track sucks, I envy you for having that!

Kristin- Enjoy the party!  Where about do you live?  I grew up on Long Island.

Jerry- Nice on your weekend starting early!  Wish I had that.

Scotty- Enjoy your day today and I hope your skies are beautiful and blue again today.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K