Beginners and Beyond

Time to rest Thursday Penguins.. (Read 33 times)

Bin Running

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Morning guys!

Fever subsided after taking some panadol last night.. Think it is time to end my streak of 19 days and take a complete rest day.. Hopesmom is right, it is probably my body telling me that it is fighting something.. I had a little stiff neck 2 days ago.. Maybe the body is fighting an infection..

Well, it is 230pm here and a lovely day as it rained the whole night.. Very cool weather to run in.. Hope I will behave.. Meeting some ex colleagues for beer after visiting parent (home cooked food!)

Have a great day, Y’all

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Bin and Penguin colony!

Last night I had to cut my proposed 5 miler down to 4. I wasn't feeling it right from the get so. It was a little humid. I was sore from PT the day before and that was the main culprit. The thing is my pace was about a minute a mile faster than I thought I was actually running - that was strange. Anyway the PT is for 2 issues. First is my left shoulder, which has had chronic pain for several years. The second is a pain in my SI joint - sacroiliac. Back in February when I was doing full body workouts, core,  myrtls, and biking on , the trainer to make me bullet proof, it seems that I tweaked the SI. I did it on the bike. One ride I felt a slight twinge in my left adductor. A day or two later I felt a slight pain on the upper left glute.  A couple days later I felt it on the bike again so I pretty much stopped the bike. When I recently took the bike on the road I felt it after the ride. Oh well.

Zelanie - The good thing is you got a diagnosis. You will overcome it with PT!

Bin - rest is good

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Gustav, Morning.. Woohoo for a faster run..  4M is still a good run..

Well, I think I will behave.. I read abt Jack recommendation on skinnytaste and decided to make myself some chia seed pudding.. But the nearby supermarket doesn't stock them.. I found some flaxseed which seem to be abt the same.. Bought a small bag and have to decide what to do with it..

While I took a rest day, I signed up for 2 more runs.. haa  16.8K and 32K (with option to buy new Newton shoes).. So, overall a win day..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning!

Coffee is wonderful, that is all.

Probably taking today off too, hip is feeling better, but no need to push it.  I have a race next weekend and don't want to take any chances.  I *might* go out for a short easy run later, or I'll probably just wait until tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yikes seems like a lot of you are dealing with sickness and injury! Hoping you all recover fast.

I have been so out of touch here lately. I have not been running much AT ALL. These past 3-4 weeks have been terrible on my training. I have been really stressed, and my body's reaction to stress is to have trouble falling and staying asleep. But of course, once I get to sleep and get into deep sleep I have the hardest time waking up and getting up. As a morning runner, that wrecks havoc on my running routine when I oversleep my alarm, which happens ALL. THE. TIME. lately. Then there have been allergies which have been so bad I can barely breathe. Then I got a sinus infection. Then a bad cough that lasted all last week and carried a little into this week. I am running my 10K this weekend still but unfortunately may need to adjust my goal of sub-60. My training has been so pathetic lately.

Anyway....hope you all are doing well and those sick or injured feel better soon!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Mmmmm...beer

Kristin, sorry to hear that things have been rough, stress does some crazy things.  Just remember that you have the rest of your life to keep running and there will always be another chance to get that sub-60.  I like the ultrarunner's mantra of perpetual forward motion, so long as you keep moving, even slowly, you'll be ok, in life and in running.  Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  Sounds like a bit of a blah day today in the igloo.  Hopefully things get better from here.

So for those of you who didn't check in yesterday, the doc thinks I have patellar tendonitis.  Apparently I have a clompy gait and my kneecaps sit off to the outside a bit.  He says it's notoriously hard to get over, but can be managed.  I start PT on Tuesday, and they will start with a more thorough eval and recommendations.  Then it's 6 weeks of PT, and we reevaluate after that.  But the good news is it sounds like I will be able to start running again on soft, flat surfaces soon.  I will wait for my PT eval, I think, to get a more thorough recommendation.

Bin- I agree, it sounds like a RD is in order!  Hope you feel better!

Gustav- Hope your PT is helping you a ton.  Maybe your gait si changing as your SI gets stronger?  And making you faster?

D2- Sorry about the hip!  Hoping it heals up nicely for you!

kristin- The past is behind us already.  No need to worry about runs that didn't happen before.  Just look forward!

One Half So Far

Mornin, amigos.  Did about 5 last night, 8:45 pace.  Setting goal for June 1 race at 43:00.

Bin: Home-cooked meals are the best.

Gutav: Hope your tweaks work themselves out.

D^2: Coffee IS wonderful.

Kristin: Hope things get better soon.

Zel: Will see you on the road soon.  Good to know what's going on there.

I have an RD and a track meet to be in charge of today.  In the rain.  Funtimes.

Have a good day, all.

~Jeff~

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

good morning friends,

Bin- home cooked food and beers with friends sounds like a great day.

Gustav- way to go on that 4 miler. A fast 4 mile run is good.

Dave- heal up that leg. if you run, easy is good.

Kristen- maybe this race will be what you need to get you back in your groove. I am a morning runner and try to get out there even if i am half asleep. sometimes I think I sleep run until about mile 2 Smile

I got in 5.1 miles today. I am on a 4 day streak Smile

I have/get to attend our spring band concert tonight. They usually are not too painful, but my mom is coming into town and I doubt she will want to sit at a concert after driving 8-9 hours.

Make today great.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

2 sneaky posters got in.

Z- I hope the PT helps. will they try to work on your running form some, or just streghten the muscles?

Jeff- good run man. Have fun in the rain Smile

Tomas

Zelanie

Jeff- Good luck at the track meet!

Tomas- It sounds like they are going to start with gait analysis, etc. and make recommendations.  Then the following appointments will be the more traditional stretching/strengthening.  Hoping for some good info!

Jeff- Good luck at the track meet!

Tomas- It sounds like they are going to start with gait analysis, etc. and make recommendations.  Then the following appointments will be the more traditional stretching/strengthening.  Hoping for some good info!

this is my gait self analysis - shuffle feet too much. short stride. drags both feet. heel striker. i think my lil steps help me not get hurt Smile but also keep me slow Sad

Tomas

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  DH and I dragged ourselves out of bed this morning to do W4D3, so that's all good.  Since I have chorus tonight, and we're checking ID's for Fridays after Five on Friday (duh), we wouldn't have had any other time to get it in.  So, we made it out of bed at 5:15, which I never like doing.  
                              Anyway, I might swim today too, if the spirit moves.

Ok, I have to go scamper off and see if a friend of mine has stopped by ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Bin: Enjoy the beer and let me know how you like the recipe. DW loves that website. I am glad you are feeling better.

Gus: Yikes... Nothing "too" seious? I hope?

D2: You have been absolutely killing it lately so a complete rest day certainly won't hurt. I know it's addicting (at least I think I am, to a certain extent), but you have to know when to back off.

kristin: Life gets in the way sometimes. That is how my week has been going. Don't worry, it all comes back.

Zel: Best of luck to you and your PT. I am glad your doc says it is manageable.

J.Drumm: Nice run! That should be a good goal for your 5M race.

T-rod: Nice self gait analysis!

HsM: You WILL swim today!! Smile

As for me, we had dinner with my German relatives last night and I ended up having five beers. Needless to say, I missed my run. That is what I meant by life gets in the way sometimes. Today they are going to my parents' mountain place in Big Bear but they may stop by on the way back. I hope to get in an easy six today while DD is in the pool BEFORE the family comes over.  Is anyone else watching the series finale of "The Office" tonight? Enjoy the day.