Beginners and Beyond

Wherefore Art Thou, MONDAILIES? (Read 37 times)

LRB

What is up thee?

Funny!  The only two supplements I swear by is glutamine and BCAA's.  The science behind them is proven.

So lil, does your recovery week just mean less or no quality work?  And hi!

Good afternoon Damaris.  Enjoy your run later.

Hi Lauren, you are doing so well!

Thanks for the gift Z, that was so funny!  LRB's Wine

Boon, Enquiring minds want to know!

Drew, race weight is probably the most overlooked thing when it comes to race day success, but the easiest to control.  The trick is find foods that fuel your workouts and recovery, but not your belt.

For me that is rice, beans, potatoes and pasta.  Cooked relatively clean without a lot of cheese, heavy sauces or creams.  The flip side to that is if you do have cheeses, sauces or creams is to simply limit the portions.

I say simply because actually it is, we just live in a society of excess so moderation is something that has to be rediscovered.  It can be done though!

Dave, I do not know if you are built like a runner but I do know your mileage has been off the chains!

Ditto for you Shari.  60 mile weeks take an incredible commitment.  Congrats to you!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, I think I am going start taking the BCAA's especially after my LRs. I bought the Gaspari Nutrition BCAA 6000 brand, do they have to be so freaking HUGE?

Funny!  The only two supplements I swear by is glutamine and BCAA's.  The science behind them is proven.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Yeah, I think I am going start taking the BCAA's especially after my LRs. I bought the Gaspari Nutrition BCAA 6000 brand, do they have to be so freaking HUGE?

I use the same brand, they are the best bang for the buck on the market.  You may not realize this but they are coated so they literally slide down.  I recently tried another product that has smaller capsule type pills and they hang up in my throat, even with food.

But yeah, no, to answer your question they all are pretty hefty regardless of the manufacturer.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Well, I'll admit that I tried taking two at a time yesterday morning which is probably why they almost got lodged in my throat 

I use the same brand, they are the best bang for the buck on the market.  You may not realize this but they are coated so they literally slide down.  I recently tried another product that has smaller capsule type pills and they hang up in my throat, even with food.

But yeah, no, to answer your question they all are pretty hefty regardless of the manufacturer.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

HobbitLegs

elevenses

4.75 completed during lunch. DH wants to do a group run this evening. It's sponsored by a beer market. I'm starting to notice a theme in his motivation to run. I'll take it though. That'll be another 3 if we end up going.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

4.75 completed during lunch. DH wants to do a group run this evening. It's sponsored by a beer market. I'm starting to notice a theme in his motivation to run. I'll take it though. That'll be another 3 if we end up going.

That's like a triple win? You run, he runs, then beer!

- Andrew

FreeSoul87, what's a BCAA?

Lauren710, great 4.35 this morning. I hope that lifting went well.

Zelanie, have a pleasant seven-miler. Thank you for reminding me to buy a jar of peanut butter. And that I need to start packing.

Phil, whatever it is, I hope that it's good.

Andrew, sweet seven on the TM.

Shari, enjoy your workout(s) later. I hope that your knee feels better soon.

DaveP MI, have a relaxing and refreshing SRD.

Nicole, brava on the 4.75 during lunch. Enjoy the run with DH, if that happens.

LRB

Well, I'll admit that I tried taking two at a time yesterday morning which is probably why they almost got lodged in my throat  

I can take 4 of them at a time, which is easier when you drink some water and hold it in your throat then toss the pills in before swallowing.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

That's like a triple win? You run, he runs, then beer!

I'm certainly not complaining! DH wants to start running more. How clever of him to find runs that all involve beer! Tonight should be very nice for an outdoor post-run beer. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Lot of catching up to do after being away from work for 3 days last week!  Just now getting to my lunch and to the forum.  How rude of work interrupting my forum time!    I did get a nice 3.2 miles in on Sunday, around 1 p.m.   Since it was a bit windy and rainy and chilly (for we South Texans anyway, only 48 degrees) the park was pretty much deserted, I had the place just about all to myself, making for a very peaceful and relaxing run on some natural trails.  Nice!    Today is a rest day.  And we're still having rain and crappy weather today too, bummer. Although we do need the rain, the city has been under water usage restrictions for about a year now.

Dang, Basya, all that you  are doing sure does not sound like you are in taper mode!   BTW, there is an older movie with part of that phrase - "Wherefore Art Thou" - that stars George Clooney.  I forget the whole title..."Brother, wherefore art thou?" or something like that.  Crazy movie..always cracks me up when I watch it.

74 miles is a recovery week, Lily?  You're about as hyper-active as Basya! 

I bet your DH is glad you can run again too, Damaris! 

Nice weather for you for a change, FreeSoul!  Enjoy it and try not to overdo it. What's a BCAA pill?

Congrats on your run, Lauren, glad you can run outside again!

36 degrees is Spring for you, Andrew?  Dang...   Tell your DW that's not fat, that's all muscle.   I need to have better control in the food department too..I am very bad at not staying away from "fast food".

Enjoy the cutback week, Zelanie!

The yoga and martial arts don't bother your knee, Step?  Seems like that type of activity would irritate it too.  Hope it gets back to 100 percent in no time!

Enjoy the SRD, DaveP.  Maybe go to bed early to prepare for the TM wake-up call.

Hobbit, your DH would probably like the Hash-House Harriers, lol.."Drinkers with a running problem..."

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

LRB most likely knows way more about the BCAA but I will quote things, it is an abbreviation for Branched Chain Amino Acids

http://www.gasparinutrition.com/products/bcaa6000/

"All BCAA’s are considered “essential amino acids” because your body can’t synthesize them from other compounds and they must be obtained through your diet. Bodybuilders and other high level, advanced athletes have known for years that the BCAA’s are responsible for helping to increase protein synthesis which can lead to faster recovery time, increased lean muscle mass and increased performance and endurance all around."

LRB - you most like have a bigger throat than me, being a man and all  I can't imagine trying to swallow 4 of those tablets but I will attempt what you said, at least once.

PRs

LRB

It's a trick I learned from a pill-head I used to date.  Believe it or not, I had trouble swallowing a single aspirin until she showed me that.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

LRB most likely knows way more about the BCAA but I will quote things, it is an abbreviation for Branched Chain Amino Acids

http://www.gasparinutrition.com/products/bcaa6000/

"All BCAA’s are considered “essential amino acids” because your body can’t synthesize them from other compounds and they must be obtained through your diet. Bodybuilders and other high level, advanced athletes have known for years that the BCAA’s are responsible for helping to increase protein synthesis which can lead to faster recovery time, increased lean muscle mass and increased performance and endurance all around."

LRB - you most like have a bigger throat than me, being a man and all  I can't imagine trying to swallow 4 of those tablets but I will attempt what you said, at least once.

How many tablets are in a bottle? And what's the dosage per day?   Be nice if the site would let you click on the label to let you read the ingredients, instructions, etc.   I am not a fan of those '3 times a day" supplements, you go through those in no time and that can end up costing some bucks, always having to replenish them. I like the 'once a day' stuff much better.  I'd rather spend the money on race entries, since I do so many races.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

How many tablets are in a bottle? And what's the dosage per day?   Be nice if the site would let you click on the label to let you read the ingredients, instructions, etc.   I am not a fan of those '3 times a day" supplements, you go through those in no time and that can end up costing some bucks, always having to replenish them. I like the 'once a day' stuff much better.  I'd rather spend the money on race entries, since I do so many races.

There's a button for "Supplemental Facts". It shows 6 pills is a serving, and there are 30 servings in the bottle. The instructions say you should do a serving once per day. It looks like something that would be right up anyone's alley who is doing some very intense training.

- Andrew

delicate flower

Just got back from my ass kicker run.  9.5 miles at 7:47 pace on one of my hill routes.  My legs felt good so I pushed them.  I was getting tired by mile 5 but I hung in there.  Run faster to run faster, right?  I've never run that route faster than I did today.  Now how the hell did I run that HM a few weeks ago a minute per mile slower?

HM in two weeks.  It's ass is mine.

<3