Beginners and Beyond

Mental Endurance for Marathon (Read 209 times)

meaghansketch

Not necessarily marathon-specific, but I enjoyed Matt Fitzgerald's two books on the mental aspect of running:

Run: The Mind-Body Method of Running By Feel

Brain Training for Runners

I have struggled a lot in the past with this in races, and I feel like the 'brain training' stuff helped me both train to be mentally stronger and helped me resist the urge to slow down unnecessarily during a race.  Since reading these books and trying to incorporate some of the methods I feel like I'm a lot stronger at the end of longer races.  It used to be that a bad mile was inevitable for me during a 10-K, as the voices saying 'no, it's OK, you can slow down' overrode the will to do my best.  Now, I find that even in 15-Ks and half marathons (still haven't quite got the marathon down), I am better able to resist the temptation to listen to that voice.

A cornerstone of the approach is race-pace running, which I find very useful since you can draw on that during a race: I am used to this, I can do this.  A key part of Run:.. is choosing workouts, which are to be repeated or adapted and repeated throughout your training cycle, which give you confidence.  So if running several 10K-paced repeats is a confidence-building workout for you (which leaves you feeling strong and gives you a good sense of your marathon fitness) you should repeat it a couple times through the training cycle; if miles at MP are what gives you confidence at marathon pace, then you might start with 6 miles at MP, and then halfway through the training cycle do 9 miles at MP, and then when you are close to peaking you might run 12 at MP.  He argues that one of the most important things going into a race is the confidence that you are up to the task, so whatever workouts you can do that will build your confidence are the right ones for you.

(There's a lot in both books I don't necessarily agree with, but overall I think they do a good job at addressing this aspect of training)

happylily

Hey Fsocks, why do you post unhelpful bullshit whenever someone asks a legitimate question?

I thought his reply was a little funny, but maybe I'm just tired...

FSocks, behave and be helpful, or get out of here. You've been officially warned. Big grin

(yes, I'm tired...)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Hey Fsocks, why do you post unhelpful bullshit whenever someone asks a legitimate question?

If its good enough for Yogi it's good enough for me.

You people have issues 

Birdwell

If its good enough for Yogi it's good enough for me.

Bear or Berra?

Did Boo-boo have any comment on the matter?

catwhoorg

Labrat

The marathon itself (4.5 hours for me) wasn't tough mentally, well maybe the last hour was a bit.

The couple hundred hours of training leading upto it was much tougher to get motivated for on a daily basis when tired, and generally much tougher mentally.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Either/both.

You people have issues 

LRB

LRB, I think I meant that on race day, it is 90% mental.

You prefixed your original comment with for you, so you're good.  But I actually agree with it as well, I just expounded on it a bit.

There were times during my first where it seemed as if it was 100% mental, such as mile 22 to 23, which to me, lasted about as long as the marathon itself.  Or when when I was running up that mountain (it was more like a speed bump) during mile 25 thinking, whose fuckin idea of a sick joke was this?!

My second was less about mental strength and  more about focus, which may have been due to a higher confidence level as some others have mentioned.

Village people

Some smart persom wrote that you run the first third of a marthon with your brain, the second third with your personality and the final third with your heart. I liked that.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The mental endurance or mental issues have only played a significant role in the marathons where I made poor pace judgments and physically struggled at the end along with the two marathons I ran when I was not well prepared for the distance. Not surprisingly there's less struggle mentally when the race is going well.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

The mental endurance or mental issues have only played a significant role in the marathons where I made poor pace judgments and physically struggled at the end along with the two marathons I ran when I was not well prepared for the distance. Not surprisingly there's less struggle mentally when the race is going well.

Yes, that's very true.

When I ran the first half of my 4th marathon at a pace faster than my HM PR, I had to rely a lot on my mental toughness in the last 2 miles to keep me from crying like a baby. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Yes, you must be mental to run marathons. Is that more helpful?

You people have issues 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Yes, you must be mental to run marathons. Is that more helpful?

Does the F in FSocks stand for flippant? I like your off the wall comments. Big grin

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Does the F in FSocks stand for flippant? I like your off the wall comments. Big grin

Not necessarily but I like it.

You people have issues 

paulski66

miscreant

Some smart persom wrote that you run the first third of a marthon with your brain, the second third with your personality and the final third with your heart. I liked that.

Um...

First third brains, second third legs, last third heart. Though if I could run a third with my personality, it would be a massive fucking WIN!

OP: Try this.:

http://www.amazon.com/10-Minute-Toughness-Training-Program-Winning/dp/0071600639/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373506707&sr=8-1&keywords=10+minute+toughness

Well worth  the $10...

EDIT:

And actually, I think it was first 10 miles with your brain, next 10 miles with your legs, the last 10k with your heart. Which is actually kinda silly...I used my hearth throughout each of my marathons.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Village people

Um...

First third brains, second third legs, last third heart. Though if I could run a third with my personality, it would be a massive fucking WIN!

OP: Try this.:

http://www.amazon.com/10-Minute-Toughness-Training-Program-Winning/dp/0071600639/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373506707&sr=8-1&keywords=10+minute+toughness

Well worth  the $10...

EDIT:

And actually, I think it was first 10 miles with your brain, next 10 miles with your legs, the last 10k with your heart. Which is actually kinda silly...I used my hearth throughout each of my marathons.

Um... :P