Beginners and Beyond

Here Comes the Rain FriDAILIES (Read 50 times)

LRB

Supp!

I got 7.5 easy down w/ strides.  No rabbit this time, boo.  It was arm sleeve weather though, and I ran at work.  A coworker saw me doing strides and was amazed, little does she know I cannot really run that fast lol!

She said I looked like a race car all decked out in red and black, Zoom!  Zoom!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The weatherman yesterday morning said a high temp of 90 degrees, humidity of about 52%, dewpoint of only 69.  Not too bad.  So after work, off I go down to the San Antonio Riverwalk.  Start doing my run/walk.  After about a mile I am thinking to myself, dang this sure is a warm 90 degrees!  Still, feeling pretty good, doing okay.   Just past 2 miles I am really starting to feel it now.  Stop at a local IBC bank and use the water fountain - Riverwalk is very convenient with all the hotels, restaurants, businesses, etc, and most of the banks along there don't close till 6 cuz of all the tourists in the area, so very easy to find water fountains.  Ahh, better.   Now up off the Riverwalk and on the downtown streets and heading back toward my car.  Sticking to the sides of the street, close to the buildings where the shadows are, out of the sun.  Starting to really feel it now!  End up back at Tower of the Americas with 3.3 miles done.   Right as I finish, the DJ on the radio station I am listening to says "Anyone active today, be careful out there...there is a heat advisory as the current temperature is NINETY-SEVEN degrees and the dewpoint has shot up to 71, which means it is STICKY and humid outside, folks!  Drink water, find shade, stay safe!"    97 degrees!  Shocked    No wonder I was feeling a bit warmer than '90' degrees, lol.   Stupid morning weather guy!  I got myself a bottle of water from the Tower cafe, plus a VERY cold beer, sat by the cool Tower fountains, feeling the spray of the water,  and enjoyed that beer immensely, which I felt I really earned today!

Today is a rest day.  And, for once on a weekend, I am doing NO races this weekend, the race schedule for our area this weekend  unusually light for some reason. So I will just do some running and 'exploring' at a couple of local parks and see what kind of 'adventures' I can get myself into. Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jess runs for bacon

Morning! Day two of no smoking, doing pretty well. The past few weeks I have been having a hard time sleeping, but last night was the worst. I didn't fall asleep until 2am, and even then it was fitfully. I know it's a side effect though. But other than that, I am doing much better than expected. Rest day today.

B-Plus

Good luck Step and Brrrrrr.

Enjoy a well-deserved weekend off from racing and report writing Scotty. Be careful in that heat wave.

It's a 4 day weekend! I'm gonna sleep for another hour first though.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ooh, you're in Miami!

done with the morning court.  Now off to have lunch with a fellow attorney and then do the afternoon.  I'm all over the place this week.

The weatherman yesterday morning said a high temp of 90 degrees, humidity of about 52%, dewpoint of only 69.  Not too bad.  So after work, off I go down to the San Antonio Riverwalk.  Start doing my run/walk.  After about a mile I am thinking to myself, dang this sure is a warm 90 degrees!  Still, feeling pretty good, doing okay.   Just past 2 miles I am really starting to feel it now.  Stop at a local IBC bank and use the water fountain - Riverwalk is very convenient with all the hotels, restaurants, businesses, etc, and most of the banks along there don't close till 6 cuz of all the tourists in the area, so very easy to find water fountains.  Ahh, better.   Now up off the Riverwalk and on the downtown streets and heading back toward my car.  Sticking to the sides of the street, close to the buildings where the shadows are, out of the sun.  Starting to really feel it now!  End up back at Tower of the Americas with 3.3 miles done.   Right as I finish, the DJ on the radio station I am listening to says "Anyone active today, be careful out there...there is a heat advisory as the current temperature is NINETY-SEVEN degrees and the dewpoint has shot up to 71, which means it is STICKY and humid outside, folks!  Drink water, find shade, stay safe!"    97 degrees!  Shocked    No wonder I was feeling a bit warmer than '90' degrees, lol.   Stupid morning weather guy!  I got myself a bottle of water from the Tower cafe, plus a VERY cold beer, sat by the cool Tower fountains, feeling the spray of the water,  and enjoyed that beer immensely, which I felt I really earned today!

Today is a rest day.  And, for once on a weekend, I am doing NO races this weekend, the race schedule for our area this weekend  unusually light for some reason. So I will just do some running and 'exploring' at a couple of local parks and see what kind of 'adventures' I can get myself into. Big grin

Damaris

Ric-G

(since you've  been racing miles)  I was over at my son's soccer practice last nite. Ended up doing a double as I didn't just want to wait around. The school they practice at has a real track...not one of those torn up thrashed out middle school or park tracks. I decided to try a mile time trial. A few weeks ago I did one at 6:09 and felt like I was sliding all over on the loose dirt. Well on this track my time was 5:57. Who knows how exactly accurate any of it its. Anyway I was glad with the better time. But it is friggin hard to pace that thing and I felt like going into the red zone for too long would end it for me. Anyway now I might want to see what would happen if I did a mile race.

Nothing planned for later unless I can sneak in a few miles. 12 to 13 planned for tomorrow plus a graduation to go to. Have a good weekend all.

marjorie- good luck with your dog

Supp!

I got 7.5 easy down w/ strides.  No rabbit this time, boo.  It was arm sleeve weather though, and I ran at work.  A coworker saw me doing strides and was amazed, little does she know I cannot really run that fast lol!

She said I looked like a race car all decked out in red and black, Zoom!  Zoom!

marathon pr - 3:16

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Thanks April and B+.

Good luck LJ with no smoking. It's really tough. No smoking at home helped. No smoking in the car helped too. Honestly the best thing that helped me was to stop hanging around friends that smoke. It sucks but that's what worked.

- Andrew

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Hammy is home. Thanks for the well wishes. He is stoned on pain meds right now and sleeping it off. When I got back from my run he didn't even come to the door. Barely looked at me with hazy drugged doggie eyes and put his head down. I moved his blankets over so now he has the tucked under his head. They shaved the side if his face and he has a bunch if meds and antibiotics. At least no bug bite or cut. Just a big reaction to something outside.

Boon probably just normal daily fluctuation. Or PMS. Wait.......Evil  Um couldn't resist.

Marjorie

LRB

Who knows how exactly accurate any of it its.

I program a workout on the Garmin website to run 4 quarter mile splits.  That way, not only can you can see your splits and reference the way you felt during each, but it beeps at 1 mile.

I run on a pretty decent track as well and based on what you're saying you may be a 5:15 miler or better if you focused on it.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

YOU GUYS YOU GUYS

I squatted 176 lbs today.  They were grinders, don't get me wrong, and it took 2 sets to get them down (I hit maybe 3 of my first 5 and 2 of my second set of 3).  But that's an 11-lb PR!  Screw it, I'm putting my back squat in my signature with my other PRs.

Workout: 2 miles with strides before lifting, 2 miles easy to cool down after lifting.  I also ran 5 awesome resisted sprints on a Woodway treadmill--you put a belt on and it holds you back while you sprint, it's really cool.

hang clean, hang snatch

3 sets of:

back squats x 5

25 lb renegade rows x 10

Jacob's ladder 100ft

3 sets of:

kettlebell lunges 6 forwards/6 backwards

spiderman pushups x 10

Woodway sprints 10 sec. x 5

ab rollouts on a wheel, single-leg v-ups, bicycle crunches, v-ups, all x 6 x 3

Whew.  I'm SO TIRED.  My legs were still sore from deadlifting on Wednesday, too... I do love strength training.  The returns in sprint speed will be great.

Personals!

Good luck, Shari!

flarunner, glad you had nice weather.

Kristin, I have to wonder if your work transition might be contributing to running stress.  Life/emotions DEFINITELY affect my running for sure--I tighten up and my asthma gets bad and allll my runs get slow when I'm super-stressed.  So weird.  I hope you're able to transition out of this with maximum happiness. Smile And you know, you can keep in touch with some of the kids, right? like send them things--I try to do that with my students, but it's always hard to keep up.

Baboon, your running conditioning will come back faster than you think.  The first 2 weeks are unadulterated misery and then things improve.

Marjorie,  glad your dog is home and you got in quite a run there.

Damaris, nice 6 miler.

jblack, it is so sweet that you paced your friend and are getting family into running.  You may have lost one chance to race, but it's so rewarding to get other people into it or help them out.  I know I really love training my dad.

Andrew--ooh, good luck getting the Beardsley picture.  Post if it you manage it and good luck!

LRB--LOL, I love how you get little ego boosts from running.  They are well-deserved, you're in great condition right now.

scottydawg, yipes, that's hot.  I don't always notice how draining heat can be since I so prefer it to cold, but it's worth being careful, for sure.

Ric-G, congratulations on that sub-6 mile, that's fabulous.  Bet you'd be faster in a race.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

LRB

I squatted 176 lbs today.

Squats rock, congrats!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Wow scap.  Wow!

The run was a good one.  To wake me up from little sleep yesterday and to be glad the pup was okay.

Marjorie

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Must be nice to have rain, Step!  I think our rain is gone for a while.  90+ for our highs, all the way until next Tuesday.  Safe drive!  Well, you are probably gone now, so hope you are having a safe drive, and will have a great weekend!

Nice on the 7, flarunner!

Already responded on the Penguin thread, Kristin, so won't deja vu you here. Congrats on your new job!

There are two dailies today, Phil?  I didn't even notice, lol.  That probably explains a lot why I tend to run into things and fall down when I run...not very observant.   35 miles of biking one way to work!      That would be some workout, just one way!  Good luck with the comeback, just take it easy, go gradual, you'll get your running legs back.

So sorry to hear about your poor lil doggie, Marjorie. Glad he is in good hands....YOURS!  Love goes a long way toward the healing process!   Stoned on meds...you might have to change his name to Keith Richards...  Wink   Hope you can get your run in!  BTW,   how do you catch a basset hound?  With a bassinet.... Wink  ...corny, stupid joke, groan.... Joking

Yeah, Jimmy, good luck with getting your sister out for a few 5Ks!  I am curious as to how you are going to MAKE her run them with you.

Good luck with the post-work miles, April!  Hope your PM weather is cooler than ours!

Good luck to your mom in her 5K, Andrew!   And good luck with your half tomorrow!  I bet you will rock it!  Or should that be 'rocket'.

Congrats on your strides, LRB!

Kudos to you, Jess, for quitting smoking!  I have never smoked (legally) so I can't relate to what you must be going through, got to be tough!  I wish you all the luck!

4 day weekend?  Is there a holiday I don't know about B-Plus?  Or did you just make up your own?  Enjoy your long weekend!

Hope you are having a good day, Damaris.  Wait a minute..if you haven't passed out, that IS a good day, isn't it?  Wink  Stay safe, lovely young lady!

Dang, Ric, 5:57 mile!  Were you wearing your red Flash superhero suit?  Good luck with the long run tomorrow!

Scap..I squatted this morning too!  Then I couldn't get up!  Gail had to help me get up off the toilet seat...darn Old Man Legs!  Joking   Nice workout for you today! I got tired just reading your stuff!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Afternoon, Dailies!

Snuck in a 4 miler between night shifts, wearing the new Kinvora 4's! Nice, fast shoes.

It was something of a tempo/interval run with negative splits the first 3 miles, then an easy 4th mile except for a moth finish the last 0.1 mile.  9:04 overall pace. The shoes are light!!! I think I'm going to enjoy racing in them. Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Morning! Day two of no smoking, doing pretty well. The past few weeks I have been having a hard time sleeping, but last night was the worst. I didn't fall asleep until 2am, and even then it was fitfully. I know it's a side effect though. But other than that, I am doing much better than expected. Rest day today.

Good going, Lilac! It'll get better each day, I promise you.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54