Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES (Read 38 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hiya Dailies.

5 more miles last night on the windy track. Today will be a rest day but I might do some core work.  I hope to get some kind of long run in on Sunday just to see what my knee can handle. Eh, we'll see.

LRB

And stuff that usually didn't hurt in training will hurt in the race.  I vividly remember the calves and hips from mile 18 on in my last marathon.      Race pain though, not injury pain.

Oh God yes. I still remember heading onto the island last fall (which is about mile 19) and two spectators within a mile of each other called out to me (people I actually know!) and I ran right past them without so much as making eye contact. lol

As I later explained to them, I was at a point in the race where every single ounce of energy was being used to keep my legs moving. Nothing else mattered, nothing!

Baboon

delicate flower

As I later explained to them, I was at a point in the race where every single ounce of energy was being used to keep my legs moving. Nothing else mattered, nothing!

Fellow RA'er Dreamn shouted my name at mile 25 of Philly, so she says.  Big grin  I pretty much heard nothing at that point, and I don't wear headphones.

<3

LRB

I hope to get some kind of long run in on Sunday just to see what my knee can handle.

LRB

Fellow RA'er Dreamn shouted my name at mile 25 of Philly, so she says.  Big grin  I pretty much heard nothing at that point, and I don't wear headphones.

I know that's right!

onemile

LRB - I generally do a 3 day carb load where I try to increase my percentage of carbs without increasing my calories too much. (decrease fats and proteins and eat things only high in carbs).  Your Dr. Appt is tomorrow? How are you holding up?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry your SO is not feeling well, Lily.  Wow, an 8-hour bus ride sounds brutal...you can't drive to this place?

Too bad you don't live near me, Baboon...you could run with me because I could definitely help you go embarrassingly slow, lol.  Happy taper!  BTW...ugg, asparagus....Gail eats quite a bit of that stuff too...yuk....

Glad Rocky got his groove back, FreeSoul!  Sounds like you are rockin' your gym workouts!

Your back to bed sounds justified to me, Step.  The kids get to go on a field trip to a marsh?  Gee, all I ever got to go to on field trips was museums, planetariums, etc...

Sorry about the migraine, Damaris, hope you don't have court today, judge would probably not be pleased if you threw up there...would that be grounds for him to cite you for contempt?  Hope you feel better.

Bertha, what's geocaching?  As you can probably tell, I am not really the outdoorsy type, lol. My idea of 'camping' is Motel 6.

Good luck with the weather stalking, cjones.  Yeah, I'm not impressed too much with accuweather either

Sorry about the URD, oski...hope you feel better soon!

Hope your run goes well, K!  Being able to walk downstairs is progress.   Well, your co-worker may not appreciate San Antonio when we get to mid-July and August.  Other than that, we got it pretty good most of the rest of the year round.

Z, hope you left Crabby behind today!  Happy running!

LRB, are you on some kind of no-meat diet or something?

Old body, yeah, right, B-Plus;  happy miles tonite

Sounds like your knee is behaving better, Jack; hope it stays that way for you.

Getting ready to leave work in just under an hour....not looking forward to being in the MRI tube though...oh, well, I will probably just nap, like I usually do when I have to get into these darn things.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

LRB - I generally do a 3 day carb load where I try to increase my percentage of carbs without increasing my calories too much. (decrease fats and proteins and eat things only high in carbs).  Your Dr. Appt is tomorrow? How are you holding up?

I think I asked you that before, sorry. I am predisposition-ed to obsessing over what others do for pre and in-race nutrition. Just ask Boon. Whom I annoyed questioned so much that he answered it before I could ask in a race report once. lol

Physically, I can almost flex my foot completely upward without pain (towards the shin) which was completely impossible at its worst. The swelling has shrunken to an egg sized knot on the front of my shin, where it once encompassed both sides of my leg and part of my calf and was grapefruit sized.

Mentally on the other hand, I am really scared! lol - For all my positive thinking and placebo-effect food seeking remedies there is a real possibility that these are indeed new fractures and I am done.

In real life I am an optimist-realist so the realist in me has begrudgingly pondered the thought of a 8 to 12 week stint on the bench just in case that is indeed my fate. The optimist in me wants no part of any of it but 'tis better to be prepared than blindsided so we shall see...in about 24 hours actually, GULP!

LRB

LRB, are you on some kind of no-meat diet or something?

Whatever gave you that idea? lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Whatever gave you that idea? lol

LOL.

Damaris

StepbyStep-SH

Your back to bed sounds justified to me, Step.  The kids get to go on a field trip to a marsh?  Gee, all I ever got to go to on field trips was museums, planetariums, etc...

I can't brag enough about this program at my son's school. The third grade classes have MONTHLY field trips coordinated with the National Mississippi River Fish & Wildlife Refuge. They start out learning about what naturalists do and how to observe with their senses, along with learning to record weather data. The field trips themselves have included a full day to observe tundra swans and other waterfowl during the fall migration, harvest prairie plant seeds that they scattered a couple months later for a restoration project, learning about owls, and today checking out the invertebrates and other critters living in the water in the marsh. They found a variety of insects, fish, tadpoles, crustaceans, snails, etc., plus saw a coot, geese, egrets, a deer, red-winged blackbirds ... and a muskrat skeleton. The rangers who help lead the program are very enthusiastic and great at getting the kids involved.

Here's DS with a couple of the little fish the rangers caught in their nets.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

I will have a large kale salad for lunch...

That bitch was $14.

I was so shocked I almost fell out of my chair. lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That bitch was $14.

I was so shocked I almost fell out of my chair. lol

Cheaper than Miami, still....

Damaris

adkkev

I can't brag enough about this program at my son's school. The third grade classes have MONTHLY field trips coordinated with the National Mississippi River Fish & Wildlife Refuge. They start out learning about what naturalists do and how to observe with their senses, along with learning to record weather data. The field trips themselves have included a full day to observe tundra swans and other waterfowl during the fall migration, harvest prairie plant seeds that they scattered a couple months later for a restoration project, learning about owls, and today checking out the invertebrates and other critters living in the water in the marsh. They found a variety of insects, fish, tadpoles, crustaceans, snails, etc., plus saw a coot, geese, egrets, a deer, red-winged blackbirds ... and a muskrat skeleton. The rangers who help lead the program are very enthusiastic and great at getting the kids involved.

Here's DS with a couple of the little fish the rangers caught in their nets.

That is awesome!!  Smile  Hands-on learning for kids (and adults for that matter) is the best.

B-Plus

LOL.

LRB - flying out sat morning for a quick turnaround.